Will I still lose weight if I go over on sugar or protein?

Options
I just started here and I'm doing well keeping under my calorie goal, but there have been a few days where I'm over my fat, protein or sugars by a few grams. Will I still end up losing weight?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options
    Bump! I have the same problem. I'm trying to cut my sugar intake, but I'm not quite sure how!
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will happen as long as your calories are in line. If they come from fat, protein or carbs really doesn't matter. The numbers for fat carbs and protein (macros) are there as guidelines to make sure your diet isn't too unbalanced. Use it as a rule of thumb only.

You'll see a lot of people (myself included) that will say that theres no such thing as too much protein... Brag about going over on protein... get as much as you can while keeping your total calories under your daily goal...

Now sugar, thats another thing all together... If you're eating too much of that, theres a good chance your daily goals wont allow you to get enough of the good stuff for a solid healthy diet. Don't let it ruin your life either though. You didnt get to where you are by slipping up on sugar 1 or two days.
  • cfloresmt
    cfloresmt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sugar is best kept to the minimum possible. Protein, the more the merrier as long as you don't go over your caloric needs.
  • amcharanek
    Options
    Sorry, everyone is wrong. If you go over on sugar and/or protein, NO weight will be lost. In fact it'll be gained 10 fold

Good luck OP
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sorry, everyone is wrong. If you go over on sugar and/or protein, NO weight will be lost. In fact it'll be gained 10 fold

Good luck OP

Yeah, uh, OK thanks for your input.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Sugar is best kept to the minimum possible. Protein, the more the merrier as long as you don't go over your caloric needs.

This can be a confusing answer so i'll clarify.

Table sugar is bad.
    Natural sugar from fruits and veg is good.
    I'm always over in sugar because I eat a whole fruit basket daily and melt fat.
  • Theadoranicole
    Options
    I am in no way an expert and havent done much research but as far as sugars go I am over every day since i started MFP, I eat alot of fruit and drink alot of almond milk, however I still have lost twelve pounds so I guess it still does come off maybe not as fast?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Good luck OP

Put $20 in dude!
    DouchebagJar.jpg
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Good luck OP

Put $20 in dude!
    DouchebagJar.jpg

LOL!
  • OMGitsEve
    Options
    great question!! thanks for the serious answers guys. :)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The protein limit on MFP is set pretty low (15% of calories). It's based on US government dietary standards, but a diet isn't even considered high protein until it's over 30%, and eating more protein is helpful for feeling full despite eating at a calorie deficit.

Everyone goes over on sugar. Literally. And by literally, I mean the actual literally and not figuratively. As long as you are within your limit for carbohydrates and you are getting enough fiber, then do not worry about it. Track something else. Your sanity will thank you.
  • amcharanek
    Options

Good luck OP

Put $20 in dude!
    DouchebagJar.jpg

lol
  • charest68
    Options
    I am in no way an expert and havent done much research but as far as sugars go I am over every day since i started MFP, I eat alot of fruit and drink alot of almond milk, however I still have lost twelve pounds so I guess it still does come off maybe not as fast?

I have the same problem. I thought the idea for a healthy diet included lots of fruits and veggies. But my first day of MFP, I had a peach for breakfast and that took up almost ALL my daily sugar! I couldn't eat anything the rest of the day because of that stupid peach! I am noticing that I am not eating fruits and minimal veggies because of the sugar. I have seen other posts that say sugar is sugar and they all count. I'm so confused. Do I only count the processed sugars? Do I not count the fruit sugar? Isn't sugar sugar to the body?

Need help!
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i go over every day on fat and protein and that seems to cut out the sugar very well. i'm a low-carber so i think it's the nature of the diet. however, i don't eat processed foods. just read the labels on some of those boxed and jarred foods and you'll realize they hide sugar in EVERYTHING. so maybe if you eat a lot of bars and whatnot, try cutting down on those.

of course natural sugars in fruit and veggies won't make you fat. there are fruits with LOTS of sugar and then some with not so much. people cut them out of their diet at first because yes, it's sugar and your body is more likely to store it. it doesn't change the fact that they're still good for you and have all these vitamins, blah blah. however a lot of people have success losing weight eating fruit, fat, carbs etc. so do what works for you :)
  • chelsie_1984
    chelsie_1984 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great question and answers. I have been having the same problem as well. Thanks for all the input!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I only count added sugar or sugar from drinks.. Not from fruits or veggies.. Your suppose to eat fruits and veggies as a balanced meal plan.. As for protein, if you didn't change your goals given to you by MFP then you should be going over.. Should be having some form of protein with every meal if possible.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I regularly go over on my sugar (90% of which seems to come from carbs and fruit) and I am steadily losing weight. Maybe I would lose more if I cut down on sugar even more, but then most of my sugar is coming from good foods.