I can't seem to lose weight!

Options
I am new here and am becoming very discouraged. For the past almost 2 months, I have been working out at a minimum, 4 days a week, eating healthy (And by healthy I mean baked chicken with very little season, subway from time to time, fruits, no pepsi, LOTS of water, Special K bars for when I want something sweet, frozen smart ones meals and lean cuisine) and I cannot lose this weight! I am actually tearing up just typing this. I even tried to take QuickTrim and that didn't work. Can anyone post any suggestions?? I usually do 45 minutes of cardio3 days a week, whether it be to run, do the stair stepper, elliptical, etc, and I do weights with my friend usually for my legs and arms and stomach. I have measured myself and I am not even losing inches. I only need to lose maybe 20lbs, I am 5'4" and wear a size 11, and I want to be back down to a size 7-9...enough rambling...anyone who has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Replies

• rhondagraymond
    Options
    First of all, don’t lose hope. I know it’s easy to get discouraged, but if you do, it won’t help you lose this weight. I’m going to give you my own example. I had about 24 pounds to lose last August. My mom’s friend (who’d lost 43 pounds) told me about Dukan diet’s weight loss coaching (http://www.dukandiet.com/Dukan-Coaching). She said that it might seem difficult at the start but it will only get easier. I’m not going to lie and say I didn’t have days when I thought I couldn’t do it. But I stuck to it and I lost 26 pounds in a matter of 12 weeks! I’ve kept the weight off, in case you were wondering. You see, once you get the weight moving, that’s all you need to stay inspired. So I’m going to ask you to NOT lose faith and keep at it. Believe it.
  • georgeaj2000
    georgeaj2000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tracking everything you eat and making sure that you wegih your food so that you are accurate is essential. It's surprising how much food we eat that gets forgotten and its those hidden calories that ca jeopardise your weight loss efforts. You say that you're eating healthily but don't forget too much healthy food can also result in a weight gain. Keeping track of your calories by using the fitnesspal app really does work. Good Luck.
  • brookhood
    brookhood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Sounds like our bodies are about the same...I'm 5 4 and looking to lose about 25 to 30 lbs, I too just want to get back into my 6/8...Not looking to be a size 0 LOL!!!!...I've slashed calories...I walk a couple days a week....maybe it just takes time!!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Cant see your diary. Height? Current weight? Current calorie goal? Can you give more info?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    The lean cuisines and smart ones may be holding you back. They're packed with sodium, which is definately going to make you retain all the water you consume when working out. I know they rock for the convenience factor, but fresh food is so much better, and you can eat so much more of it!

I encountered a very similiar problem when I first started losing weight two years ago, but once I cut out alot of the processed "healthy" foods, I started dropping like crazy.

Like a previous poster said, don't let this make you give up! I know it can be extrememly discouraging, but it will all be worth it once you hit your goal!

P.S. It's ALWAYS harder to lose just 20 lbs, as opposed to 50+. I've been dealin wth my last 20 lbs for the last year and a half. They're a b!tch!
  • lorigreg
    lorigreg Posts: 61
    Options
    Are you tracking your food intake and your exercises in mfp?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Seconding the "open your diary" thing. It could be that you are eating too few calories, if you can believe that. You might also be underestimating how much you are eating or overestimating your exercise.

Lastly, you may want to consider bringing this up with your doctor as it could be a sign of hypothyroidism, which is easy to diagnose and not that difficult to treat. There are also some other medical conditions (diabetes, PCOS) that require low-carbohydrate diets in order to lose weight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Tracking everything you eat and making sure that you wegih your food so that you are accurate is essential. It's surprising how much food we eat that gets forgotten and its those hidden calories that ca jeopardise your weight loss efforts. You say that you're eating healthily but don't forget too much healthy food can also result in a weight gain. Keeping track of your calories by using the fitnesspal app really does work. Good Luck.

I so agree.

Also, I know you say you are eating healthy - and I'm sure you're eating healthiER, which is great. But other than the chicken, those are quite processed, high salt/white flour processed foods. And expensive!

Enjoy that spice, eat lots of veggies, and move towards whole grains. And yes, an occasional Subway won't hurt you. But hidden calories can get you over your target every day.

