peanut butter is mine a "good" choice?

Options
I live in Scotland in the UK and been looking for a healthy choice peanut butter that I also enjoy. there seems to be little choice in large super markets - I posted a topic before and had loads of ppl telling me the good ones, but I cant find them where I live :(

The one I have settled on, that I like the taste of and think is healthy is "whole earth smooth organic"

ingredients :- roasted peanuts 92%, palm oil and sea salt

food facts :- for 100g --
595 cals
24.6 protein
9.9 carbs
3.7 sugar
50.8 fat
9.1 saturated fat
7.1 fibre
0.4 salt

Ive researched and find that some ppl are for and some against palm oil so Im not sure my peanut butter is a good choice

Replies

• clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Palm Oil :(

Sainsbury's do a reduced fat one ...
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I say skip the peanut butter its unhealthy, instead eat beans and almonds for protein instead. Almond butter might be a more healthy choice. Peanut butter has a lot of saturated fats to protein ratio.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I say skip the peanut butter its unhealthy, instead eat beans and almonds for protein instead. Almond butter might be a more healthy choice. Peanut butter has a lot of saturated fats to protein ratio.

I disagree completely. Peanut butter is not unhealthy, nor does the presence of saturated fat automatically make something unhealthy. See the article below. To the original poster, the palm oil is a bummer. I like my PB to have only peanuts and salt as the ingredient with no added oils.

As summarized by Walter C. Willett, M.D., Harvard School of Public Health:

The presence of saturated fat doesn't automatically kick a food into the "unhealthy" camp. Olive oil, wheat germ, and even tofu — all "healthy" foods — have some saturated fat. It's the whole package of nutrients, not just one or two, that determines how good a particular food is for health.

Let's take a look at the peanut butter package. One serving (about 2 tablespoons) has 3.3 grams of saturated fat and 12.3 grams of unsaturated fat, or about 80% unsaturated fat. That puts it up there with olive oil in terms of the ratio of unsaturated to saturated fat. Peanut butter also gives you some fiber, some vitamins and minerals (including 200 milligrams of potassium), and other nutrients. Unsalted peanut butter, with 5 milligrams of sodium, has a terrific potassium-to-sodium ratio. Salted peanut butter still has about twice as much potassium as sodium. That profile compares quite favorably with bologna, roast beef, and many other sandwich fixings.

Over the years, numerous studies have shown that people who regularly include nuts or peanut butter in their diets are less likely to develop heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who rarely eat nuts. Although it is possible that nut eaters are somehow different from, and healthier than, non-nutters, it is more likely that nuts themselves have a lot to do with these benefits.

Saturated fat isn't the deadly toxin it is sometimes made out to be. The body's response to saturated fat in food is to increase the amounts of both harmful LDL and protective HDL in circulation. In moderation, some saturated fat is okay. Eating a lot of it, though, promotes artery-clogging atherosclerosis, the process that underlies most cardiovascular disease. In contrast, unsaturated fats, which make up the majority of the fat content in peanut butter, help reduce LDL cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    People try to say bacon is healthy so they can continue eating it. In my opinion its fine in moderation
  • GettingDBack
    GettingDBack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a food processor? You can make you own peanut butter witrh just nuts and maybe a little salt added.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    People try to say bacon is healthy so they can continue eating it. In my opinion its fine in moderation

I agree, which is a lot different than your previous statement saying "it is unhealthy." I agree that no one should be eating tons of peanut butter; however, a serving is 2 tablespoons and I don't see how consuming that even daily would be considered unhealthy.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a food processor? You can make you own peanut butter witrh just nuts and maybe a little salt added.

yes I do and Ill give that a try :D, is there any oils I can add that will make it smoothish or does is become smoothish on its own? I dont mind crunchy but prefer it to spread a little :)
  • cereal_eater
    Options

Sainsbury's also contains palm oil. It may have less fat but unfortunately it also contains dried glucose syrup and has 7x the amount of sugar as the Whole Earth Smooth Organic - 27.7g per 100g! Of the two, I think Whole Earth is the healthier option - higher protein and fibre, less sodium and no added sugar.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    To the original poster, the palm oil is a bummer. I like my PB to have only peanuts and salt as the ingredient with no added oils.

I cant find any with only peanuts and salt, it might just be where I shop, normally large supermarkets or maybe ive over looked them ... I shall keep looking :)
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    the peanut butter & company do one that is just salt and peanuts, I find it a bit oily tho (I get it from Sainsburys and I'm in Edinburgh)

I've been using the whole earth one a lot, would like to know what's wrong with palm oil?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    To the original poster, the palm oil is a bummer. I like my PB to have only peanuts and salt as the ingredient with no added oils.

I cant find any with only peanuts and salt, it might just be where I shop, normally large supermarkets or maybe ive over looked them ... I shall keep looking :)

most supermarkets anymore have a peanut grinder. Of course, that assumes the peanuts inside are JUST peanuts.
  • cereal_eater
    Options

'Goodness Direct' (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk) sell Meridian peanut butter which contains 'Organic peanuts whole skin on 99%, sea salt 1%' - they also do a no salt version. 'Holland & Barrett' (Sauchiehall Street, Queen Street, Byres Road, Parkhead Forge,Glasgow Fort, Braehead...) stock Meridian products or it might be worth looking in 'Roots and Fruits' on Great Western Road or 'Grassroots' on Woodlands Road as they both have a good range of nut butters.
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Sainsbury's also contains palm oil. It may have less fat but unfortunately it also contains dried glucose syrup and has 7x the amount of sugar as the Whole Earth Smooth Organic - 27.7g per 100g! Of the two, I think Whole Earth is the healthier option - higher protein and fibre, less sodium and no added sugar.

Oh goodness! Good job I have weaned myself off of it :(
  • donna_glasgow
    Options

'Goodness Direct' (http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk) sell Meridian peanut butter which contains 'Organic peanuts whole skin on 99%, sea salt 1%' - they also do a no salt version. 'Holland & Barrett' (Sauchiehall Street, Queen Street, Byres Road, Parkhead Forge,Glasgow Fort, Braehead...) stock Meridian products or it might be worth looking in 'Roots and Fruits' on Great Western Road or 'Grassroots' on Woodlands Road as they both have a good range of nut butters.

Thanks for your reply, I walk by these shops lol, I'll pop in and have a look :D
  • donna_glasgow
    Options
    the peanut butter & company do one that is just salt and peanuts, I find it a bit oily tho (I get it from Sainsburys and I'm in Edinburgh)

I've been using the whole earth one a lot, would like to know what's wrong with palm oil?

Ill check sainsburys also, I don't think i've looked there, I'm normally tesco n asda :)
  • donna_glasgow
    Options

I would also like to know, but google isn't letting me find anything :(

just found one link

http://health.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474977134130
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been a JIF girl my entire life, until I discovered PB2. If you can get past the fact that it's powdered and you have to mix it with a little water, it's pretty good! I can get it to a creamy consistency similar to jarred peanut butter, I can make it thinner to spoon over some frozen yogurt, I can leave it in powdered form and mix into my protein shake. Super low in fat and calories, and if I just want a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, I don't even have to feel remotely guilty about it.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

I took one look at the ingredients list on that one and decided noooo thank you!! It's even worse than their regular peanut butter!

My local sainsbury sell meridian - best one I've tried. xx