Lose weight or maintain?

Options
Hello! I'm relatively new to MFP and only recently started reading the forums online (I usually just use the app on my phone). Initially I set my goal to lose weight, but now I'm wondering if I should just maintain my weight and wanted some experienced opinions/advice. I'm 5'7" and weigh 121 lbs. I know that this is a healthy "weight" for my height, however I'm quite flabby and not at all in shape. I want to lose the fat, so I've been doing cardio 5-6 days a week (usually 30-60 minutes a day) for about two months now and I recently added in the 30 Day Shred video. So far I've had my calorie goal set to lose weight, and it's been very very slowly coming off (I started at 127ish two months ago).

So I guess my main question is: should I change my calorie goal to maintain my weight, and just keep exercising -- or for the best results, should I keep doing what I've been doing (with my calorie goal set to lose weight)? Basically I just don't to be sabotaging my results out of ignorance.

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Add lean mass then cut the fat. You are almost underweight for your height, being flabby means you probably have very little lean mass.

At the very least I would look into strength training, cut back on 6 days of cardio, and eat at maintenance.
  • KevGG89
    KevGG89 Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you tried any weight training?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd set to maintain. As a previous poster said, you're close to being underweight for your height (not at all trying to say you're unhealthy or anything!). Just work on strength and interval training to get rid of the flab and build some lean mass.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'd DEFINITELY not lose anymore, you'll stay flabby or become extremely underweight trying to lose the bodyfat. Heavy weights are your best friend and eat AT MAINTENANCE or slightly more to build muscle.
  • followmyredthread
    Options
    I have not been doing any strength training. Does cardio interfere with gaining lean mass? If I start strength training, how much should I cut back on the cardio? Thanks for the replies!
  • KevGG89
    KevGG89 Posts: 7
    Options
    Too much cardio does interfere with building muscle, especially if you're overworking yourself on it. However, since you haven't targeted your muscles, you should get some good "noob gains". Just up your calories above maintenance but try to keep it clean if you can, and hit the weights.