Pushup Question

Options
So I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's getting easier but the pushups are so freakin' hard. I still have to do them on my knees but I can feel it getting a wee bit easier each time. My question is....when I'm doing them, my left wrist makes a clicking noise. I did break that wrist like 14 yrs ago. (geez it's been that long...my gosh that just made me feel old. lol) Should I be worried? Is there something I could be doing wrong? For the record...it doesn't hurt before, during, or after.

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Hmm I do pushups about everyday and have never had that problem! Would think that it would have something to do with the injury you had.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    if you're using proper form, i'd say this is not normal. have your doctor take a look at it to make sure you're not doing damage.

either way, definitely make sure your form is good. have someone film you and compare.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Okay.
    Easy trick to learning to push up.

If you can plank you can push up.
    the trick is to tell your body to plank, body straight as a board and completely tense, and simply lower to the ground in a controlled manor.

Then when you push up, BE EXPLOSIVE!

Pick a room you walk through frequently.

Every time you walk through that room in a day you do a push up.
    After a while when you get better change it up.
    Do 1-10-1

Thats 1 push up the first time in the room, 2 the second time all the way up to 10.
    Then work your way back down.
    Do this with pull ups and chins and youll be the BOSS!
  • wbgolden
    Options
    Okay.

the trick is to tell your body to plank, body straight as a board and completely tense, and simply lower to the ground in a controlled manor.

Do 1-10-1

Thats 1 push up the first time in the room, 2 the second time all the way up to 10.
    That's good general pushup advice. But I can't imagine you're suggesting that she ignore the wrist issue she clearly described. Because none of us have any idea what's really going on with her wrist.

Right?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Okay.

Do 1-10-1

That's good general pushup advice. But I can't imagine you're suggesting that she ignore the wrist issue she clearly described. Because none of us have any idea what's really going on with her wrist.

Right?

Possible fix using handles?
    Or even on knuckles.

Actually putting the hands at a 90 degree angle isnt good for any wrist.
  • wbgolden
    Options
    Okay.

Do 1-10-1

Right?

Or even on knuckles.

With the popping, I'm gonna stick with my suggestion for her to seek medical advice. Then we can talk about other ways to make awesome happen :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Okay.

Do 1-10-1

Right?

Or even on knuckles.

With the popping, I'm gonna stick with my suggestion for her to seek medical advice. Then we can talk about other ways to make awesome happen :)

I like awesome happening!
    But healthy hands first by all means!
  • 257bjp
    257bjp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hurt? If you know you injured it, get it checked anyway. I suggest a good chiropractor (other doctors won't put in back in line.) I have a natural difference between the right & left hip socket. Noisy sit-ups, but no pain. But I had it checked anyway, just to give myself permission to push myself harder.
    All the best to you.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ok...if you were sitting in the room, you wouldn't hear it, but I can feel it and hear it when I'm doing the pushups. I'm pretty certain that I'm doing it properly as I've watched several videos demonstrating how. I'm assuming it's probably from my previous injury but I'm already going to see my dr. on thursday so I'll mention it to him. Pretty sure he'll brush it off. Oh wait...I know what his response will be...it's because I'm fat. Yup. the answer to all my problems. *sense some sarcasm as I roll my eyes*

I do quite like your enthusiastic response towards how to learn to do a pushup. I can plank...but not for long. I KNOW I'm not ready to do a regular pushup....yet. But I'll get there. ;)
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Doesn't hurt? If you know you injured it, get it checked anyway. I suggest a good chiropractor (other doctors won't put in back in line.) I have a natural difference between the right & left hip socket. Noisy sit-ups, but no pain. But I had it checked anyway, just to give myself permission to push myself harder.
    All the best to you.

No..it doesn't hurt. Not before, during, or after the pushups. I've had instances where I have needed to have my wrist adjusted by my chiropractor but I've always been able to feel when that is needed. This, doesn't feel like that.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try doing them on a wall or counter, do you still have the popping? Also try them on your knuckles (with your hand in a fist and thumbs on the outside). I have super poppy joints and it isn't an issue for me as long as there isn't a stabbing pain but I have never had worse than a bad sprain. Never hurts to get it checked out. Good luck, you'll get there!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Once you've determined your wrist is good and your ready for awesome try this:

dumbbells make awesome handles as long as they are the hex ones-don't need an injury using round ones!

Start your set forcing yourself to do full form pushups do as many as you can, even if its just one. Then switch to the modified version to finish the set. guaranteed you'll "graduate" much faster than you think!

You can also try doing some at an incline on a stair case, seems much easier to me for some reason. I typically do 3 pushups a stair, one wide, one regular, one fingers together.

God luck hon! Persistence pays off with results. But get that checked out!
  • ChangeYourPace
    ChangeYourPace Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'll second the hex dumb bells, if you have them. They relieve the pressure on my wrists tremendously.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My wrists don't click when doing pushups, but if I rotate my hands, both wrists click on every rotation. It's not a "pop" like if you pop your knuckles, it's just a clicking sound. I've always been this way, I've never even thought to ask a doctor about it. Never had an injury (knock on wood). I think you're probably fine, but it's a good idea to talk to you doctor anyway.
  • Monti_e_lmt
    Monti_e_lmt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    :( My wrists kill me when I do push ups or a plank. I do love planks though.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's getting easier but the pushups are so freakin' hard. I still have to do them on my knees but I can feel it getting a wee bit easier each time. My question is....when I'm doing them, my left wrist makes a clicking noise. I did break that wrist like 14 yrs ago. (geez it's been that long...my gosh that just made me feel old. lol) Should I be worried? Is there something I could be doing wrong? For the record...it doesn't hurt before, during, or after.

I got a boxing fracture in my wrist a few years back and when I do pushup I have a similar issue. I do my pushup on my knuckles but you could use barbells or pushup bars if the palms flat is too tweaky on your wrist.