Creative Snacking

A light lunch left me pretty far under for my calories after dinner, so I was rummaging in the kitchen for a nutritious and delicious snack. What I came up with: I ran a Dove Dark Chocolate Promise across my microplane, stirred the shavings into a TBSP of peanut butter, and spread the mix on a slice of Honey Wheat Bread. Pretty darned tasty, if I may say.

What new creations have you made in your kitchen?

Replies

• sliced up apple slices drizzled with warm peanutbutter and topped with dark chocolate chips or
    baked apples in truvia and cinnamon and then added to greek yogurt/frozen yogurt or
    frozen berries and greek yogurt blended to make a sorbet
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Yes, that's most definitely a winning combination. Similarly, I enjoy dark chocolate (70% or 86%) with cherries -- great together as well.

As for creations, I make protein fluff: scoop of whey protein, 2 oz. of milk, and 6 oz. of frozen raspberries. I combine the ingredients with a blender or hand mixer and within a few minutes it turns into a soft ice cream like treat.

Chocolate chips made with almond flour, coconut flour, stevia, and dark chocolate chips are also delicious -- sans the typical insulin spike.

I also like to drizzle honey over slices of apple.
  • sharonloraine
    sharonloraine Posts: 69 Member
    bump
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    1/2 cup part skim ricotta
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1 tsp stevia or other natural sweetener

Put all in blender until creamy, chill 1 hour. I usually top it with some sliced strawberries or sugar free whip cream. It tastes like peanut butter mousse.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    I love air popped popcorn with a little salt and lime zest; 1/2 cup no sugar added vanilla icecream with a tbsp of melted peanut butter drizzled over top (sometimes with shaved dark chocolate too) and homemade eggplant chips with homemade garlic hummus.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Wheat thins with a smear of peanut butter and slice of strawberry on top, english muffin with marinara and part-skim mozzarella melted on top (sometimes turkey pepperoni), ripping off pieces of string cheese and wrapping them with deli turkey slices with a dab of mustard (actually get a lot of these 'mini roll ups' from one light string cheese), hummus on celery with pine nuts sprinkled on top (greek ants on a log i call it), i use taco sauce and salsa as a salad dressing with a little cheese and LF sour cream for a taco salad, any fruit dipped in LF sour cream or cool whip mixed with a little brown sugar.......i may be the queen of odd snacking
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    1/2 cup wheat flour
    1/2 cup buttermilk pancake mix
    1/2 cup soy milk
    2 Tbls Strawberry Preserves

mixed it up and dropped it out on a cookie sheet, baked at 350 for about 7 minutes.

been mixing up all different kinds of things with the wheat flour-pancake base lately.
  • Today my great idea was:

Mini tortilla wrap - 100 calories
    extra thin provolone cheese slice- 40 calories

lightly grilled both sides, dunked it in tomato sauce/salsa - 10 calories

A small little treat and win for the afternoon :p
  • halips

Put all in blender until creamy, chill 1 hour. I usually top it with some sliced strawberries or sugar free whip cream. It tastes like peanut butter mousse.

I love peanut butter, this sounds yummy!
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    could you link to your recipe for hummus if it's online? i've tried Ina Garten's and the texture is always off plus always too lemon-y
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    just finished eating some air popped popcorn with olive oil spray, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Yummy!
  • 1/4 cup cottage cheese
    1/4 cup oatmeal
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    dash cinnamon
    2 packets sweetener or 2 tsp brown sugar

-- blend. cook in pan sprayed w/ cooking spray. healthy pancake.

top w/ berries or a sliced banana and whipped cream or melted jam
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    :heart:
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    bump
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    1/2 C vanilla ice cream
    1/2 C unsweetened pumpkin pie filling

mixed together is delish n totally makes me feel like holidays w/out the prep of a actual pumpkin pie(plus the pumpkin pie filling is less calorie dense than the ice cream so I double the size of my dessert without doubling the calories)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Half a cup each of blue, rasp and cut-up strawberries drizzled with an ounce of rum. :bigsmile:
  • halips
    could you link to your recipe for hummus if it's online? i've tried Ina Garten's and the texture is always off plus always too lemon-y

This is the base recipe I started with.

http://www.marthastewart.com/340261/roasted-garlic-hummus

I don't always use the chives or lemon and cut back a little on the tahini. Good luck
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Fresh Bing Cherries in season now. I take the pits out then mix them into Fage 0% greek yogurt,, add stevia & vanilla ....OR mix a bunch of them into 1/2 c. serving of light vanilla ice cream and it's like Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    My lower calorie mac and cheese substitute

1 cup cooked quinoa with 1 tablespoon grated parmesan and 1 wedge laughing cow swiss cheese. Mix the cheese into the quinoa when its still piping hot. MMMMMM

And because I am crazy over mint chocolate chip ice cream but don't like to keep an entire half gallon or pint in the house

1/2 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
    1/2 tsp mint extract
    1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
    Mix together in a bowl and yuuuuuuum
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Frozen fruits: grapes, blueberries, watermelon.
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member

I love peanut butter, this sounds yummy!

It is. I made it for a family get-together and everyone, even the kids, went nuts for it. My little niece asks for it everytime she comes over.