I don't have a clue as to how to lose weight!! Please Help!

Options
Hello All,
My name is Lisa and I signed up for this site a couple of months ago and haven't done anything with it!! Yes I'm ashamed :embarassed: but now I'm ready. But the problem is I really don't know how to lose weight. I am 198 lbs 5'5. I have decieded to give up on fast food and soda (which I love), and drink more water (which I hate). I've signed up for water aerobics which starts tomorrow and I am looking forward to my new change in my life. I'm tired of running into people whom I haven't seen in a long time and getting the DAYUM!!! What happened to you?? I give the excuse marriage and 4 kids!! But that's exactly what it is...an excuse!! I've never really tried to lose weight probably because I don't know how!! I'm always tired, I don't like the way I look or the way my clothes fit!! It's time for a change and the change needs to start now! So today my journey begins and I'm asking for some support because I'm traveling on uncharted grounds and I can honestly say I am afraid and excited!! I would like to wish you all luck on your weight loss journey!! If possible could you please add me as a friend and drop some tips which seem to help you on your weight loss journey, anything helps!! I would greatly appericate it!!
BTW!!
THANKS!! (in advance) :happy:

Replies

• heartsherps
    heartsherps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Log everything. It sounds like a pain, but honestly that's probably the best way to do it. Even if you eat badly (see my last few days) log it. It will keep you aware of what you are putting into your body. As far as water goes: Mio has helped me along with sugar free Hawaiian Punch packets.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Doing something outside of your comfort zone is hard at first, but you sound like you are ready to give it a proper go.

Now for the good news (promise not to tell anyone outside of MFP), it's not actually that difficult! :bigsmile:

The single most important thing you need to know is the ONLY proven method for losing weight is consuming (eating and drinking) less calories than you burn (through every day living and any exercise).

There are layers and layers of other information will help you lose fat and get healthier, but this is the single most important fact you need to remember - that is why tracking calories works!

My recommendation to begin with is to figure out a reasonable diet that you can stick to (no need to live on turkey breast and lettuce). and get involved in some regular exercise. The water aerobics is great because it is low impact, but anything like walking, swimming - whatever you are comfortable with is great!

You will have probably set your diary to a 2lb loss (everyone does to start :tongue: ), so remember if you earn extra calories through exercise, you CAN and should eat those back.

Finally, please spend some time surfing the forums here. There is a lot of crap, but you will pick up some really useful information that will help you along the way.

All the best for the next phase, and feel free to hit me up if I can be of any more help!

:flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, losing weight doesn't have to be hard but you do have to pay attention to what you are eating and how much you are moving.

MFP is a great tool for that - I suggest that you start out by logging the foods you are eating right now without making any changed just yet. Once you've done this for a few days you'll be able to see where all the calories are coming from and work out where to make changes.

Don't set yourself up with a huge big expectation - I think it's better to set a moderate goal (like "lose 1/2 pound a week") and stick to that than it is to try to lose 10 pounds in a month, which might just set you up to fail.

Maybe try changing one thing at a time - eat a healthy breakfast every day for a week, exercise 5 times a week, replace one unhealthy snack with a better choice - all those small choices will add up to a much healthier lifestyle.

Exercise is great for your mind and your body but you don't have to go overboard. Try to fit in 30 mins or so most days, log it in your diary and you get to eat more on those days.
  • kazoooo8
    kazoooo8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean about the DAMN look!!! I've told people for years that I hate hate hate that moment when you run into friends you havn't seen for a long time. I went from being about 140 lb (I'm 5'8") most of my life until I hit my 40s and a bad marriage and soared to 230 lb.

This site is really cool cuz you just don't realize how much junk we put in our face until you start tracking it. I was eating thousands of calories a day of useless crap. First thing I did also was give up fast food and diet pepsi which I drank about 2 liters or more a day. I've lost 7 lb in a couple weeks but more importantly, I feel GOOD!! Its a good start and this place is full of great advice. Get yourself some good friends that you have common goals.
  • NurseJodies
    NurseJodies Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Log everything and buy a pedometer. You'll be surprised how this cheap tool can help motivate you to be more active. The easiest way is to let MFP set your goals initially. After you become a pro, you can adjust it.

