How do you maintain low calorie diet without starving?

Options

Replies

• maisfree
    maisfree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have to ask this. Are you really hungry....or do you just want to eat?

I used to keep a food diary on my own a while back, and I know that I used to eat around ~1600 kcal/day. From that to 1200 kcal/day is a big change for me apparently, and my body continues to remind me that I am hungry... :(

I am a bit confused by the question, because when I am really hungry, I want to eat. I never want to eat when I am not hungry... =/
  • It_never_ends
    It_never_ends Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    1,200 is your NET amount. If you eat 1,200 and burn 300 eat 300 more. Maybe start at your BMR and slowly work your way down? As for feeling light foods, Fruits, Veggies and water are really your only options.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Just eat as many 0 calorie foods as you can bc they dont count
    Yes they do. A calorie is a calories. What do you mean they don't count?

keyword..."0 calorie foods"...now what these "foods" are I couldn't begin to tell you because I thought food, by definition, provided energy, nutrients, etc. Apparently I was wrong.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I enjoy this radio program .... and I found this helpful for long term weight loss. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/2009/12/fat-2-fit-83-eat-more-weight-less/
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I had to UP my calorie goal.MFP had me at 1250. I was way too dizzy and weak. I had to go up to 1400. When I was young I could easily do 1000 a day. Now I am old and dizzy.
  • KerriEmslie
    Options
    Hi there

I know your feeling I am constantly looking for food between 4 to 6 pm.

Have you tried drinking more water each time you get a c raving, or is it possible you can nibblie
    on some carrot sticks. I find this helpful

Green tea also sends the hunger bugs away.

May I ask are you in a very active job....
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Ice Cubes?? maybe??
    Yes they do. A calorie is a calories. What do you mean they don't count?

keyword..."0 calorie foods"...now what these "foods" are I couldn't begin to tell you because I thought food, by definition, provided energy, nutrients, etc. Apparently I was wrong.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    1200 is not the magic number. I don't know why MFP tells people to eat 1200.... that's too low for most people. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 500 from that. When I was losing weight I was eating around 1500-1600 plus I would exercise and eat back all the calories that I burned. So some days I was eating closer to 2000 calories. I lost weight at a steady rate and have kept it off.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Agree I like paper (shredded paper goes down easier). That keeps me full all the time.

Depends on the type. Photo paper is a little tricky

Just use some kind of liquid. Instead of cereal in the morning i have cardboard and milk. It goes down kind of easy. Plus its a lot cheaper then paying for cereal too.
  • SC74
    SC74 Posts: 33
    Options
    Having been a grad student recently myself, I understand that fresh produce is not always within budget. But frozen produce is reasonably priced and is on sale at grocery stores fairly regularly.
    I came across this link with general guidelines for healthier and more filling eating, basically summing up what many people have already posted.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/energy_density.html

I think that now that you are more aware of what you're eating, you will make food choices that are better for you.
    And oh yeah, stock up on apples. They're a magical food, in my opinion!

Good luck!
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Oh, and eat pasta like you would Ice cream.....sparingly. Those are CHOCK FULL of calories, sodium, and carbs.

HUH? Sorry, no, this is just false. There is NOTHING wrong with pasta, in moderation, just as there's nothing wrong with brown rice, quinoa, or lentils. What's with the carb bashing?

Click:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5798/2
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5784/2

since when is 220 calories or 183 mg of sodium a lot?

My point is what are you gettin in return for them calories? Carbs? Protein is barely there. And that serving (mind you, the source listed is USDA) is only 1 cup. Sorry but 1 cup doesnt do it for me....maybe for someone that is petite. I am not sure what her body type is, but pasta and bread doesn't really work for me. to be satisfied, I would have to have a bowl, which is about 3-4 cups. Add in any oils or cheese that is used in cooking/eating the pasta, and you are up there. To me, they are pretty empty calories. I have gotten rid of pasta and bread, but I will still have rice, as it has great potassium content, althought not as much as potatoes or greens.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    lots of veggies and meat.
  • maisfree
    maisfree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I know your feeling I am constantly looking for food between 4 to 6 pm.

