okay so this is my meal plan

Options
Your Food Diary For:Prev Thursday December 31, 2009 Next Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Calcium
Bananas - Raw, 0.5 cup, mashed 100 26 0 1 3 1
Jillian Michael's - Natural Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla Cream Shake, 0.5 scoop 50 4 1 8 2 5
Oranges - Raw, navels, 1 fruit (2-7/8" dia) 69 18 0 1 3 6
Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup 122 11 5 8 0 29
Add Food | Remember Meal 341 59 6 18 8 41
Snack
Powerbar - Performance Bar - Peanut Butter, 1 bar (65g) 240 42 4 10 2 0
Add Food | Remember Meal 240 42 4 10 2 0
Lunch
Roman Meal - 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 2 Slice 120 22 2 6 4 4
Generic - Egg Whites (2 Scrambled), 2 Egg Whites 34 0 0 7 0 0
Add Food | Remember Meal 154 22 2 13 4 4
Snacks
Oranges - Raw, navels, 1 fruit (2-7/8" dia) 69 18 0 1 3 6
Add Food | Remember Meal 69 18 0 1 3 6
Dinner
Frozen - Mixed Veggies, 1 Cup 110 24 0 5 8 10
Generic - Salmon, 0.5 fillet 135 0 7 16 0 1
Add Food | Remember Meal 245 24 7 21 8 11
Snack
Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat, 1 cup 122 11 5 8 0 29
Add Food | Remember Meal 122 11 5 8 0 29

and im over on protein by 36... is that going to make me gain weight... and does this look like a sensible diet? this is basically im going to eat give or take an egg sandwich for a pb and j or some other sandwich that i cant think of right now

will this work?

Replies

• hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    o and the breakfast is a protein shake with banana and milk... and an orange on the side
  • hurleycutie142
    Options
    o and the breakfast is a protein shake with banana and milk... and an orange on the side
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go over on any category the best is Protein, as protein helps build and repair muscle tissue. MFP tends to set protein quite low anyway, and as long as you are under the total calories you shouldn't gain any weight.

The only thing I noticed from you meal plan is no enough veggies. More than half of your daily 5-10 servings of fruit and veggies should come from vegetables as the are lower in sugar and higher in other nutrients that fruit does not have.
  • hurleycutie142
    Options
    okay then ill add veggies to my lunch... thank u

is frozen veggies that are steamed good? cause i have about 20 bags in my freezer that have not been used in awhile...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Frozen are good, and are much better than canned. Usually veggies are frozen when the are fresh so they are almost as good as fresh. Steamed is a good way to eat them as well, better than boiling with tends to kill many of the nutrients. Happy New Year
  • Nikki_Z
    Options
    You only need about 0.8 g/lb of body weight of protein a day. Elite endurance athletes may consume up to 1.2 g/lb
    I wouldn't make it a habit of going over by too much all the time as our bodies cannot store much protein. It uses what it can (not much), then gets rid of the rest (expensive pee!). The other problem with this is that all the protein that is in excess is processed by your kidneys and over time, ingesting large amounts of protein may cause harm to your kidneys (much like alcohol).
    Having said all this, I find I often end up over on my protein by 4-12g.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Also you can look at replacing the protein bar with veggie sticks. Your protein heavy breakfast should stave off hunger until lunch so the snack can be lower in protein....
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It seems like a sensible plan...but I wonder if you are going to get boerd. I would freak out if I had that little amount of veggies. Also, 240 calories for a "snack" (your protien bar) seems like a waste. You could have a 4oz portion of salmon, a small baked potato and some steamed green beans for that amount of calories!

Call me crazy but I need quantity in order to feel satisfied. Not saying that the bars or bad but when you break down the nutrients and calorie amounts you could get a "snack" (150 calories) and add a little oompf to your lunch. (I would be sad if I only had an egg sandwich for lunch :sad: ) But I digress....

Im not an expert, I just know that this lifestyle is about trial and error and about finding the balance that is right for you as an individual. Good Luck!
  • gclark316
    gclark316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree the protein bars are a watse of calories. I think the meal plan looks ok but consider trading the milk for fat free. I had a hard time making that switch but you get used to it espically in the shakes you wont even notice it. If you are working out a lot I would consider a gram of protein per pound of body weight even Cardio or you will burn off muscle along with fat. I also think you can get very bored with this. Just be reasonable with your choices. Good luck.:happy:
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I think that overall the food plan is fine for a single day, but you should't stick with this food day after day. You will need to add variety to your diet with fresh, green leafy veges, a variety of grains, healthy protiens, etc. I agree that you should omit the power bars (yuck!) and replace them with real food that are fun/tasty to eat. In a jam (like heading to the jym with a rumbling stomach)power bars are fine, but seriously... they taste gross. You will go crazy eating such boring food repeatedly! Check out the recipe section of this website for ideas.