New Mom gained 70 lbs during pregnancy

Options
Hello everyone,
I just joined Fitness Pal last night and this is my first forum post. I was 125 lbs pre pregnancy, got pregnant and found out at 8 weeks that I was high risk and put on rest. So, I left my job and pretty much just had to lay around the house....as a result of the rest and pregnancy I gained 70 lbs. Last weigh in before delivery was 196 lbs. I was very upset all through my pregnancy because of the weight, but tried to stay positive because I was happy to be having my first baby.
I ended up having a c-section and got an infection and had some issues with my incision healing. As a result, I wasn't given the go ahead to excercise until my baby was 3 months. He is now 7 months old and I have lost 35 of the 70 lbs. I still have another 35 lbs to go.
The weight is really effecting me. In my mind I still picture the old me....tiny waist, flat stomach with some ab definition, nice hips, butt, thighs...no double chin.....and then I look in the mirror and at photos and I am so upset by what I see. I don't feel like myself, don't look like myself and I am not acting like myself.
I don't want to go to events or places with my husband because I don't want to be seen like this....I avoid photos and as a result I don't have very many pictures or video of me with my sweet baby boy. I always just get him and my husband. I don't enjoy shopping-the clothes I like don't fit my body properly and the sizes are a lot bigger than I used to wear. I can't wear ANY of my old clothes, can't wear any of my cute high heels and can't even get my wedding ring set on.
My sister thinks I might have some sort of post partum depression (not towards my son, just towards myself). I LOVE my son and if I had to chose my new fatness to have him vs my old figure but not have him, I would chose to be fat everytime---he is totally worth everything I went through to have him. However, now that he is here I really want to have my confidence, self esteem, positive body image and want to feel sexy so I can bring myself to have intimacy with my husband again.
Does anyone have a similar story, and what advice do you have? Any advice on how to lose weight safely and quickly with a long term effect would be great. I am not looking for any gimmicks, I know it takes time, clean eating and excercise. I am just wondering if anyone knows what cardio is most effective (currently using the treadmill at home) and doing some squats, lunges, crunches, push ups, going for walks with the stroller.....I don't have access to a gym right now but am willing to do an at home routine if I knew the best exercises to do.
Thanks!

Replies

• Molldoll0702
    Molldoll0702 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    HI there, I can totally relate to what you are feeling. I gained 50 pounds with my first and it took me nearly 3 years to get it all off... I was depressed for those entire 3 years, but I honestlyh wasnt doing anything to change the way I looked or felt. It wasnt until my daughter was 2 years old or so that I decided I had to get active and really start working on loosing the weight. I was delusional thinking it was just going to come off on its own. I started with baby steps. I started a bootcamp twice a week and it kicked my butt... but eventually it got easier and I built my endurance up. I then decided to join a gym and would take my daughter with me so she could go to the kids club and play with other children. Again, I started slow, mostly doing the treadmill and eliptical and eventually I started taking some classes...Slowly but surely the gym became a part of my everyday life. But again, I had to ease into it because everytime before I would jump in to fitness and go all out and then just wind up burning out after a couple of months.
    I now am 8 months pregnant with my 2nd child and i've gained about 23 pounds this time but it sure is hella hard to see that scale go back up... Its so hard to go thru this again and I havent been able to work out the last few moths due to discomfort and pain from the baby when working out, so I am having to watch what I eat even more closely, which is terribly hard... but Im just doing my best to stay as positive as I can and just remember that I was able to get the weight off before and I can and will do it again.
    I wish I could tell you some miracle method to getting the weight off, but I cant. What worked for me was honeslty watching what I ate and working out. Cardio really helped to shed the pounds and weights help to burn fat and tone my body. When I lost the baby weight from the first baby I was by no means as tone as I'd like to have been, but at least I was a work in progress... We just have to give ourselves credit where credit is due and at least you are trying and working on loosing the weight. That right there is huge in itself! and you've already lost 35 pounds and the baby is only 7 months old! that is an amazing accomplishment! Kuddos to you!
    Keep up the good work, try and stay out of your head and just take things a day at a time!
    Molly
  • JadiieD
    JadiieD Posts: 9
    Options
    hi this is my first time posting anything lol. im also new to this. i am also a new mom, just had her 4 weeks ago today. im only 18 so im really trying to get my body back. i ended up needing an emergency c section and it is a hard recovery you cant do much at all. im starting off by walking. i gained 30 something pounds i was 105 pre pregnancy and i am now 115 so 10 more to go!
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had my 4th baby (and 4th c-section) 9 months ago. I was on bedrest with my first and gained 55 lbs. With the second 45 lbs and the last two about 30-35lbs. I lost the initial baby weight with all of them pretty quickly (before they turned a year) but keeping it off was the hardest. This time around I lost most of the pregnancy weight by the time he was a few months old, but am now losing the weight I gained throughout the years (20lbs more to go!). This is the first time I deliberately tried to lose weight and it seems slower. But, I am also older. What I do remember is that I would have times where it didn't seem like I lost anything for months, then all of a sudden I would be losing again. If you stick to healthy foods and add exercise it will come off.

I can relate to the feelings of depression related to weight. I feel the same way and think it is a pretty normal feeling, especially when it is such a huge change in a short amount of time like you experienced. I try not to let it get me down, but instead use it as motivation to stay on track.
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1ST of all, I'd like to say I've been where you are...many, many times. My last 3 children were back to back with only 13 months in between each. I had c-sections with every one of them, which only makes it harder to tone the abdomen up again...BUT it can be done!

I did it once since all the babies but began working in an office 4 years ago sitting behind a desk and outside of work got very busy so lots of eating out, which made matters worse again. I have gained over 50 lbs and weigh more now than at my highest weight with any of the kids.

