I Just Can't Stop!

Options
Both today and yesterday, I've "fallen off the wagon"--attacking the peanut butter, the almond butter, the cereal...ANYTHING sugary. And once I start I can't stop, even when I'm in physical pain and it feels like my stomach is ready to burst. I've been keeping my caloric intake at a moderate 1400 (net is lower from exercise, but not too low), so it's not like I'm starving or anything... Ugh, what is wrong with me? Why can't I stop eating all this crap? Please, if someone can help me, I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Are you skipping breakfast? Or missing sleep? Those are usually my surefire triggers.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    i cant tell you why you are doing it, only that you are not alone! Last week i was terrible, i kept snacking all the time, evenings were the worst, i would eat toast, crisps, sweets, chocolate.......even when not hungry. I went to my friends for a few days and because i was busy i just didnt think of snacking. Since i have come home i try to do an activity in the evening (or when i feel like snacking) such as crochetting or drawing, anything to keep my hands busy. If i want to snack i will give it ten minutes and then reevaluate after ten mins and usually not hungry then and dont snack!
  • ClearAsMud94
    Options
    I never skip breakfast, but my sleep schedule has been a bit off lately... That could be part of the issue. Thanks. =)
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I do not know how accurate they are are but I have seen different versions of charts similar to this:

http://www.dailytransformations.com/2011/05/05/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/

Maybe give that a shot and see if you can switch out your cravings for alternatives to see if there maybe is a source deficit. Just a thought. No harm done if it doesn't work.
  • ClearAsMud94
    Options
    That's almost EXACTLY the same issue I've got; if I don't have anything to do, my mind automatically wanders toward the cupboards/fridge...and then my feet follow. And it's especially difficult in the evenings for me, too.
  • ClearAsMud94
    Options
    I've looked into these "swaps" before, and it's helped in the past (particularly the magnesium/chocolate bit). I think I'll have to consult this chart more regularly. Thank you. =)
  • carmie12345
    Options
    I fell of the wagon earlier this week with a jar of Nutella. I was ashamed and my first thought was not to log it because I was afraid of how bad my calorie count would go up. But I logged it anyway. When you fall off the wagon keep up with your logging because it helps to hold yourself accountable. After seeing how much the Nutella added up I was motivated to finish the day off with light salads and exercise to bring myself back around to my daily goal.

Also I threw out the jar of Nutella to make sure I couldn't go back for more, hahahaha.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Both today and yesterday, I've "fallen off the wagon"--attacking the peanut butter, the almond butter, the cereal...ANYTHING sugary. And once I start I can't stop, even when I'm in physical pain and it feels like my stomach is ready to burst. I've been keeping my caloric intake at a moderate 1400 (net is lower from exercise, but not too low), so it's not like I'm starving or anything... Ugh, what is wrong with me? Why can't I stop eating all this crap? Please, if someone can help me, I'm open for any and all suggestions.

When we gorge like this its because our bodys are telling us we lacking something in the items. Sugar seems to be the target here... the amount of peanut butter could be progein as well. I'd suggest eating 1-2 whole fruits with breakfeast and getting some protein bars or shakes. Try this for a week see if it helps fit the binge off.

If you are just starting out it takes the body 7-21 days to adapt to new dietary changes. Keep that in mind.
  • melann1974
    Options
    Same here. I've been craving sugar (ice cream, candy bars, etc). Not sure why.
  • wigginsash
    Options
    Figure out what triggers these cravings. My problem is at work! Everyone has a basket of candy on their desk. I recently made a pledge not to touch any of those baskets. It's sad. Two days in and I feel like I'm going through withdrawals. I can't even look at them when I walk by but I'm determined not to touch them. Good luck!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep makes you crave carbs and sugar because they're the quickest sources of energy. Quickly burned up and used. Empty. Happens to me all the freakin' time. I opt for proteins.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1400 isn't much--what sorts of exercising are you doing and for how long?
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    none of this advice seems helpful....have you been eating artificial sweeteners? even if its just gum, aspartame and sucralose seriously RAMP up fatty food and sugary food cravings and its a pain in the butt. theyre even worse than real sugars imo