Pre-diabetic / Diabetic diets on a BUDGET!

Options
My dad was just diagnosed with pre-diabetes, and to get my whole family eating better I was hoping for some recipes! They have to be CHEAP though, and they need to be "clean meats" (we're SDA). Anyone have any good links to recipe sites, or have good recipes they'd like to share? Thanks!

Replies

• dkmolenaar
    dkmolenaar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am fond of www.eatingwell.com
  • megziejo
    megziejo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what does "clean meats" mean?

We eat a lot of big salads with a small chicken tenderloin and a half a potatoe on the side. We also do veggie tacos, I cook up zucchini, onions, carrots, broccoli all diced with taco type seasoning and then put it in a warm corn shell with traditional toppings. Or lean ground turkey meat with pico de gallo plus cabbage and lime.

We also do some fish dishes with different "slaws" broccoli with nuts, apples and blueberries with a raspberry vinaigrette. Or cabbage with light mayo, salt and pepper if they are like my dad and don't like sweet stuff.

Egg white omelettes with lots of spinach and mushrooms

Whole wheat pitas stuffed with a variety of fresh veggies and raw zucchini spears on the side to dip in a light dressing of your choice.

Spaghetti with half the amount of whole wheat pasta, I also add grated broccoli as I'm cooking the meat and my kids don't know.

Really any of your family's favorite recipes can be modified for a diabetic. Just try to think brown instead of white, cut carbs where you can and lower the fat or substitute it for a healthier fat. We have found we can do without mayo and cheese most of the time and use a smaller amount of bread for most things.

Sorry no rice recipes we have a rice allergy in the family so it's a rare treat around here.
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    "clean meats" from the old testament of the bible. No cloven hoof, no bottom dwellers, and only fish with scales and fins.

Thanks for the cooking ideas!!! I'll have to look for the brown pastas when I go to the store. :D
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Take some frozen fish like the tilapia they have at the walmart. Spray a pan with pam and put the fish on it. Sprinkle with a dry seasoning; we like chili lime or jerk seasoning. Only one 4 oz piece per person!

Bake at 375-400 til it flakes, never overcook it.

Serve with those yummy brown pastas or our favorite, near east pecan brown rice. no more than a half baseball of rice for your grampa. fill the rest of the plate with veggies. At walmart, we love the marketside stir fry, it's great just microwaved with a little healthy margarine. Have a salad.

Add me as a friend if you want more ideas from my diary and blog, although I don't limit myself to biblical eating, I do sometimes think I've gone to heaven.

Ruth
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    brokeandhealthy.com
    poorgirleatswell.com

There's probably some heathen food mixed in those, but it might give you a starting point. Cooking from scratch is generally cheaper and healthier than living on premade foods.
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    thanks dk and kami for the awesome links!!

Thanks Ruth for the recipe!! It sounds delicious!!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    As far as I have been told you are either diabetic or you are not. From my doctor as I am now diabetic again.

Google diabetic recipes. Epicurious.com has gluten free recipes.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    No need to overthink it. Eat what you usually eat, just go easier on the bread, pasta, rice and potato. And skip full sugar liquids (soda, oj etc).
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    lol pasta is my family's staple (not good, I know...but when you're broke it's cheap) I will try to get my parents to change it though! Thanks Captain

poedunk - not sure really. The dr. just said he is "pre-diabetic" which I guess means his sugar levels are high, but not in the diabetic category yet. He is checking his blood and taking low-dose medicine though. Diabetes runs in my family, and he's at the age his mother developed hers. I'm pretty sure it's going to be full-blown eventually, simply due to genetics, but the healthier and more fit we can live, the better for him!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Here's my biggest tip....GO TO BIG LOTS!! They have food there that is gluten free/healthy etc. Check out pasta alternatives like quinoa or bulgar wheat. Check out spaghetti squash...ooo and look up cellophane noodles. And shirataki (sp?) noodles<<<they are usually with the tofu. Really GREAT alternatives to pasta!! But seriously...check out BIg Lots.

And to the pre-diabetic...that is an accurate term. My hubby was pre-diabetic...aka borderline. Just means that you can manage your blood sugar (for now) with diet and exercise. Before we started MFP last June, he was diagnosed as actually diabetic and now 120+ lbs later, his blood sugar has re-regulated and all is well!! We still eat cookies, pasta, breads, etc and he is fine. :)
  • lka6
    lka6 Posts: 8
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes while pregnant and tested borderline pre-diabetic after; not a shock as it runs in my family (out of 7 aunts & uncles my dad is the only one that is not diabetic).

So, that being said, your dad really should meet with a dietitian, if he hasn't already. He will get goals for how many carbs, sugars, & fats should be in each meal. Also, goals for where his blood sugar should be and when to test. Most dietitans also have good sample menus for people to start with and information about what foods fit into what ( not all veggies are good choices, like corn is higher in carbs then broccoli). Another big thing is how HIS body handles different foods; everyones body handles different carbs/sugars differently (my uncle can drink milk and have very little effect, I however can't because it spikes my blood sugar then crash within an hour). Also, as for it "costing more to eat healthy", I have found that by making healthier choices I am not buying junk food and that money moved over to veggies and higher quality proteins; keeping my cost actually lower then before.

