• jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You all might like this article:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/09/cdc-says-no-to-eating-raw-cookie-dough/

Apparently, it's not the eggs that caused outbreaks in the past. The CDC explored the big cookie dough disaster and discovered it was ......the Flour! Nope. I'm not joking - it was the flour (in the kitchen). Sorry, I had to bring in Clue the game as it was WAY too tempting.

At that time, the flour used by the manufacturer apparently (per this article) weren't put through a heating process to kill bacteria. They did say in the article that Nestle now puts their flours through a heat process (which means that it MAY be way safer now and um...ready for us to bake - ya right - cookies). Grin.

Monica

If you don't want to go to the link, here are the interesting quotes:

"The investigators ultimately settled on flour as the likely offender. Flour doesn’t usually undergo a kill step. Also, because it is frequently purchased in large quantities by food manufacturers for use in products, a single purchase of contaminated flour could have been used in multiple lots and varieties of cookie dough over a period of time."

"But seeing as how raw-cookie-dough junkies aren’t likely to give up their habit anytime soon, the authors suggest that all commercial manufacturers of ready-to-bake prepackaged cookie dough just make stuff safe to eat raw."

"Nestlé and several other cookie-dough makers have already switched to heat-treated flour."
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Oops. I forgot to say that homemade is probably better for you anyway. Thanks for the recipe. I just love exploring these types of topics.

You may like this too!

Apparently, you can pasteurize the eggs yourself. It's the same process as making eggnog. You'll put the eggs with the liquid and heat is at a low heat. Here's the article:

http://www.ireallylikefood.com/743744366/is-eating-raw-cookie-dough-really-that-bad-for-you/

Basically, you can have your cookies AND eggs in your own homemade mix! Isn't that cool. Thanks for the posting. I never thought to look up how to do something like this but now I understand why Eggnog has to be heated unless you buy the egg whites which are pasteurized in those milk containers at the store.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    My daughter just made eggless cookie dough trouffles, keeps them in the freezer and they are, so rich and good it is a stomach ache waiting to happen!
  • Runner50266
    Options
    Eat sugar, crash your body will want more sugar. Basic science. Hat's off to those of you that can eat this stuff and still lose! Unfortunately I cannot and will live vicariously through you. :-)
  • livs_mom
    livs_mom Posts: 37
    Options
    http://sometimesontuesdays.blogspot.com/2011/07/single-serving-chocolate-chip-cookie.html
    i made this a couple weeks ago. it's just okay. i've also tried the chocolate chip cookie in a mug (from pinterest) and it turned out more like cake which was disappointing. in conclusion, i'd rather just eat a freshly baked cookie. i portion the cookie dough out and freeze all but the few cookies i want at one time. it works for me. :)
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Freeze and limit yourself to the amount you're allowed. Basically, if your only allowed one teaspoon...so be it. That's the torture of dieting. Taste but not eating lots.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    raw flour, yikes. suagr, triple yikes.

i bet it would be even better with almond flour and truvia.. mm.
  • malikabajwa
    Options
    IM SO THANKFUL FOR THIS POST.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!

What would the calories be!?
  • luv2eduk8
    luv2eduk8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How about this for something healthier?

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/23/want-to-eat-an-entire-bowl-of-cookie-dough/

I haven't tried it, so I can't tell you if it is good or not. I also do not have the nutritional facts, but I thought I'd put it out there.
  • kcrozell
    kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love cookie dough!!!
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    bump