Don't get me wrong, I love myself very much, no matter what I weigh, as you should as well. When it comes right down to it, you are a better person on the inside because of being a mommy to your son. Becoming a parent causes such extreme emotions of love to flow out of a woman that nothing can quite compare. So don't be so hard on yourself, focus on the good you have to offer and not what your body looks like.

After all you have done lost 35 lbs in 7 months, which is AWESOME in itself. That's the best way to lose the weight, working steadily at it and losing no more than a pound a week. At that rate you have averaged 5 lbs a month which gives you a great success rate for keeping it off longer. Keep walking on your treadmill and don't cheat on your food logs each day, keep track of all your calories and don't go over the limit. Your confidence in knowing you have done right by yourself will increase with each day. That's all you should focus on now, is ONE DAY AT A TIME! It takes longer than 1 month to put the weight on and it will take longer to successfully loose it and keep it gone.

Most of all...NEVER think of it as a diet (that's a 4-letter word in most people's vocab), believe it to be a lifestyle change. Diets are temporary, which means weight-loss would be temporary. We don't want anything temporary in the way of weight-loss. If its going to permanent weight-loss, it must be a permanent lifestyle change. Keeping this in mind, don't make any changes to your food, exercise, etc..that you will not be comfortable doing for the rest of your life or it will not work.

Remember this...ATTITUDES ARE VERY CONTAGIOUS....IS YOURS WORTH CATCHING? I ask myself this every day as I go through the day and with whoever I come in contact with, this comes to mind. You will notice a huge change in your confidence level just by doing this. I wish you all the luck and I know you will be able to succeed at your goals because of the determination I have read here today. God bless you!
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to loose my baby weight...but my baby is 17!!! So good job to all of you for doing this now :flowerforyou:
    Don't let it get away from you.
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting on the MFP band wagon. I have two kids...my oldest is 2 and my little girl is 6 months. I gained 50 with my son and 40 with Jillian. I've lost the baby weight but still have some ways to go (around 15 more pounds!) I'm feeling super discouraged lately seeing as every weekend is another social event where there is booze and food involved. Would love to have other mommy friends on here to keep each other motivated!
  • tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's alright that the weight isn't melting off. Like others said, it took 7-9 months to put the weight on, it's going to take some time for it to come off. I believe you said that you are nursing (?), that in itself burns calories, but it takes calories to actually produce the milk as well. I think what the others have said is smart, try to eat as healthy as possible, get some cardio in; any type of cardio that you can do. I exercise at home too while my kids are either at school or taking a nap (they're 6 and 3 1/2). Think of it as a life style change. If you're dedicated and do this the right way you'll eventually get your weight back down. Remember, that our bodies do change after we have kids; so your weight may or may not go to the areas they used to go to pre-baby. Just something to keep in mind. I like to log my food and my exercise, it keeps me grounded and accountable. But, i'm on a low sodium diet (previous health issues) and i'm limited to the kinds of exercise i can do. Just keep at it! You'll get there.
  • tequillarose04
    tequillarose04 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby & the weight youve already lost! Ive been there, done that as well...With my first I gained over 90 lbs, my second was about 50...Took me almost 3 years the first time around & I'm still working on the weight from the second(just got serious about it) Unfortunately there is no 'quick' healthy way to lose weight..You shouldnt lose more than 1-2lbs per week..The most important part is that you eat healthy & exercise...make sure you track you calories & drink water! Lots & lots & lots of water.... Think about the weight youve already lost & use it as motivation to continue on through the jouney...Its going to take a while, it took more than a month to put on, its going to take more than a month to take off...Even if you dont exercise, as long as you stick to your calories you will lose weight...Add me as a friend if you'd like more support!
    If youre breast feeding make sure you talk to your doctor about calorie intake...Its VERY important that youre eating enough to supply your baby with milk & nutrients....
  • jonspaulo
    Options
    Before I got pregnant, I weigh 110lbs. Before giving birth I weigh 190lbs. now that my son is 9months old, i weigh 160lbs. i have tried all the diet and slimming pills in the market and nothing works for me. 2 days ago, i have discovered MFP and have been monitoring all my food intake. hope this helps! btw, my profile pic shows how my body was before and now :(
  • jennjay523
    Options
    I gained about 80 lbs with each of my four pregnancies. It just takes time to lose it all. Good nutrition and a little exercise will melt all of that baby weight right off of you. I've read over and over that losing weight is 90% what you put in your mouth and 10% exercise. I live that life and with each child, I lost all the weight. My youngest is five now and am proud to say I have kept it all off and will continue to. You can do this! Keep in mind it took nine months to gain it and it may take that much time to lose it. Enjoy your new little one - they grow soooo fast! And great job on your success thus far!
  • kaileysmommy12
    Options
    I didn't have a C-section but I did gain 70 pounds during pregnancy. I also see myself as having the nice abs and physical attributes but then look in the mirror and see reality. I want to get back to 120 lbs but feel that it's impossible with a new baby and school. I know with hard work anything is possible but I feel so worn out all the time. After reading your post I kept saying to myself "I have that same feeling or that sounds just like me."
  • Pettaco12
    Options
    Reading your story brought tears to my eyes!! I feel exactly like you!! I know this is kinda old but your story is about95% identical to mine! Best of luck I hope all the weight dissapears and more importantly that ppd!I was 120/125as well... I gain the same amount of weight I feel horrible about myself I only get pictures with my sons and thier dad I cry when I shop for cloths I hardly have any because none of my old stuff fits and I hate shopping now days:( i wolud most deffinetly choose my boys over being thin again but gahhhleee I hate feeling like this!! best of luck! Remember you are beautiful and much more than a hot bod..your a mother and that's beauty!!