Eating back calories from exercise??? -confused-

Options
So ever since i started logging everything i eat and making better choices everyday for meals, i'm definitely having a hard time even eating over 1000 calories a day. I work out about 5-6 days a week and burn about 850-1000 calories each day doing cardio. My question is ..will this slow my weight loss progress? Is there any negative side effects? Is it more effective to eat back the calories i burn from working out?
I don't feel like i'm depriving myself of food or anything like that, i just eat 'clean' and it doesn't add up to much. I'm so confused...

Replies

• amcharanek
    Options
    Your body needs a minimun net of 1200 calories for normal function. aka proper digestion, breaking down/rebuilding muscles, blood cells, etc.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes. And Yes. If you are eating 1000 and burning 850 to 1000 you're a great candidate for a stalled weight loss. This link helps explain why. It's a very good read and is a "sticky" topic here on the board. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I eat back all my cals most days, sometimes a little bit more on rest/lighter days as I'm hungry and even 1350 net isn't enough for me but I'm still losing 1lb a week and that's with me being 7-9 odd lb away from my target weight. I recommend it.
    I guess if I really wasn't hungry I'd eat back a bit less but try and up your protein and calories so that you have enough to maintain/feed your workouts.
    Try nuts/protein shakes/bars/greek yogurts.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Try this website, It will answer your questions. http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    So, you're eating around 1000 cals a day and burning 1000 cals a day through exercise? If you add in the 1300 (quite possibly more) calories that your body needs to function each day, you are burning 2300 cals in total and only eating 1000.
    That means you are creating a 1300 calorie deficit every day which is pretty big, especially if you don't have a lot of weight to lose.

I'd suggest that you need to eat more or exercise less, what you are doing now doesn't sound sustainable.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    burn about 850-1000 calories each day doing cardio
    Really ? How many hours is that.
  • WeekendDM52
    Options
    Hi Angel,

Hope you're having a great day.

Please listen carefully and take this on board: I don't want to scare you, but I have seen this happen before and reading your post has worried me. As above, you are going to do yourself some serious damanage if you carry on the way you are- I had a friend who did the same thing and I ended up visiting her in the hospital- no joke whatsoever.

If you're eating 1000 and burning 1000 in exercise, and let's say you need another 1200 just to keep breathing every day, you're asking your body to continue working without any fuel at all (infact, MINUS 1200 fuel) each day. It's like a car, if there's no petrol in the tank, it won't work.

Effect wise, your skin will get dry and grow fuzzy hairs to keep you warm, you'll get cold, your periods will stop so you can't conceive, your bones with get thin leading to osteoperosis, etc, etc etc.

You need to be eating back all your exercise calories at the very least. If I were you, I would see a good dietician or doctor and make sure you get a solid, sensible eating plan so you can be confident you are going on the right track. Also, as a Personal Trainer, 1000 calories in cardio 5-6x a week is way too much- you're just going to be pounding your joints- see a good Trainer and get a programme.

Wishing you all the best for happiness, health and healthy weight loss!

xx
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Are you really doing 3-4 hours of exercise a day?
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i'm definitely having a hard time even eating over 1000 calories a day.

Assuming you like either nuts or oily fish you can easily eat back your cals. Almonds are great for rebuilding and high in cals. You cant tell me you cant eat half a handful of nuts throughout the day?

Its not that difficult to fill yourself up with good wholesome cals that contribute to your fitness and well being. As others have said you'll just stall regarding weight loss but more importantly you wont move forward with your fitness.

Your food intake is just as important as your excercise program.

People like me used to forget that and then moan that they weren't progressing.

Then I changed my thinking and have since knocked nearly an hour off my pb marathon time and 30 mins off my half.

Thats what good nutrition does to compliment good training techniques.

Just my opinion.

Tim
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    In spite of all the good information that everybody is giving above I will say that I lost almost 39kg and, in the process, I tried everything... eating them back, not eating them back, eating them back but only partially.

What it seemed to be the best for me, and I say for me because not all the bodies react in the same manner, it was to be closer to the total cal allowance but I dont eat them back.

I train in the evenings so, when Im back home I dont feel that hungry to eat back 1000 or 1200 cal (in my trainings i can burn up to 1600 cal in two sessions, I am PT)

What I do is to fuel my body beforehand, then burn all the calories making sure that I deplete my energy storage and when I come back home I use to have salad and fruit salads for dinner, thats all.

At the beginning I freaked out of eating cal back when I knew how difficult was to burn them but I experimented with my self and saw that my body performs better and the weight loss is more consistant when I stay close to the daily allowance and always above 1000 net cal

I hope my testimony helps! :)
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i'm definitely having a hard time even eating over 1000 calories a day.

