Drink more coffee, live longer?

Options
KF500T
KF500T Posts: 28 Member
Studies that once showed that coffee was bad for you are now showing that coffee drinkers are less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and dementia...AND...have fewer cases of certain types of cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes.

So, what's your take?

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Woohoo I drink 2 cups a day.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I take any research on a cash cow with a grain of salt.

That said, I love coffee and no, I don't think it'll kill me, either.
    The coffee industry in the United States is valued at about $19 billion each year. According to the Coffee Research Organization and the National Small Business Development Support Center Clearinghouse, more than 400 billion cups of coffee are consumed each day, making it the most popular beverage in the world. Statistics estimate that Americans consume 400 million of those cups of coffee daily, which equals about four-and-a-half thousand cups of coffee each second.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    The research makes sense to me, green tea also has similar benefits. Both need the caffeine, decaf doesn't have the same results. I have read multiple peer reviewed studies on this topic, and I believe that it has to do with the increased blood flow to the brain. This is also why caffeine can reduce headaches.

If you've ever seen a picture of a brain with dementia or Alzheimer's it is smaller, and has gaps so information can't travel the way it does in a healthy brain. I think the increased blood flow (and oxygen carried in the blood) helps keep areas of the brain healthier. (my nerdiness starts to show with topics like this, lol)

As with anything I think it's okay in moderation. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It seems consistent with the good news I have heard about coffee. I used to drink 20oz everyday from the great DD, but I cut it out because the bagel and creme cheese is a ton of calories (it doesn't boost your metabolism that much). Still enjoy it for breakfast every once in a while now, just with a Croissant.
  • sab53
    sab53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The research makes sense to me, green tea also has similar benefits. Both need the caffeine, decaf doesn't have the same results. I have read multiple peer reviewed studies on this topic, and I believe that it has to do with the increased blood flow to the brain. This is also why caffeine can reduce headaches.

If you've ever seen a picture of a brain with dementia or Alzheimer's it is smaller, and has gaps so information can't travel the way it does in a healthy brain. I think the increased blood flow (and oxygen carried in the blood) helps keep areas of the brain healthier. (my nerdiness starts to show with topics like this, lol)

As with anything I think it's okay in moderation. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

I think this sounds pretty logical. I love my coffee and drink it almost every morning. My only concern about negative effects would be related to the amount of cream(ers) and sugar used. Those are the calories that can add up and effect an otherwise healthy and balanced diet. Also, some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others. So I think that every person should know their own limits when it comes to that.
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh hell yes, I'm all over this bandwagon!
    Good for you, bad for you....meh - it's all in moderation.
    I have 3 - 4 cups of instant a day and a skinny latte when we go out. It's all good :)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I drink a pot of black coffee a day. I'm going to be immortal xD
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I :heart: coffee! Even if "they" say that coffee is bad for you (though not as bad for as they diet soda is) I'd probably still drink it. I usually limit myself to a grande sized (16 oz) every day.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Never ever saw a study that showed coffee to be bad for you--unless you drink more than six or seven cups a day. Saw lots that were done to show it. Known folks who won't drink it because it's a "drug". I only started drinking it well after I was forty--but you won't see me giving it up. Sure beats all to that hot place diet sodas!!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I heard news stories about it being effective in staving off the effects of alzheimers at some point years ago.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Headed out for my Bedtime Coffee NOW. I will let you know what I think when I get back!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I really could give a rat *kitten* about the story but I personally take 200mg of caffeine in the morning and at about 5pm. This blend of caffeine has this:

All natural caffeine blend (from white tea extract (camellia sinensis)(leaf), guarana extract (paulina cupana)(seed), kola nut extract (cola acuminata)(fruit), green coffee extract, green tea extract (camellia sinensis (leaf))...200 mg Other

Regular coffee gives me headaches when I stop cold turkey but not this for some reason. Now if you just drink a latte with like a bunch of sugars, or in other words a glorified milkshake then I really doubt you are people are going to get the full effects of caffeine. I even had it straight black and nothing compares to 200mg extract for me.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it should be black, no Macchiatos, lattes, etc,:drinker:
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I agree! I hope.....I'm drinking my liquid crack regardless of the never ending conflicting studies that are done. I will side with the one listing the benefits every time.

I'll take a large, skim milk, no sugar......thank you! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    if this is true I will live forever. I drink 1 pot a coffee a day just by myself :) I bleed coffee!!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I drink a pot of black coffee a day. I'm going to be immortal xD

LOL just saw this...holy crap another pot a day drinker! YAY for coffee
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So, what's your take?
    My take is usually 5-6 cups a day. If drinkin' coffee is wrong, i don't wanna be right! :bigsmile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If I drink more coffee, my coworkers will live longer ;)

Because I will be calm and happy all day instead of cranky and falling asleep at my desk...

or something like that.

I do limit to 1-2 cups a day, preferably before noon, with measured out creamer and sugar...coffee is one of my only vices ;)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

I [heart] coffee.