You're close to your goal weight and that is harder. Don't give up and DON'T do the supplements! You want a healthy lifestyle not a diet. You can do it.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Check on the ingredients of the Special K bars, low calorie doesn't always mean good for you. If I remember corrctly, there is HIGH FRUCTOSE corn syrup and other ingredients I couldn't pronounce. That could also be stalling you up. (along with the high sodium in the frozen meals)I started reading labels and doing cardio along with weight training. I am getting dfiinition, and slowly dropping weight (about .5 lbs per week), and I feel stronger and so much better. I did have some ice cream last night, but that was the first time in about 6 months, so don't give up the occasional treat, but stay as true as you can, and the process should work in time :). It took a long time for me to wrap my brain around it, but I was patient and it is all coming together now.
  • natzkj
    natzkj Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i am exactly the same
    started at 154lb, lost 3lb, put 1lb back on and now that is where it has stayed. my Aim is 126.
    I work out 4-5times a week for an hour or more in the gym or fitness class and also do 10-20min walks & 10 min pilates on the days i am not at the gym. An i cant shift it either!
    i do admit im not perfect everyday when i eat but i always make up for it
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Stay away from smart ones and lean cuisine. They are packed with sodium that you don't need. Make fresh meals and eat leftovers! Also, some people may hate me for saying this, but also avoid skinny cow! :)
  • gingerlynnlove
    gingerlynnlove Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this same thing just last night and finally decided I won't ever loose. I should be happy that I am able to maintain. It's so discouraging. I've tried for years to loose weight and still weigh the same that I always have.

I do always settle for the quick so called healthy meals for lunch, but I was under the assumption thats better than not eating. Guess it's just figuring out what your body needs... I am no help but would love to see others suggestions.
  • Jennifermarkum
    Jennifermarkum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are on Facebook look up Natalie Jill Fitness, I have been following her program and it works! Basically eat like a caveman! Eat fruits, veggies and lean meats! You should be eating a CLEAN food diet, not all the processed junk, saturated fats, high fructose syrup and all that added junk!

I prepare my meals 2 days at a time, I pack my lunch for work. I have eaten lean cuisines when I am in a crunch but pick the ones that are cleaner, your basic chicken and veggies. The Natalie Jill program changed me and it is easy and it works:) Hope this helps! Oh, you should be get some cardio in everyday!
  • Jennifermarkum
    Jennifermarkum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also, 85% of your weight loss is what you eat and the other 15% is excercise....
  • JenniferEdwardz
    JenniferEdwardz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can say to stay eat more fresh foods because the sodium is killing you. Increase your water and really keep up with that because it curbs your hunger. I would also suggest switching your cardio. After 2 weeks of one cardio workout your body is not challenged and doesnt burn. If you walk on a treadmill, increase the incline and walk faster, or jog or walk on it backwards. If you dont spin start! Its a great class to burn calories and really challenge yourself! And most important is to strength train. Muscle burns more than fat, so the more muscle you add the more you burn just sitting in your chair. When you lift weights after your work out you burn addition calories, the afterburn effect. So try adding more weights and switch up the cardio. Add another 15 minutes to make it an hour of cardio. Good luck!!!!!! You can do this
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the don't give up!

This might be a bit TMI but have you noticed any problems with your cycle (like missing 2,3, or even 4 months)? Can you visit a Doctor or a Gyno/OBGYN? I was in the same boat were I was eating Jenny Craig for 3 months and exercising 4 times a week and was seeing myself yo-yo between 216 and 220. I went to have my thyroid checked and my GYno suggested PCOS (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/). AA quick Ultrasound, blood test and sugar test confirmed that I do have PCOS and its basically messing with my Sugar intake as well.

I'm on treatment for it now (Yaz and Methformin) and now after about a month I've broekn my 216 wall. I was 214 a few days ago and 215 today. I still have little fluctuations with my weight but I haven't gone back to 220 since I really started to focus on it again.

So, if you can, see if you can get to a doctor and see if they can check you out.

Otherwise good luck. I know how hard it is to keep positive when you work really hard for months and see no results. I started trying to lose weight in Dec 2011 and only this week have I started to see real results.