Assuming you like either nuts or oily fish you can easily eat back your cals. Almonds are great for rebuilding and high in cals. You cant tell me you cant eat half a handful of nuts throughout the day?

Its not that difficult to fill yourself up with good wholesome cals that contribute to your fitness and well being. As others have said you'll just stall regarding weight loss but more importantly you wont move forward with your fitness.

Your food intake is just as important as your excercise program.

People like me used to forget that and then moan that they weren't progressing.

Then I changed my thinking and have since knocked nearly an hour off my pb marathon time and 30 mins off my half.

Thats what good nutrition does to compliment good training techniques.

Just my opinion.

Tim

Great post! I totally agree, I'm on here specifically because I wasn't eating enough to just be relaxing all day, plus I was working out every day(ended up with nightly headaches, shakes after workouts, and general fatigue and poor performance) I had no idea what I was doing wrong and why I wasn't looking better(usually my weight fluctuates readily during the summer-swimming yay) I'm eating significantly more now and still exercising as much as I want but I eat enough to fuel those exercises(and I'm actually cutting my cardio some days because I have a hard time eating back everything on a big workout day!) I want my "summer shape" all year round, sure I could dump some poundage pretty quick, but not sustainably. And I feel sooo much better(even if I feel like i'm stuffing my face sometimes lol)
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do think that the calorie burn estimates in MFP aren't that accurate (at least for me). For most exercise I log 2/3 of the actual time spent and then feel free to eat back those calories.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I just spent the last month not eating back my calories and usually coming in under 1200 calories for the daya. The first two weeks I lost 3 pounds but the second two weeks I lost only a pound and a half. My plan the next two weeks (I weigh in every two weeks) per my nutritionist is to eat at least 1300 calories a day plus any exercise calories that take me over 1300 and see what happens.

My nutritionist is adament that 1200 calories a day is not enough food to lose weight on given how active I am.
  • angelarlozano
    angelarlozano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1-2 hours cardio
  • angelarlozano
    Options
    I do think that the calorie burn estimates in MFP aren't that accurate (at least for me). For most exercise I log 2/3 of the actual time spent and then feel free to eat back those calories.

I usually add up my calories burned on the exercise machines at the gym (after putting in my weight/work out level) i've found that it's slightly lower than the MFP estimates
  • angelarlozano
    Options
    I eat back all my cals most days, sometimes a little bit more on rest/lighter days as I'm hungry and even 1350 net isn't enough for me but I'm still losing 1lb a week and that's with me being 7-9 odd lb away from my target weight. I recommend it.
    I guess if I really wasn't hungry I'd eat back a bit less but try and up your protein and calories so that you have enough to maintain/feed your workouts.
    Try nuts/protein shakes/bars/greek yogurts.

Thanks!! Great advice
  • angelarlozano
    Options
    In spite of all the good information that everybody is giving above I will say that I lost almost 39kg and, in the process, I tried everything... eating them back, not eating them back, eating them back but only partially.

What it seemed to be the best for me, and I say for me because not all the bodies react in the same manner, it was to be closer to the total cal allowance but I dont eat them back.

I train in the evenings so, when Im back home I dont feel that hungry to eat back 1000 or 1200 cal (in my trainings i can burn up to 1600 cal in two sessions, I am PT)

What I do is to fuel my body beforehand, then burn all the calories making sure that I deplete my energy storage and when I come back home I use to have salad and fruit salads for dinner, thats all.

At the beginning I freaked out of eating cal back when I knew how difficult was to burn them but I experimented with my self and saw that my body performs better and the weight loss is more consistant when I stay close to the daily allowance and always above 1000 net cal

I hope my testimony helps! :)

It definitely does! thanks for the advice :)
  • angelarlozano
    Options
    Try this website, It will answer your questions. http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

LOL, Thanks for the link
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Everybody is different...

I do not eat them. I burned them for a reason, as long as I can still do 30-40 miles on a bike without bonking, I plan to stay inside of my targeted daily goal. This said, if I am planning a 50-100 mile ride I do pre-fuel heavily and eat like a king on the bike.

Do what makes YOU comfortable and what YOU can sustain. I get to play with 2000 calories so it is relatively easy to be sure that I am getting the macro nutrients I need. With a lower target you will have to listen to YOU to find a balance that works.

As hard as it is not to, try not to over think this....enjoy the journey.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options

This.... The calorie estimates in MFP are crazy ridiculous. Heck, most heart rate monitors overestimate by a fair amount as well.