HATE VEGGIES

Options
I cant stand veggies.... the only thing i ever liked was potato....i now only eat sweet potato with dinner..... any alternatives? snacks that are just as healthy?

Replies

• ITS_MY_CHOICE
    ITS_MY_CHOICE Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    veggies are awesome! I had about 8 different ones for lunch :)

Don't give up on them. Prepare them different to what you have been doing and don't rule out a vegetable until you have cooked it 10 different ways.

Steam, boil, roast, grill, bbq, marinate, grate, blend, stirfry, slow cook, mix flavours together etc

I don't like mushrooms very much but if I process them and put them into pasta sauce Ill eat them. Ill even eat them cut up tiny on pizza.

I don't like banana and haven't found a way yet to like it. Ive tried it raw, frozen, grilled, bbqd and blended... but I won't give up finding new ways to try banana as its a great source of potassium.

Its normal to not like certain foods but keep trying. Id be suprised if sweet potato was the only veg you liked in the end.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    If you like fruit, load up on that and just take vitamins to compensate. You can also try V8 juice, some of them taste fruity and still have a lot of veggie juice in them and they now how light versions with less sugar. Another thing I always tell people is to eat canned pumpkin. Its my favorite go to snack because its so low calorie and it can be mixed with oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, or eaten by itself with cinnamon and sweetener. If you like sweet potatoes, pumpkin is not so different. It is incredibly healthy for you as well and is consider a super food.
  • fatzombiegirl
    Options
    Maybe you just haven't had them prepared in a way that makes them tasty.

Try some chopped or shredded zucchini with your favorite pasta dish.

Slow roast some broccoli, zucchini, onion, and carrots with your favorite seasonings. Slowly roasting brings out the sugar in the veggies so they are sweet and caramelized and yummy.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't stop trying. My hubby hated veg, but after a couple years of being married, he started trying them and realised what he hated was the way his mum cooked veg...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I cant stand veggies.... the only thing i ever liked was potato....i now only eat sweet potato with dinner..... any alternatives? snacks that are just as healthy?

veggies as in the people who refuse to eat dead animals or the food matter that grows out of the ground?
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Keep trying. I used to hate veggies too, but now I really enjoy a wide variety. The longer I eat healthy, the more my body enjoys those healthy foods.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Start by putting them in strong sauces - ragu, curry etc. and then maybe after a while you will like them!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    As I type this I am snacking on cauliflower. :cry:
  • rock127
    rock127 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

A lot of people want to have veggi food but they are not sure what to eat since they are quite used to non-veg food.You need to explore the huge variety of tasty and nutritious veggi food.For dinner you can try tasty cooked lentils in Indian style.For snacks you can have sprouts sprinkled with Lemon and fine cut Coriander leaves.

It would take some time to develop the taste but you would like it.

Also there are lot of veggi people so you can ask around and join Veggi groups here.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I agree with alot of what was already mentioned. Most folks with hatred towards vegetables either stems from childhood memories of really nastily-prepared vegetables, for some it could be texture issues, it could be anything really.

Vegetables are so very important though - that naturally occuring fiber is needed on so many levels.

Consider trying one new vegetable per week and find a recipe that it is featured in. You know what you like for dishes (whether it be french, spanish, mexican, italian, etc, etc), consider incorporating that one vegetable into a dish you cant wait to make that you are in the mood for.

Some vegetables are great when raw, or stir-fried, sauteed, incorporated into a casserole, etc...

Very important to get some sort of vegetable in you. It can be done but the battle itself is 10%, you are the 90%.

you can do this!!!! 8-)
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Veggies are gross. I have to hide them in casseroles or yummy dishes so that I'll get the proper amount. There are a few that I like though....

With a drastic change in diet comes mild changes in one's tastebuds. If you hate it now, you probably won't love it later. But if you just don't prefer it now, you might find yourself craving it in a few weeks.
  • rock127
    Options
    I agree with alot of what was already mentioned. Most folks with hatred towards vegetables either stems from childhood memories of really nastily-prepared vegetables, for some it could be texture issues, it could be anything really.

Vegetables are so very important though - that naturally occuring fiber is needed on so many levels.

Consider trying one new vegetable per week and find a recipe that it is featured in. You know what you like for dishes (whether it be french, spanish, mexican, italian, etc, etc), consider incorporating that one vegetable into a dish you cant wait to make that you are in the mood for.

Some vegetables are great when raw, or stir-fried, sauteed, incorporated into a casserole, etc...

Very important to get some sort of vegetable in you. It can be done but the battle itself is 10%, you are the 90%.

you can do this!!!! 8-)

LOL... yeah it has to do with the tasteless or ill-prepared veggis we were fed forcefully in childhood which makes us "Ewww" thinking about veggies.

Cooking style/spices is very important.Using different spices enhances or drastically change the taste.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just try different veggies. there's a whole world of them out there. I don't understand how you can say you don't like an entire food group. try different ways of preparing them. Put them in protein shakes (I love veggies but I often put beans (black beans or white kidney beans) in my protein shakes - Promise you can't taste them)..... There are really no alternatives that are 'just as healthy' as vegetables. sorry. suck it up and do what needs to be done.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

you can do this!!!! 8-)

LOL... yeah it has to do with the tasteless or ill-prepared veggis we were fed forcefully in childhood which makes us "Ewww" thinking about veggies.

Cooking style/spices is very important.Using different spices enhances or drastically change the taste.

My first entry never indicated "force fed" so I dont know where you are getting that from... however, if you saw how my mother attempted - you would be crawling under your skin.... BLEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Most veg on it's own is pretty grim. although I will eat raw carrots and peppers. But I find I need to put flavours with veggies to stop them from being bland and unappetizing, but then I am a person who likes strong tastes. And I still hate sprouts no matter which way they are cooked!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just haven't had them prepared in a way that makes them tasty.

I agree. I am skeptical of anyone who claims to hate all vegetables, that's just being super picky. There are hundreds upon hundreds of varieties that can be eaten raw, roasted, sauteed, pickled, etc. Chances are you aren't preparing them in a tasty manner. I think steamed is boring and prefer to roast most veg- toss in olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then stick in a hot oven until brown and tender.

Worst case, people hide veg in their children's food. if you are that picky, sneak vegetables in your diet. There are cookbooks dedicated to sneaking veg into a child's diet. The Sneaky Chef and Jessica Seinfeld both have cookbooks geared towards hiding veg.
  • rock127
    Options
    Most veg on it's own is pretty grim. although I will eat raw carrots and peppers. But I find I need to put flavours with veggies to stop them from being bland and unappetizing, but then I am a person who likes strong tastes. And I still hate sprouts no matter which way they are cooked!

Sometime I eat raw veggis like carrots,cucumbers etc and sometime I use bit of black salt etc to enhance it's taste and digestions as well.

Have you tried sprouts with Lemon juice,Coriander and black salt?
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't stop trying. My hubby hated veg, but after a couple years of being married, he started trying them and realised what he hated was the way his mum cooked veg...

so there still might be hope for my husband after all? lol. we've been married for 7yrs and the only vegetables he will willingly eat are corn, peas, and carrots. sigh.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you don't have to eat vegetables, i eat alot of lean meats and red meats..some people are just natural carnivores, just saying