Post hysterectomy weight gain

Options
Any tips on losing post hysterectomy weight gain? I had mine in 2009 & put on a LOT of weight since. I cannot take hormones. It seems much much harder to lose weight after the surgery.

Replies

• mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    The doctor has suggested I have a hysterectomy, leaving my overies, which scares me for this reason. Interested in hearing responses so I can figure out what is best for me. I hope you get some good responses!!! :flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I just had my uterus removed, but they left my ovaries hanging on to my abdominal connective tissue. 2 months ago. With the ovaries still there, I do not need hormone replacements. I lost weight from having my organ and the free-loading tumor removed. And I lost a few more pounds since the surgery. (like 2).

My fibroid tumor was the size of a honeydew melon; it had to come out and since I didn't want to risk a 2nd melon tumor, I wanted the tumor-producing organ removed as well. Not much of an option here.
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Part of this is because the hysterectomy, from what I hear, puts one immediately into the menopausal state, which often includes difficult, but not impossible to lose, weight. Pay attention to what other menopausal women say about losing weight and note what they say works for them. Best of luck!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    The doctor has suggested I have a hysterectomy, leaving my overies, which scares me for this reason. Interested in hearing responses so I can figure out what is best for me. I hope you get some good responses!!! :flowerforyou:
    Part of this is because the hysterectomy, from what I hear, puts one immediately into the menopausal state, which often includes difficult, but not impossible to lose, weight. Pay attention to what other menopausal women say about losing weight and note what they say works for them. Best of luck!

But not if the ovaries are left in. (so I was told- and they better not have lied to me!)
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options

I've heard this too. I have extremely heavy cycles (low iron and energy too) so that's the main reason why the doctor suggested this for me. Not sure if the benefits will outweigh any possible consequences.
  • TimedEventSystem
    Options
    I know it may seem strange coming from a female as young as I am, but I can relate completely.

I'm going through menopause myself right now and let me tell you, I've been AWFUL. I've not only been moody but ravenous. The fat doesn't seem to want to budge and my doctors have told me that it's completely normal. Your body is trying to stabilize itself because it's gone through a major shock.

I wish you luck and I'm trying to find solutions myself. :)
  • mrsavanclan
    mrsavanclan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too put on weight after my hysterectomy , that I had 10 years ago, however not straight away. I have my ovaries and the reason behind that is that you do not need to take tabs, much healthier for you and will hit menopause around the normal time for your body . My do always told me it is what you put in your mouth , and how little you do with your butt that makes you fat , not anything else. I am afraid it is true. Is it harder after a hysterectomy to lose weight, do not think it makes much difference , I have skinny friends who have had one. I think just as yu get older it gets harder, and you need to put in more effort. Just my opinion, no facts. Me I am struggling but take one day at a time.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Any tips on losing post hysterectomy weight gain? I had mine in 2009 & put on a LOT of weight since. I cannot take hormones. It seems much much harder to lose weight after the surgery.

I never gained weight with mine, and i also didnt take any hormones because ive had strokes in the past. The best thing you can do is exercise and talk to your doctor about the calories you need to be on. MFP tells you the LOWEST you should go is 1200, but my doctor has me on a 800-1000 calorie diet, and dispite what people think, i dont starve. Im actually like 300 short today in calories... (which is FINE because that includes exercise calories)

Stay away from processed foods and junk, soda, ect. Drink TONS of water and eat lots of fruit. Thats what has helped me best!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I had a supra-cervical laparoscopic hysterectomy in Feb of this year and for me it made the weight come off easier. I had struggled with fibroids since my late twenties. My uterus was the size of a 5month pregnancy with the largest of the three fibroids removed weighing 4lbs.

It has been the best decision to have it done. My energy is through the roof, recovery was super easy and have had no issue with my hormones. My ovaries are intact and aside from a few hot flashes the week after surgery they have functioned perfectly.

I feel a great deal of my weight gain in the previous 6yrs was directly related to my hormones being out of whack because of the fibroids. Since the hysterectomy I finally feel like my old self again instead of a stranger in an alien body.
  • melissarosati77
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I had a total hysterectomy....ovaries, uterus, appendix, everything. I had a 30 pound cyst on my right ovary, which destroyed my reproductive system. The doctor told me it was the equivalent of carrying full term quads. Instant menopause is definitely the way to go, lol. I get a hot flash here & there, but nothing that interrupts my life. I'm thankful for that. The only problem is that losing weight takes SO MUCH more effort & is slower than when I had Estrogen. The way I see it is a loss is a loss whether it takes me 1, 2, or 5 years, it'll all come off eventually. :wink:
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Due to fibroids, I had a hysterectomy with ovaries removed in 10/2009 with no hormone replacement afterward (I tried but it gave me migraines) and I lost about 20 pounds over the following year.

I had been so tired and sluggish before the surgery and I felt like a million bucks afterward and the extra activity I was able to do caused the weight to come off.

It's one of the best things I've ever done!
  • just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You will only go into menopause if they removed both ovaries. Otherwise, if they are left behind you will still produce hormones, etc, until your natural menopause age (50+?)

I had a hysterectomy in November, they took my uterus & tubes (not ovaries tho). Cervix, I'm not positive if it's here or gone.

I've lost 50lbs since November, watching what & how much I eat, and getting more exercise than I ever did pre-surgery!!

I'm proof that not every post-hyster woman gains weight and keeps it.

The reason for my surgery was to cure my abnormal cycles. I was done having children, hubby is too, there was no reason to keep going through the misery of 2wk+periods and the pain & agony of cramps, etc.

It was THE best decision I've ever made. I'm half way to my goal, lost 50+lbs in 9 months, including time for surgery AND recovery. I have more energy now than ever before (due to surgery? exercise? weight-loss?)
  • acoolmom3
    Options
    I had my total hysterectomy in Dec., 2010 for endometriosis, fibroids, adenomyosis, and ovarian cysts. I had recently lost 35 pounds, although it was mostly due to stress (finally kicked my cheating husband out). I had no menopausal symptoms for the first 4 months or so and felt great! Not having pain anymore was such a relief! Then the hot flashes started and oh wow! It was a miserable few months to say the least. My doc would not give me hormones since I am so young. Her suggestion was drink half my weight in water. At that point was almost 100 oz a day. When the hot flashes stopped finally, the weight came on fast and furious. 35 pounds in 6 months. I don't think my eating habits changed, but I have no energy. I have never weighed this much in my life, and am determined to feel as good as I did immediately post surgery.
  • ksaltsman04
    ksaltsman04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a complete hysterectomy five years ago and immediately was thrown into menopause. Up to that point, I had always been able to eat whatever I wanted. I did not change my eating habits and in 5 years I gained about 30 pounds. I got on the scale in March of this year and decided enough was enough.

I started following the Weight Watchers Momentum plan (bought the at-home kit) and walking and the weight started coming off. I hit a plateau in July and did not lose for about two months. But I started doing high intensity intervals and have started losing again! Since March I have lost 26 pounds, with 9 more to go!