Good luck on this journey!
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes while pregnant and tested borderline pre-diabetic after; not a shock as it runs in my family (out of 7 aunts & uncles my dad is the only one that is not diabetic).

So, that being said, your dad really should meet with a dietitian, if he hasn't already. He will get goals for how many carbs, sugars, & fats should be in each meal. Also, goals for where his blood sugar should be and when to test. Most dietitans also have good sample menus for people to start with and information about what foods fit into what ( not all veggies are good choices, like corn is higher in carbs then broccoli). Another big thing is how HIS body handles different foods; everyones body handles different carbs/sugars differently (my uncle can drink milk and have very little effect, I however can't because it spikes my blood sugar then crash within an hour). Also, as for it "costing more to eat healthy", I have found that by making healthier choices I am not buying junk food and that money moved over to veggies and higher quality proteins; keeping my cost actually lower then before.

Good luck on this journey!

This is good advise.
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    Thank Mamam! I didn't even think about Big Lots, but they do have grocery items there too, don't they?! Normally a Walmart customer (all we have are Wally-world, Brookshires, then DG and Big Lots...I once had a Kroger...I miss those days, lol.)

Thanks Ika6! I don't know if I can get him to go, but I will definitely suggest it!!

The big trick will be talking my parents into eating healthier. I discussed spaghetti alternatives today, my mother goes "I WILL NOT EAT BROWN SPAGHETTI!" so it may be a bit of a battle, lol.
  • pittcurl
    pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 the beginning of this year. After exercising and eating correctly (also losing almost 50lbs), all my numbers are back to normal and have been slowly being taken off the medicine. The hardest thing I had to give up was the sweets, but instead of giving up I changed up. Use dark chocolate instead of milk. Try to add cinnamon as much as you can with sweets... it has helped me actually lower my readings at times. (remind you I'm not a nutritionist) Also it is super cheap.
    As for carbs, switch out the horrible bleached white breads for grainy kind. I even go further and use cucumbers as a base for sandwiches; makes around 6 little sandwiches if made right. For pasta, I've been able to get my hubby to eat whole wheat pasta, so that hasn't been a huge battle. But of course, thinking further, I have been purchasing tofu noodles. That's a little more dollars, but if you get really hungry for spaghetti, you should try it. Oh yeah, look up more on spaghetti squash too.... I got mine the other day for like $2 and will make at least 2 diners (I still eat a lot).
    If you learn to eat more veggies and cooking your own meals, it saves tons of money and not only makes you (and family) healthier, makes you want to get up and move. Good luck!!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    once i started eating meats and veggies, i save around 50 dollars a week because crappy 'boxed' foods are so much more expensive!

lots of frozen chicken pieces, beef when its on sale.
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As far as I have been told you are either diabetic or you are not. From my doctor as I am now diabetic again.

Google diabetic recipes. Epicurious.com has gluten free recipes.

There are actually steps to become a full blown Diabetic.
    You start normal, (lol)
    Then you can then progress to Insulin-Resistant, though sometimes this is skipped and gone right to pre-diabetes.
    Then Pre-Diabetic which means that with a drastic change you have the potential to reverse the effects on your body.
    Diabetic is when you have caused permanent damage and is no longer reversible.

This is just to my current knowledge and if anyone was curious.
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I watch my food dollars very carefully. I love soups and it's a great way to use the "left over" vegetables that aren't quite enough for a meal for the family. Lentils are a great addition to soups. They have lots of fiber and a good source of vegetable protein. Do a search for Hamburger Lentil soup for the recipe & ingredients. Minestrone with chickpeas and beans is vegetarian soup that I make often, too. Chili is another all time favorite.

Some general suggestions.....buy frozen vegetables in large bags---much cheaper than fresh. Buy whole chickens and cut them up rather than buying thighs or breast meat. Buy bulk packages of hamburger and repackage it into serving size amounts. Check out local farmer's markets for seasonal produce or buy directly from the grower if you live in a more rural area. When I lived in the country, I had chickens for fresh eggs and I had a garden which gave me lots and lots of fresh veggies. You can even grow some things like tomatoes in large containers.

For pastas, look for the Dreamfields brand.....it's a low carb pasta that looks and tastes like regular pasta.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
  • navybrat84
    Options
    This is a great thread :)
  • Butterfly414
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much for all of the feedback! I'm going to be showing this to my parents and seeing if we can't change a few bits of our diet here and there. It may be a little more expensive at first, but I'm hoping that the benefits will outweigh the costs!

I'm loving all the suggestions and I'll def. check out spaghetti squash (I'd never heard of it before!) . I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump :)