Do you log food before or after you eat?

I use my food journal to plan my day and what I will eat. For me this is what works best, plus I don't have to remember to log it.

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    I do a little of both. I'll log my food especially if I have a special meal coming up so I know how many calories I have for that meal. Otherwise I usually log after I eat.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    I pre-log most of my day each morning. I have found that it is a tremendous help in keeping me on track so that I don't throw my macros too far off.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Both...I pre log the majority but still leave room to see what will fit, and what I need once my exercises have been done. If something changes like I eat less or more than planned, I have the space to adjust it, and compensate with other stuff if need be.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    I pre log too. This help me not go over the bad things lol
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I prelog my main meals.....like breakfast, lunch and dinner, then fill in the snacks as I go.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Little bit of both.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    I do mine after, or the end of the day. No particular reason why, though.
  • Aljn27
    Aljn27 Posts: 42 Member
    It varies. Sometime I log afterwards but when I first started I would do it before I ate; I think I sort of know some of the carbs and calories now because I done it so much in the beginning.
  • piscesgirl_2
    piscesgirl_2 Posts: 6 Member
    I log mine before I take my first bite, so that way I know exactly what I'm eating, it's there in front of me. If I am planning a special occassion, I will log that meal in at the start of the day...or if I pack a salad or something, I'll log that at the beginning of the day as well.
  • jujudot
    jujudot Posts: 129 Member
    I do both-breakfast & dinner are usually afterwards. I log my lunch and snacks before I leave home, so I don't have to worry about it during the day, and I know what I'll have left for dinner.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    In the beginning I logged everything before, but I've wound up with a set of breakfast and lunch meals that are around the same calories, so if I'm eating one of those, I'll just log it later on. I usually like to log dinner before I cook it so I can make sure I keep in my range.
  • What I plan on trying soon is logging the next day's plan the night before and attempting to stick to it. Of course if anything changes, then no worries so long as I stay inside the 1000-1200 calorie frame.

For now, because my family are celebrating Ramadan I'm logging the food as I eat it because our meals are pretty spontaneous and very unstructured compared to the rest of the year
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    I usually pre-log my day the night before.
  • I pre-log my foods.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    I do both. When I don't pre-log, things can get dicey.
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    I pre-log most of my day each morning. I have found that it is a tremendous help in keeping me on track so that I don't throw my macros too far off.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I used to log after eating, but realised my macros were way out.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail and all that :wink:

Now I have started pre-planning our meals (and my snacks) the night before (usually after dinner, it keeps me occupied) and then I have a good guideline for the next day to follow.
    It's not set in stone, but certainly helps me plan to know what I'm making and packing for OH's lunch for him to take to work!
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    I try to plan my main meals the day before. That way I know how many calories I have left for drinks and snacks. I try to leave a few hundred calories spare so that I can have a cake if someone offers it to me, or an evening snack.