2 or 3 stones overweight and doing Slimfast?

Options
Hello there,

I have started a slimfast diet a couple of days ago and was wondering if anyone else is following the plan? I have approximately 3 stones (42 lbs) to lose and wondered if anyone had tried it and to what degree of success. I'm also using the treadmill about 3 days a week, my back has been much weaker since I had my son about 14 months ago so I was unable to exercise at all for the first 8 months post-birth so my fitness is terrible.

Anyone been successful on slimfast? How long did it take to lose the weight and how much were you losing a week or in a month?
Thank you

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not really for me. Drinking their milkshakes is just a way to create a calorie deficit - which you can do with food anyway. Or you could make your own shakes and have control over the nutritional content. I also feel that replacing meals with shakes takes away the decision-making process that is a major part of learning to live a healthier lifestyle (ie losing the weight and keeping it off). BUT - that's just me. :smile:

There's a group here you might find some like-minded people: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/681-slim-fast It is apparently a hate-free zone. :wink:
  • standupjuno
    standupjuno Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks Jester ; ) Will checkout the group.
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Why are you going the route of slimfast? Permanent weight loss comes from changing your eating habits and not from any sort of "quick fix" shake program. Chances are you'll drop a lot of weight but what happens when you are no longer relying on the shakes? I'd really recommend taking the slow and steady approach of preparing and eating regular meals that meet your nutritional needs and recommended calorie intake for your desired weight loss goals. :flowerforyou:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    In the long run, "fad" diets never work. If you lose anything, you'll go back to your old habits and put the weight back on. The only way to lose weight permanently is to change your lifestyle habits. Get some exercise, eat healthy. The weight will come off on it's own.
  • suej20
    suej20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump! Got a friend who has done it 3 times now, lost 4 stone each time, and then every single time put it straight back on again, Tried telling her she's not educating herself but to no avail.
  • foxyvolks
    Options
    I find you get really hungry. I use slimfast for my breakfast now and again if i dont feel like eating as im not a breakfast fan but know i got to have it, its a good sub for that. Anything else i wouldnt suggest though, ive been there and tried it as a full time diet and its not worth it to be honest xx
  • bevtyndall
    bevtyndall Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a week.Skakes get old fast.Its nothing like eating food and getting the same result.
  • vara123
    vara123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sentiments others have expressed on this, it's really not a way of keeping it off as there is no re-education. I can see why the shakes are 'easy' but MFP makes it really easy to eat 'normal' food, and record it all (without complicated food tables/diaries like old calorie-restriction diets used to have). I've lost 2st 10lbs so far with MFP, eating 1600 net calories a day since January 10th 2012. So that's almost 7 months. Not long really if you think about it, and the important thing is the way I am eating has just become second nature to me now - hopefully that means I won't be putting anything back on. I'm probably not doing this as 'clean' as many people do - I drink wine, eat crisps, eat chocolate, I just factor it all in to my calorie-counts and that way I am not denying myself. I imagine after a week of slimfast I would be bored to death and sick of not being able to eat all the things I wanted to, and would pile it back on fast after I began eating 'normally' again.

What ever works for you though! Good luck!
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    it's not a good diet, it only provided 1/3 of your RDA of vitamins and minerals, works on the central nervous system meaning you will lose lean muscle and not fat meaning when you stop you will put the weight back on most likely. I agree with the others you need to educate yourself to change your lifestyle to an overall healthy eating exercise e.t.c
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Tried and failed with various slimfast-like plans. Then used meal replacement shakes as an easy way to work out how many cals I felt ok with when starting mfp. (I had lots of stuff left I wanted to use up). That was good as post-preg and breastfeeding my eating was screwy and I had no time to work everything out. Quickly replaced shakes with meals over a week and a half and up and running now. Its not a bad way to get started imo but I cant do the cal restriction diets with shakes - I always end up falling off the wagon. Good eating and exercise is the long term way to go I think.

I still have a shake almost daily to make up cals and cos its a sweet fix thats nutritionally more balanced than the chocolate I would otherwise eat - but thats just me.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    it's not a good diet, it only provided 1/3 of your RDA of vitamins and minerals,
    That's per serving though ! If you follow the plan you get 100% for low calories, something that takes effort with normal food unless you use supplements.