Plain Healthy Meal Ideas Following Gastric Upset

Hi All,

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I'm looking for plain meal ideas to start introducing food back into my diet. I've been suffering from gastroenteritis for almost two weeks now, it's been evil! As you can imagine my diet has gone out of the window, I've just been eating toast and porridge made with water when I've been able to stomach it.

Today is the first day I've felt hungry and I want to eat something more substantial, have you got any ideas of healthy, plain meal ideas so I can start introducing food back into my diet?

Things I guess I should probably avoid:
Cheese
Spicy food
Acidic Foods
Heavy food
Fatty food
Processed food
Food High in Sugar
Gassy vegetables - cabbage, brussells, etc
Red Meat?

If anybody else has any tips on what I should try for my first meal in two weeks so as to not upset my stomach again I would really appreciate it? I was thinking a plain wholewheat pasta dish? Or homemade turkey burgers? And just keeping the amount I eat to a real minimum.

Many thanks :)

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    How horrible for you. When I was recovering from gastroenteritis, my doctor recommended plain boiled rice and chicken breast, and avoiding fruit and veg at first. I used to cook the rice with a chicken stock cube for flavour and to replace lost salt. You're probably best steering clear of wheat, dairy and high-fibre choices at first.
  • Thank you BerryH, chicken and rice sounds like a good idea actually! Are vegetables best avoided then? See I feel like I need to eat loads to get some nutirents in me again but probably best avoid if they could upset my stomach again! Fruit I couldn't bear because of the acid anyway. Do you think white or brown rice would be best?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I'd skip veg and brown grains as the fibre might go right through you. Try ripe bananas. Dry toast is a classic. Here are a few more ideas:
    http://www.healthcenter.vt.edu/pdf/upsetstomach.pdf
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I was going to suggest chicken and rice as well.