Why oh why...

Options
Why do we eat when we don't really need to???
Here I am sat at my desk, not particularly busy, and I'm not hungry, but I'm picking!
How can I stop?!!?
:ohwell:

Replies

• GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Get some distracting things on your desk.

Magnets, modelling clay.. anything..
    Or just keep things that wont hurt in reach, like nuts or sultanas or grapes.

Thats what I do. Or I write or draw.
    Just keep your hands busy and you should be fine,,

Oh and have a bottle of water with you. Thirst is often confused with hunger.
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Trying my best with the water - have a litre bottle and finish it each day.
    Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Or just keep things that wont hurt in reach, like nuts or sultanas or grapes..

Nuts are very high calorie. Even though they are good fats, giving yourself permission to eat them like they are nothing will quickly erase any day's deficit.
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Today I snacked on watermelon, pineapple and dried apricots - at least I've changed to healthy...
    i would just like to be one of those people who only eats when needed!
    :explode:
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    Options

Nuts are very high calorie. Even though they are good fats, giving yourself permission to eat them like they are nothing will quickly erase any day's deficit.

Depend on which nuts you choose :)
  • 21stcenturyfox
    Options
    SAME.

I used to go immediately to a bag of chips or something but now I make a hot mug of green tea with some honey... and then I go on MFP and read all the recent posts until my inbox fills a little more :)
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Today I snacked on watermelon, pineapple and dried apricots -

Those three things.. eaten all in one day.. would have me gnawing at my chair.
    I would need to tone down the amount of fruits i have and amp up the protein and veg to stop snacking
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Which nuts are you referring to? Just wondering 'cause I didn't know of a nut that was really low calorie.
  • veganjen
    Options
    I have the same problem! I work from home and kitchen is a big temptation.

I find the following works:

1. Hot drinks - herbal tea, coffee, low cal hot chocolate for a treat
    2. Pickled onions, beetroot, gherkins - though make sure you clean your teeth before kissing anyone! Speaking of which...
    3. Clean you teeth - no one wants to ruin a nice clean set of gnashers
    4. Chewing gum or sucking sugar free sweets sparingly
    5. Chopped veggies, sliced apple, berries

But remember, snacking is good!It boosts your meabolism so If I were you, I'd just compensate the snacking by eating smaller portions at meal times.
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to when I quit smoking. When the urge for a cigarette would come upon me, I'd make a deal with myself to wait 10 minutes. Usually, the urge just passed without event. If after 10 minutes, you still can't resisit, then at least try to reach for the healthy stuff!
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    Options

Which nuts are you referring to? Just wondering 'cause I didn't know of a nut that was really low calorie.

Almonds, Cashews, Chestnuts. Though it also depends a whole lot on how they are cooked and if they are salted or not.
  • wyllaya
    wyllaya Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Magnets, modelling clay.. anything..

Hahaha my family think i'm crazy because of the modeling clay....
    I even know witch brand is the best for me because i tried every brand out there
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    I used to do this and I changed my eating schedule to 4-5 small meals a day. Now I eat every 2-3 hours and am alwyas full. This might work for you?
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping gum at my desk helps.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options

I have to agree about the nuts. I ate some smoked almonds the other day as a snack. I logged them in the computer and holy cow: the calories weren't that bad but the sodium was too high for me to eat again.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Today I snacked on watermelon, pineapple and dried apricots - at least I've changed to healthy...
    i would just like to be one of those people who only eats when needed!
    :explode:

If I snack on fruit without ALSO having some protein at the same time, i sugar crash a little later and want more food. a SMALL amount of nuts is a good addition (high in calories, I usually go with HALF the serving size). or a piece of part-skim string cheese.

Also beware: with dried fruits (which i LOVE!) an apricot is an apricot, dried or fresh... but the dried looks smaller and feels like less. I can easily eat several dried apricots without thinking, but i wouldn't dream of eating several fresh ones at once. So, a handful of dried fruits doesn't seem as worth it to me as something fresh and juicy.
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    drinking water and chewing gum :) although sometime gum does make you more hungry. tricks your stomach into thinking your eating, or something like that lol
  • virgocoley
    virgocoley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't normally pick between meals however if I do I will have one of those Ainsley Harriet cup of Soups - they are really tasty and less than 100 cals
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have a huge bag of celery and carrot sticks as I am trying to avoid having so much sugar from fruits. I do keep an 'emergency' stash of raisins and a granola bar in case I am hungry for real or need to eat some extra calories when I plan to burn a lot from exercising and not just picking for something to do. Those are a little out of reach and require a conscious effort to get to so they do not tempt me.

I think for me the carrots and celery discourage me from just eating to eat because neither are particularly sweet. I found for myself I am less likely to eat mindlessly when my only choices are veggies, cottage cheese and salad.
  • handle123
    Options
    Carrot Sticks and Humous.... i always have them on my desk!