How do you maintain low calorie diet without starving?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've joined MFP a month ago, and I've been trying to keep my calorie intake within the amount that MFP suggests for me to achieve my goal (1200 kcal/day). I've been trying to eat less at every meal, but then I realize that I am constantly hungry. For a first couple of weeks, I was able to do it but recently, I just lost control and kept eating and eating... and the worst part is, I get really hungry around midnight. One day I reached ~2000 kcal/day...(~800 kcal over). Shameful, I know. =( Since then, I feel like I lost a momentum ... and I am afraid that I might go back to my old diet. I really do not want that to happen.

If you are also trying to maintain low calorie diet, how do you manage it without going too hungry? Many people seem to suggest that eating many small meals or snacks help. But because of the type of job I have, I cannot be eating every 2 hour...

Any good ideas? Are there any food items that you guys recommend that have low calorie and are filling?

Thanks =)

PS: I am also looking for new friends to get through this together!

Replies

• ITS_MY_CHOICE
    ITS_MY_CHOICE Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Open your food diary so people can see what foods you are choosing so we can suggest some swaps.

Choose filling foods. Fruit and veg, whole grains, low fat diary, and lean meats etc
  • mibrewer413
    Options
    MFP had me set to eat around 1300 cal/day and I just couldn't do it. Wasn't enough and I found myself to be weak, tired, hungry and cranky. I went on some websites such as scoobysworkshop.com and figured out my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure which includes your activity) and then from there I took a 20% deficit. I also got a Bodymedia Fit armband which also calculates my TDEE and I can monitor during the day how many calories I am burning. I usually burn about 2200-2500 calories a day and so therefore I eat around 1600-1800 calories. If you are going to stick with what MFP gives you make sure you eat your exercise calories back especially if you are hungry.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day and sometimes I have trouble eating that much food. Here is what I've eaten today and I still have calories left. . . Half size serving of Quaker Oat Squares, fresh pineapple, yogurt, fresh strawberries, whole almonds, canned tuna, Kashi crackers, hummus, pita chips, steamed carrots, steamed sugar snap peas, butter lettuce with balsamic vinegar, grilled chicken sliced thin, string cheese, a Hershey dark chocolate Bliss square.

I nibble and graze. I stretch one meal out until it nearly runs into the next snack and so on. I know that some jobs make this more difficult. I'm a teacher, but I still manage to have small bits of food at my desk and manage between classes to have a bit. I never allow myself to be hungry. If it gets to be evening and I still need a little something, I will air pop a little popcorn or have some sugar free jello just to keep my mouth busy. Or best yet, I go to bed. More sleep is better for weight loss anyway.
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi Maisfree,

Glad you asked this. I`m new too, and very interested in the answer. So far I`ve curbed my hunger with apples and fat-free cottage cheese (also eating other things too obviously), but I`m sure that I`ll get sick of that soon. I could easily blow my entire calorie budget on one dinner.

It would be interesting to see how others maintain this over the long term with interesting and good tasting food.

Cheers,

M.
  • vmcase
    vmcase Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm only one week in............and my calorie count is higher (around 1500). I chose the "lose 1 lb a week" option, which also gives me a few more calories.
    I find that I am still hungry on 1500 calories, but with the extra calories I earn for exercise (shooting for about 300 per day).........I am pretty satisfied.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I eat around 1500 calories a day and feel staring, so I feel your pain. Eat lots of green healthy veggies at very meal. Pick foods that you get more food for less calories, like maybe leaner meats or fish...you get to eat a larger quantity of them for fewer calories. Stay away from calorie dense foods like nuts, etc. Drink lots of water. Hot flavored tea may help too.
  • wigginsash
    Options
    I was having a difficult time recently trying to stay at 1200 calories but opted to up my caloric intake to 1350 per day and increase my activities. By increasing my workouts, I can earn extra calories to my daily intake. Yes it's extra work but it allows me to indulge a little so I don't feel like I'm being deprived of anything.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just eat as many 0 calorie foods as you can bc they dont count
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Oh yes, work out more/harder to earn more calories to eat!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I do eat nuts and other calorie dense foods because, besides being nutrient rich, they satisfy hunger much longer than high carb "emptier" foods. I will amend my previous post. . . it is important to know that 1200 calories is indeed the correct level for you. It is possible that I am fine with that amount because my BMR is 1120 and my TDEE is 1700. With proper planning and plenty of variety, I have high energy and satisfaction on my plan. But if you are really hungry, it might be because it's just not enough food to fuel your body. Know your numbers.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Agree I like paper (shredded paper goes down easier). That keeps me full all the time.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Things that have worked for me:

1. Coffee curbs my appetite.
    2. Sugar-free gum (again curbs my appetite).
    3. Protein-heavy foods (which I find very filling, much more so than carbs).
    4. Beans as a replacement for potatoes, rice, and other starches.
    5. Lifting weights keeps hunger at bay (for me).
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Most nuts and seeds have a hunger suppressing quality but need to be portioned due to the calorie content. For a low calorie diet, focus on protein, fiber, healthy fats. If you don't have enough protein or fat, you will almost certainly be hungry a lot. Eat your exercise calories if you are hungry. Make sure your activity level is set high enough and don't try to lose more than 1 lb a week. You may be able to get more than 1200 calories by tinkering with your calories--though not necessarily depending on your stats.

Feel free to add me if you like!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Agree I like paper (shredded paper goes down easier). That keeps me full all the time.

^^Love this. Almost peed a little.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    There's no need to eat 1200 calories--go for walk, workout, take weight loss slower--I would DIE IF I TRIED 1200 CALORIES! ((and i am 4'11)
  • maisfree
    maisfree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to public, and it's quite embarrassing to reveal what i've been eating but I am open to suggestions! Thanks =)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Easy. Reduce carbs, eat more healthy fat. Fat helps keep you full and is less depressing than low fat/high carb *cheesy grin*
  • schiesm
    schiesm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question:smile: I have been so hungry every day and sometimes after dinner I end up eating a 4th meal which puts me over on calories. :frown: I could also use some help in this area. Marcy
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I do low carb. Works for me. Keeps me fuller longer.
  • bethanyabad
    bethanyabad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so full right now, and under calories for the day. Try no carb/low carb. You will feel full and happy!!