Slim Fast Alternative

Options
Can someone give me an alternative to slim fast. I love love love to have one each morning. It's like my chocolate rush for the day. I add crushed ice to it and a little instand decaf coffee and blend it up in my Magic Bullet.

Is there something else that would be the same and be better for me?

You can look at my diary to see that I've been pretty good on that front, but, I think there may be better things (quick to make) that I can have each day or at least start to alternate.

Thanks for the help!! :smile:

Replies

• Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Any high protein low sugar low cal protain shakes.

If you look at myprotein.co.uk they have lots of different flavours even latte (yummers!) and mocha etc etc. and I have a protein shake for breakfast most days.

but best to get off them asap if you wanna lose weight as they have SOOOOOO much sugar in them its ridiculous
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    skip the slim fast shakes all together. they are so not good for you (despite what they say).... get some protein powder, ice, unsweetened coconut milk -- will be so good, and so much better for you.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If you have access to a Safeway store, try the Safeway brand Chocolate Royale. It's yummy! I prefer it over Slimfast and it's a whole lot cheaper! I use them for my morning snack at 170 calories.
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    this is not a protein shake but a good slushy :smile: on a hot day

It's my recipe that I submitted to Dr. Berntein Diet clinics and now accepted and on their sites :flowerforyou:

Melinda’s Strawberry Slushy

Submitted by: Melinda *****
    INGREDIENTS
    ¾ cup 190ml Crystal Lite – already pre-mixed per package directions)
    1 cup Kraft Jell-O No Sugar added Strawberry Jell-O (frozen)
    ½ cup 2.5 oz Strawberries sliced
    1 cup 250ml Crushed Ice
    10 drops Liquid sweetener
    METHOD
    1. Blend all ingredients together.
    2. Add more ice if thickness desired.

YIELD: ½ fruit, 1 Jell-O serving
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. But my shake is unflavored unsweetened protein powder, silk original coconut milk diluted with a bit of water, frozen half banana, and ovaltine. Bit of ice in the blender. YUM. You could add cocoa to make it more chocate-y but I love the malt. Sometimes I add iced coffee or coffee powder. Sometimes PB. It's all good.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed. But my shake is unflavored unsweetened protein powder, silk original coconut milk diluted with a bit of water, frozen half banana, and ovaltine. Bit of ice in the blender. YUM. You could add cocoa to make it more chocate-y but I love the malt. Sometimes I add iced coffee or coffee powder. Sometimes PB. It's all good.

Oh sorry, I will try to fix that. On my end it says it's open.

I have been losing weight even while having this, I even stay within my sugars for the day. Sodium is what gets me, that little stinker hides in everything!!!

ETA: I've opened my diary now, all fixed.
  • Squible
    Options
    2 scoops of slimfast = 30g sugar this is really high. I know it will be within your limit but it is still alot from one thing and sugar, if not burnt off will turn to fat etc.

You will be losing weight as you are lowering your calories I'm just talking about overal health as well.

Asyou asked in the beginning (and your post title) is a slim fast alternative.....my opinion a low sugar protein shake will help aid you in the weight loss.
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    Ok everyone, next question.

Where can I find the low sugar powder and which ones taste the best?

I really am asking because deep down, I do know it's not that great for me at all. I just really like how quickly I can make it and can drink it on the run. I have a 5 (almost 6 year old) in tow at a very eary time of the morning. I need something fast and right now, slim fast is it.

I have never done a full slim fast diet, that's like starving youself.....LOL
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    2 scoops of slimfast = 30g sugar this is really high. I know it will be within your limit but it is still alot from one thing and sugar, if not burnt off will turn to fat etc.

You will be losing weight as you are lowering your calories I'm just talking about overal health as well.

Asyou asked in the beginning (and your post title) is a slim fast alternative.....my opinion a low sugar protein shake will help aid you in the weight loss.

I only use 1 scoop, I think that's what reccommended on the can?
  • Squible
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Hmmm I'm not sure, I thought it was two and I'm pretty sure that what I had when I was on it....lol mayb thats why my sugars were so high then!
  • OnionMomma
    Options

[/quote]

Hmmm I'm not sure, I thought it was two and I'm pretty sure that what I had when I was on it....lol mayb thats why my sugars were so high then!
    [/quote]

oooooopppss, that would give me a huge sugar rush.....LOL I would be bouncing off the walls.

Thanks everyone, I am going to have to check around and see what I can find for a new "shake" that will fill my cravings. I have no problem adding fruit instead of the sugar to get my "fix".

I love me some fruit!!! :heart:
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Meijers sell a protein powder mix that comes in choc. and sells for about $15, a months supply at least. It gives you 35 grams of protein that helps get rid of fat!!
  • pj12string
    pj12string Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The best tasting, most filling and most nutritional shake that I've had is shakeology by beachbody. i have a chocolate shake every morning with a teaspoon of Peanut butter in it as my breakfast. It is delicious and tastes like chocolate/peanut butter ice cream. It is also chock full of nutrients, as they say, 100 doctors can't be wrong. Message me for more information.
  • alemiszki
    Options
    My fiancé and I both used bodybyvi for awhile but have recently switched to Promasil. It's amazing, we use it after our workouts. You can find it at gnc. It's low carb low sugar high protein.
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I don't know if it's really considered low sugar, but we get protein powder at Target. $18 for a month supply - I add it to my coffee for my morning snack. So does hubby. He also puts in it his cereal and oatmeal.

Edit: Just went and checked. 2g sugar, 25g protein, 2g fat. Which surprised me since I'm a coffee wimp and don't add much sugar to my coffee and now use vanilla protein powder instead of creamer but it's still sweet enough. Maybe I'm finally resetting my taste buds.
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    OK people, I'm not going to switch slim fast for another similiar product....sorry!!!

I will however switch to "normal" foods that I can blend up or a protien powder I can get at GNC or some such place.

I don't want to replace one evil with another one!! LOL
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can use EAS carb advantage shakes. They are pre-made in the same isle as Slim Fast. In my parts it cost about $5 for a 4 shake package.
  • SusieCincinnati
    Options
    Try IdealShape. I mix with Almond Vanilla milk and CocoaVia powder. Extra chocolaty. Only 1 g of sugar and 11 g of protein and 120 calories. I put it in the freezer, work out for 30-45 minutes, and it's like drinking a milkshake for breakfast! I buy IdealShape on their website as it is cheaper than amazon. Almond Vanilla milk has 50% more calcium than milk and tastes sweeter. The CocoaVia only has 30 calories and really adds a punch of chocolate. Very filling and only 240 calories for the whole shake altogether.
  • OnionMomma
    Options
    Does anyone have links to sites they use for bunches of recipes?

I have found a few that look really good using just normal every day ingrediants (sp? LOL).

I would much rather use natral things I can buy at the store than a powder to mix in. I mean, if anyone can reccomend a really healthy one then yes.
  • orchid568
    orchid568 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shakeology, I like the chocolate mixed with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and half a banana and we use almond milk or diet V8 Splash. It pure makes your tongue slap your brain. That means it is yummy delicious. My daughter is a Beachbody Coach and we get it through her. After we workout, we have a shake. Really a good post-workout drink. It helps the body recover faster. And all the ingredients come from real foods, no caffeine to give you the shakes, and oh yeah, did I tell you it was delicious!?! If you are interested, her facebook page is www.facebook.com/HealthAndFitnesswithTiff.