Eat plenty of lean protein and drink water to stave off hunger. The first few weeks, I really struggled with portion control so I ate lean cuisine and healthy choice meals and allowed myself loads of steamed green veggies. It gets a lot easier after a few weeks. You'll find what helps or works against you if you carefully monitor your intake and exercise.

Good Luck!
  • kaimilan
    Options
    WOW!! I am smiling so hard right now!! I am so thankful for all of the words of encouagement and advise!! I am really pumped about losing weight and I can't wait to see it come off. I am gonna start with a small goal of 1lb per week and see what happens. Because I was gonna start with 3lbs which is possible but I think I need to crawl before I walk!! So I need to be realistic. And take it slow
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    keep it simple to start with... move a bit more and eat a bit less... cut down to one soda per day and aim to eat your 5 portions of fruit and veg a day.

most importantly you need to be patient, aim for 1lb loss per week and KEEP GOING! to be succesful you need to make lifestyle changes, not go on a diet.

good luck!!!!
  • brilaa
    brilaa Posts: 22
    Options
    hey I like you in a few months ago signed up for this and never utilized it until a couple of days ago. I haven't really made any changes to work at me back I have made changes to the amount I've been following the plan and I already feel good I mean I feel like I am in control of food again and it's not controlling me. I am thankful that I found your post because I am looking to meet new friends and support and get in cars made along the way I have a 90 more pounds to lose and ready. please add me girly And keep in touch for real!!!! Im here!!
  • kscouten
    kscouten Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First I want to wish you luck on your journey to a healthier you! I learned a lot by reading through these forums! The one thing that has stuck in my head is do what you love to do! If you love playing outside with your kids, set your goal to play an extra hour a week with them. Meaning moving around (playing tag, going for a walk, or playing at a playground). Whatever it is you love, do it.
    Also like everyone has said log everything. I ate normal for the first week, then went back and looked at what I was eating and decided I needed to make some changes. Little by little I have been changing my eating habits. If I tried to change everything at once I would fail, but thats me. Eating back calories, say your calorie goal is 1200 a day and you burn 400 calories, you now can eat 1600 calories that day. Not everyone eats back their calories but you can if it works for you. You can add me if you would like!
  • jujewelss
    Options
    Well.. I had this account for a while too.. but I stopped logging on... and guess what happened! I GAINED 10lbs... after I lost them. T.T So, the same thing as everyone is saying, "Log everything in."

Instead of logging the meals after I eat them and everything, I plan my meals ahead of time. I already have logged in what I'm going to eat tomorrow and in my brain it has the "You can't eat more."

I am like you too. I LOVE soda. But instead of quitting cold turkey, I reduced it to 6oz a day; less than what I used to drink.

If you have a smartphone, download the app for this :D and download other weight loss apps. They help me. I have a meal reminder.. so my stomach can get used to it. I have a water reminder, so it reminds me to drink a cup of water. I have motivation quotes, and some exercise apps (I do one a day before Insanity). Things like this will get you into a routine.. and you'll see results in 2-3 weeks. This is not motivating... but if things were easy, no one would be fat.

I also made a blog on a website and I am posting videos on another website. Everyday I will do a blog. Once in a while a video. Why do I do this? I hate letting people down. I have people following me.. so I have in my mind a reminder that at least some ONE cares. So this might help you too if you have family members or friends supporting you... maybe even strangers.

ANYWAY....

GOOD LUCK! You'll actually feel better and healthier after the first week. CRAVINGS are like OMG. but... say no.. and save it as a reward. A "cheat" day is good for the body too. But not once a week... maybe once every two weeks.. or once every month.

Don't compare your body to others. Compare your body to the one that you had yesterday. If you see a healthier you tomorrow.. then you're heading to the right path.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING if you have the phone app it's brilliant for this because you can use it anywhere, i've even started using it doing the food shopping so i know what i'm buying. i've tried loads of diet routines in the past and they're all too complicated or try to starve you. i always thought counting calories would be difficult but this site and phone app make it so simple. my goal is set for 1 pound per week and with extra exercise and making the right choices i'm losing 2 pound per week. you can do this. i'll add you as a friend x
  • brittanypeters1990
    brittanypeters1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Log EVERYTHING if you have the phone app it's brilliant for this because you can use it anywhere, i've even started using it doing the food shopping so i know what i'm buying. i've tried loads of diet routines in the past and they're all too complicated or try to starve you. i always thought counting calories would be difficult but this site and phone app make it so simple. my goal is set for 1 pound per week and with extra exercise and making the right choices i'm losing 2 pound per week. you can do this. i'll add you as a friend x

