How did you start running?

Options
I would like to start running. I do not know anything about it, except to get out and just start doing it. How did you guys start running?

Replies

• blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started with the Couch to 5K plan now I'm training for my second half-marathon.

BTW, I love your InuYasha ticker! :love:
  • tiffeh345
    tiffeh345 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much. I do, too! (Obviously!) :)

I have heard a few people talk about the Couch to 5K. How was it?
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    THis is my third time getting back into running. The other two times I pushed myself too fast and I think that is why I have been plagued with injuries. This time I am doing the Couch to 5k and I'm on the third week and so far so good.

Good luck!
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I was at the gym, on the treadmill and had this... burst of energy, I just cranked er up.. and gave er *kitten* LOL I am sure my form is horrid, and I have to have my music cranked so I don't hear the thud thud of the machine HAHA But I like it: :)
  • momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started with the Couch to 5K plan now I'm training for my second half-marathon.

BTW, I love your InuYasha ticker! :love:

I agree the Couch to 5k is the way to go. If you follow the plan and stick with you will be running three miles by the end. You can find many free plans on the web. Good luck :)
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K on May 2nd. I now run 3 miles, several times a week.

Before you start, PLEASE go to a running store and get fitted forr running sneakers so you don't get an injury
  • blaquebutterfly75
    blaquebutterfly75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I loved it. I had never been a runner my entire life until I started the program. I used the app on my smartphone. You can also find it on www.coolrunning.com. Each run, I found my confidence and love for running grow. I've been hooked ever since.
  • tiffeh345
    Options
    Free? You totally have my interest!

I would love to do C5K but I do not have a job at the moment so that is probably not going to happen.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I used c25k and I'm now training to run a half-marathon.
  • tiffeh345
    Options
  • thewestwifey
    thewestwifey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I too endorse the C25K program. I just started week three, and it was surprisingly easier than I thought! You just have to push yourself, but you don't have to "run" you can "jog" at a comfortable pace. If you go too fast, you will get burnt out quickly.

And most definitely, INVEST in a great pair of running shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted, it will make ALL the difference! Good Luck!
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5K is the way to go. the program on the cool runnings website costs about $19 apparently but I've found this link for you which at the very end has a program which is very similar to C25K. The stuff at the beginning might be worth reading too if you want to avoid injury/burnout.

http://www.denison.edu/offices/humanresources/beginnerrunwalk5k.pdf
  • tiffeh345
    Options
    Thanks. I will definitely check that link out.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5K is an awesome program to get started...that's what I did..sort of... It starts you out walking more than running until you get to the end then you're running the whole time...the goal is to run a 10 min mile for 3.2 miles. It's a great program for beginners.

Thank you very much. I do, too! (Obviously!) :)

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i started with c25k end of february, then switched to a 10k plan out of the beginning runner's handbook, took a tumble on an 8k run and had to take a break. now i run 5k every other day, working back up to 8k, 10 hopefully by the end of the year.
    you don't need to follow c25k to a tee, but understand the principles. don't increase too fast, take a day's rest inbetween sessions and repeat them if you need to. you can do half steps inbetween. or just start out walking 30 or 45 or so minutes, then gradually start running more and more of it.
    using a plan is good because it gives you something to stick to though.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love C25K! I've done it several (too many, really) times now. I always have to re-do a run from time to time, and it usually takes me longer than 9 weeks, but it always gets me up to 5k! I'm on week 7 right now.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I also did C25K with the free app on my iphone + my treadmill.

Now I run outside and use the Zombies Run! app on my iphone.

My thighs are really strong now :)
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    I was at the gym, on the treadmill and had this... burst of energy, I just cranked er up.. and gave er *kitten* LOL I am sure my form is horrid, and I have to have my music cranked so I don't hear the thud thud of the machine HAHA But I like it: :)

That sounds like me too! I started a high intensity training and went to a 5.0 on the treadmill and next thing you know I loved the feeling! I am sure it just sounds horrid and shakes the whole room but I cant hear anything cause my music is jammin and Im in my own lil world!! I am NOT a runner and running is scary as hell to my 228 pound 5 foot 8 inch frame but Im starting to love it!