Have you tried drinking more water each time you get a c raving, or is it possible you can nibblie
    on some carrot sticks. I find this helpful

Green tea also sends the hunger bugs away.

May I ask are you in a very active job....

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I will try bringing carrots to work then =) I am a grad student who works at a research lab. I dont think I am particularly more active than people with other jobs, but I tend to run around doing multiple things without sitting down for hours when doing experiments... I do get to sit down when there is no experiment, but then I guess I just have to get into the habit of eating small healthy snacks here and there..??
  • SierraSwearingen
    Options
    I feel hungry a lot also. I'm trying to 'make friends' with that 'hunger pang' feeling, rather than thinking it's dangerous. I tell myself that pang is the feeling of losing weight, and it's good!

But here are my tricks for avoiding the feeling:
    (1) I make breakfast the biggest meal of the day, and load on the protein. It has "staying power" to get me through to lunchtime.
    (2) When I feel hunger pangs in the afternoon, I drink a giant glass of water.
    (3) Lifting weights seems to kill my hunger pangs, so that's kind of a motivator to get to the gym.

I have been working out and dieting all summer with very little results, by the way. At the beginning of the summer I set my stats to lose one pound per week and guess what? I lost zero pounds per week. So I reset my stats to drop two pounds per week. I immediately started losing weight, but I also started feeling hunger pangs. Maybe it just comes with the territory.
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    so glad for this thread! I just started and am already feeling that hunger-low. I'm going to try some of the suggestions on here. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Oh, and eat pasta like you would Ice cream.....sparingly. Those are CHOCK FULL of calories, sodium, and carbs.

HUH? Sorry, no, this is just false. There is NOTHING wrong with pasta, in moderation, just as there's nothing wrong with brown rice, quinoa, or lentils. What's with the carb bashing?

Click:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5798/2
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5784/2

since when is 220 calories or 183 mg of sodium a lot?

My point is what are you gettin in return for them calories? Carbs? Protein is barely there. And that serving (mind you, the source listed is USDA) is only 1 cup. Sorry but 1 cup doesnt do it for me....maybe for someone that is petite. I am not sure what her body type is, but pasta and bread doesn't really work for me. to be satisfied, I would have to have a bowl, which is about 3-4 cups. Add in any oils or cheese that is used in cooking/eating the pasta, and you are up there. To me, they are pretty empty calories. I have gotten rid of pasta and bread, but I will still have rice, as it has great potassium content, althought not as much as potatoes or greens.

well, that is YOUR perspective...that doesn't mean it has no redeeming qualities. you can easily bulk up pasta by adding in broccoli or spinach...topping it with lean protein and tossing it all together with marinara sauce. many ww brands are 180 calories per serving...so 1.5 servings is only 270 calories, add in 3-4 oz chicken for 120 calories, and 1/3 cup sauce for another 50 and 2 servings broccoli for 60...that's a rather large portion at a total of 500 calories. If someone LIKES pasta it can fit and shouldn't be completely cut out.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    You really have to change your menu from what you are used to. You can't just have the same things only less.
    Start fresh. When you need a dressing don't reach for the olive oil and the mayo, use spices instead.
    Keep perfecting your menu to find what works for you, stick to it with the insane determination of a skinny *****!
  • SierraSwearingen
    Options
    More feedback:

(1) in the grocery store, stick to the outside aisles. If you go into the aisles, that's were all the mega-empty-calorie foods are. You'll feel more satisfied and less hungry if you stick to the meat aisle, dairy aisle (except ice cream and cheese), and fruits and vegetables.

(2) Avoid being able to see junk food. Visuals are a powerful motivator to eat food that's bad for you. After months of complaining, I finally convinced my (adorable) husband to put the Oreos in the cupboard. Don't leave them out where I can see them! That has made a big difference.
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    If you have a trader joes they have already cooked organic rice in the freezer section you just pop it in the microwave for 3 min it's awesome! Also I do a protein shake with soy milk in the mornings with 2 slices of Ezekiel sprouted grain bread it's a dense high fiber bread. Other than that eat lots of veggies lean meats and dense carbs no white bread or white rice. Protein will keep you full. Also every time I get a hunger pain I drink a 16 oz glass of water and wait 10 min and usually it's gone. :)