HRM with strength training

How many of you use HRM when doing strength training? How many don't. I'm curious if I need to start wearing mine or not, I've heard it doesn't truly get an accurate read. What does everyone thing. P.S. I just recently started strength training.

Replies

• richx
    richx Posts: 13
    Use mine all the time ... especially with kettlebell training. I use a Suunto which I have checked and rechecked with other equipment - and it appears to be the most accurate of the ones I own for strength & stationary cardio. Garmin for running and biking.
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Thank you!!
  • hteapot
    hteapot Posts: 29 Member
    I wear mine, but I do go to Strength Training classes so they are at a continuous faster pace than doing strength training by yourself.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    HRM's are not accurate for strength training... lifting does not use the cardio energy system. it uses the lactic acid and atp-cp energy systems. both of which do not use oxygen to make energy. and oxygen being the basis of a HRM's calorie burn estimation.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    I wear mine, but I do go to Strength Training classes so they are at a continuous faster pace than doing strength training by yourself.
    thats not strength training then. those classes are cardio.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    HRM's are not accurate for strength training... lifting does not use the cardio energy system. it uses the lactic acid and atp-cp energy systems. both of which do not use oxygen to make energy. and oxygen being the basis of a HRM's calorie burn estimation.

tumblr_m7onfd7sfz1r4j812.gif