Belly is the biggest part of me. (Not prego).

Options
Sorry, but the biggest part of me IS the stomach. (Look at the profile pic.) Therefore i need to target that area, general weight loss won't work because my belly will still be the biggest part of me. I feel like my belly is stuffed FULL of fat. But my arms are skinny, legs muscular and butt, acceptable. Apple shape, my doc says. What's the best exercise for my belly? That won't hurt my spine or require me to get all the way down on the floor?
Also I know the biggest delay of my weight loss (or lack of) has been impatience. My therapist said take the mountain one step at a time. i intend to. Do you have any other encouraging words as far as the impatience? (Hey, maybe I'll see her here! She's an MFPer as well.) :noway: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Even if you had a six pack, no one can see it until the general weight is gone.

Not only are our bellies stuffed with fat, excess fat is padding our internal organs and crowding them, especially the heart.

Take it steady and watch the cals, and get in gentle and consistent exercise. You can do situps on the bed if you want. Or perhaps buy one of the steps, which are also useful for other exercises, and are a little easier to get off the floor from.

Your arms and legs may be skinny due to lack of muscle. Just start exercising, and the changes you seek will occur.

Ruth
  • woogy1956
    woogy1956 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump... I have the same problem:sad:
  • 2004Jessica
    Options
    I used to do bed sit ups, but wondered about the value of those since the bed gives way so much. Less resistance? Or more? I have a chiropractic mattress, queen size very cozy. :happy:
  • bacorton
    bacorton Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For someone including myself weight in the middle section hangs on like Gorrilla Glue and the only way to bring it down it not to be a pound overweight. My waiste is a 99.5 and the rest of me is rail think.
  • redhotpeg
    Options
    according to my trainer, must do cardo to lose the fat. once that is done then concentrate on toning, I believe the best exercise is doing planks, won't hurt your back, it's diffiuclt and beginning will be maybe 20 seconds, you'll get there
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I've always carried weight all over, but MOSTLY in the belly. I've been told by a few different people (two of them fitness trainers) that the best way to lose a belly is to cut down on carbs. I've never stuck to it for long enough to see if it worked, but maybe you'll have more luck. I hope you find something that works for you. Best of luck.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My belly and my upper arms are my worst....I've only lost 12 lb but my face, neck, and legs have thinned out a lot...and I now have a nice butt, according to my teenagers LOL :bigsmile:

I do crunches and push ups and light weights (3-5 lbs). I can now suck my gut in and SEE the outline of abs, I just can't get the fat to come off so they appear....and I cant walk around sucking it in all the time like that LOL.

I think it's just not going to be visible until the weight comes off. :sad:
  • 2004Jessica
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I will read over these once in a while and draw strength from them. One day I would like to post in the Success Stories section. :-)
  • flckrngstar
    flckrngstar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Half the battle is watching the foods that you eat. Are you getting your 5 a day? 2 fruits and 3 veggies. Increasing fiber and water will flush a lot of that out. You might try cutting back on carbohydrates. I have lost 70 lbs in two years with Weight Watchers mostly through food. But I have been having trouble losing that last 30 lbs of belly fat. While researching belly fat causes I came across this book called the Wheat Belly. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

This doctor did a lot of research and found that people with stubborn belly fat may be gluten intolerant. That means that when we eat wheat it gets stored as belly fat instead of being eliminated. Many products we eat contain wheat- pasta, crackers, cookies, bread, cereal, and many snacks.

Read the book. Try not eating wheat for 1 month and see if that is the difference. If you start losing the weight then you probably have a gluten intolerance. Good luck.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I've always carried weight all over, but MOSTLY in the belly. I've been told by a few different people (two of them fitness trainers) that the best way to lose a belly is to cut down on carbs.

-________-
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i gained all my belly fat from eating carbs.
    i no longer eat carbs, and that is the first place i lose inches.
    (i eat carbs from dairy, eggs, and veggies only)
  • mrsavanclan
    mrsavanclan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I am basically belly with attachments LOL. I have however managed to lose a few cm's on the tummy since starting MFP, even thought the weight loss is slower. I swim. I do breaststroke as that is kind to my damaged spine, it also burns more calories which means on eat out days I can actually not worry so much. Find something you like to do and stick with it, I hate walking ( live in a hot country) , so this is it for me. I also have cut back on the carbs, not a lot but in my mind a few each day can still add up to a lot in a week. Has that helped , not sure but I havent missed them .. I am on 1 pound a week, and so 1570 calories . sometimes weeks I lose others not but I just keep moving on. I only have measured twice now. Do not do that too often.
  • JimmyeOConnor
    Options
    I started at a gym when I weighed 230. When I hit 215, my trainer started me on some ab machines. The plank I can only do about 10 seconds. I have a full knee replacement and have difficulty getting on the floor. My trainer has turned me on to TRX (tension/resistance training). My weight as of today is 198--32 pounds gone. My waist has gone from 45 inches to 39 inches. I'm also 69 years old. Keep working at it and the results will come.

PS: I'm also learning to swim at my age.