There is also a wonderful app called fooducate great for grocery shopping. Check it out!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I am smiling so hard right now!! I am so thankful for all of the words of encouagement and advise!! I am really pumped about losing weight and I can't wait to see it come off. I am gonna start with a small goal of 1lb per week and see what happens. Because I was gonna start with 3lbs which is possible but I think I need to crawl before I walk!! So I need to be realistic. And take it slow

YES!!! I have a good feeling about you! Take it nice and slow and it will be more attainable and maintainable in the long run. Just use MFP and log your food and exercise and be patient. This can be a lot of fun and once it becomes habit, it's really easy. Sometimes the loss slows down a bit, but it will work in the long run if you stick with it! You can do this! :heart:
    P.S. There is a lot of really dumb advice rolling around the forums, so take advice carefully...
  • vixmonsta
    vixmonsta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    log everything and look at it - i found i was overdosing on wheat carbs and starving myself of protein... once i saw that and adjusted my diet to something a lot more balanced the weight came off and is staying off (currently got rid of 2.5 stone and wanting another half to go)

I also love dancing - so found Zumba - it's a brilliant for me as it's a workout that you sometimes forget you're doing as you're carried away with the song you're on- although the sweatiness of me at the end of each class tells me i did...

and keep on with the water - you'll get used to it honest :-) (and like some of the others said don't cut out the things you love completely - just bring them down to moderate quantities.

good luck!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised

Hi! Welcome to MFP. My best advice to you would be to start here and get your numbers right, first thing. Everything else will fall into place for you after that. Wish someone had told me this at the beginning. Good luck!
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

YES!!! I have a good feeling about you! ...

^^ THIS!!^^ I too have a good feeling about you and have just sent you a friend request! Good luck!
  • jbaum329
    jbaum329 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keys to lose weight:
    Burn more calories than you eat. Tracking calories and exercise on MFP really helps with this. The general rule for weight loss is to burn 250 to 500 calories per day by either cutting back on calories or exercising more. You can lose 1/2 to 1 pound per week, which is recommended for healthy and safe weight loss.

If you don't exercise one day, make sure to cut the calories that day. If you do exercise, make sure to eat healthy foods to fuel your body that day. Taking a daily vitamin, at meal times, will help with keeping up with nutrition needs too, as you adjust to this change in eating. It's probably better to always take a vitamin with food since sometimes they can make you feel nauseated on an empty stomach or if you only eat a light meal. (I sometimes cut my vitamin in half with a pill cutter and take one of the halves with breakfast or lunch and the other with dinner, as I tend to eat light some times.)

Being consistent with healthy eating habits and regularly exercising are very important in helping you reach your physical fitness goals. If you keep trying, you will see results.

The more you learn about fitness and nutrition the better off you are in making the most out of your efforts and choices. Losing weight takes initiative and a certain amount of passion, too.

A good website to get quick access to nutrition and fitness information is livestrong.com. I've been using that site whenever I have a fitness or nutrition related question and I almost always find some good advice there, for myself. Good luck!
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Once you get your head around how many calories are in various things, and you get used to simply going without (or having a tiny bit)...it all gets easier. At first it feels like you need to shout "NO" from the rooftops to all sorts of things, but gradually you genuinely don't think it's worth the calories, or you have a taste.

Good luck.
  • jbloomfj
    jbloomfj Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP. You will be amazed when you write down what you have been eating and see how many calories that you have been consuming. I had no idea how much I was eating unitl i joined MFP. I still eat things that are bad for you, but I may have one doughnut instead of four. everthing in moderation. You can add me as a friend if you wish.
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa

This app is by far the best way to lose weight :)

For the 50 days i have been using it, i've lost 7lbs, losing a pound a week.

I very rarely excerise, i just eat low calorie foods, but i also eat what i want e.g Mcdonalds, crisps, chocolate.
    Only in moderation though and on the weekends :)

As long as you have a deficit of calories every week, you'll lose :)

You say you have kids, As its the holidays get yourself out :)