Suddenly feeling lethargic, especially during runs

Options
Hello,

I know any answer I will get is just speculation, but why not ask? I did my first ever 20 minute run last week as the end of week 5 of couch to 5k. I felt great, I was starting to feel like this 5k run would be very doable. I have also started taking spin classes, I have really changed a lot in the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Fast forward to Monday and I had a terrible run. it was 5 min run, 3 minwalk, 8 min run,3 min walk, 5 min run. I expected to kill this as I ran for 20 straight on Friday with no walking. Anyway, I never stopped but I felt tired. I thought oh well, one bad run. But, then I felt out of sorts all day, and then again on Tuesday. I struggled with my run this morning too, 10 min run, 3 min walk, 10 min run.

Ok, so I went through my food diary, I thought of all contributing factors that could have suddenly made me feel off my game and only came up with one thing that I have changed, water. I have suddenly been drinking way less water than I was. I forgot my water bottle at home two days in a row etc. It seems unlikely that just drinking less water would create this feeling of lethargy but I am new to the fitness game so I thought I would ask all of you. Possible? Likely something else?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Replies

• hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Well, that or you may need to increase your calories. Since you are new to fitness, maybe your body just needs a rest day. Just speculating, but all things I have experienced. Good luck!
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Not drinking enough water makes me very lethargic. Drink up!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i would keep the water drinking up!! i find whenever im getting tired when working out, drinking water refreshes me. also stretching helps. that may be jsus me though.
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well simply put, hydrating your body during a run is important, without water, your body will dehydrate which affects a whole bunch of things in your body, which could be part of it.

You do not have an open diary so ill assume that you are eating a deficit, depending on your food intake, calories during the day, whether or not you ate before the run could all affect it.

I have run 2 half marathons, and found that you should always eat before you run, It has been proven that eating before you run will provide your body the needed energy to complete a good and healthy run.

Try a peanut butter sandwich before, lots of calories and good fats, the bread will provide needed carbs. Glass of chocolate milk after a run to promote muscle healing.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think you might be right on target! Keeping hydrated is vital! Give your self a rest day and drink,drink,drink all day long. See how you feel then on your next run.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me during Week 4. I ended up just taking a break (last week) and walking for an hour instead. I plan to start back this week.

As for why. For me, it might be my food intake. I haven't "went crazy" but I have had more sweets in July that I had in other months. Free ice cream! Lol. I'm hopping that giving myself a break (and not having anymore free ice cream at work) will help me get back on track.

Congrats on your 20 minute run!!!!!!!!!!
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Hi! I'm really no expert, but I have also noticed that I feel lethargic during running (or any exercise really), if my intake of water has been low for the day. Also, do you run on an empty tank, or do you have a meal 3 -4 hours before, or a light snack 1 -2 hours before a run? If I'm low on water AND calories, I'm basically a walking cinder block. Listen to your body, up your water intake, and do what is best for you!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You probably dont know what you are doing and are under eating like a champ.

Cutting cals causes stress.
    Working out causes stress.
    Stress causes cortisol.
    Too much cortisol and youll feel like ****.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Absolutely dehydration can affect performance. Think of it as your fuel pump in your car. It doesn't do any good to put gas in your car if you can't get it to the engine. If it is hot and humid where you are, you can lose water FAST. I have dropped 2+ pounds during a 30 minute run. The first thing I do every morning (regardless of if I am running) is down a large glass of water. It gets me going. You may also want to drink some gatorade prior to your run. It helps to replenish essential minerals that you lose when you sweat.
  • kay283
    kay283 Posts: 1
    Options
    Your body may need a rest. Take a week to change it up with some walking and hit the track again next week. Also, I know some new upbeat music always perks me up when I'm having a bad work out day. And like the others said, water is important- so drink up and see if it changes anything :} good luck!
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the C25K as well. I find if I don't eat healthy (not enough fruit and veggies etc) that I drag my butt. I always drink tons of water, but I am sure that lack of water could be a contributing factor.

Good luck!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    I'll echo another reader's implication: are you taking rest days? Your body needs time to heal up for the next big push. C25K encourages working out only every other day. If you haven't been taking them, give it a try for a little while.

I also think you're probably right about the water. It's amazing what symptoms can be relieved just by drinking more water...
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    Options
    Staying hydrated certainly helps. Also realize though that you exerted a lot of effort on your 20 minute run that your muscles just may be tired. Yesterday I had my best run ever beating 10mins per mile. I ran today and was pumped to try and beat it but I ran out of gas halfway through. My body was just plain tired. I felt hydrated but I feel my body needed some rest after being pushed to the brink yesterday. I bet if you take a day or two to recoup, you will crush it again. Maybe just walk, or ride a stationary bike, something less taxing on the muscles and joints and see how it goes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    pretty much what every one says here is true. you might need more water before your run, or more food through out the day, more rest in between exercises.

also, are you doing strength training? cardio has a way of breaking down the muscles a bit. if you do strength training, you'll build up the muscles so you aren't as tired during the runs, and you'll be able to go longer and faster then normal.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do longer distance runs, have been a runner for 5 years now. Had a similar issue this fall, went to my doctor. We checked the following:
    - iron
    - B12
    - cortisol
    So that could be a place to start, especially since your fitness plan it new.
    In the end we couldn't find anything concrete with me, so she suggested adding a Vitamin D supplement and sent me to a nutritionist. The nutritionist aggreed with the vitamin D (even up to 2000mg daily) and had me work on my protein timing, eating ~10g post workout.
    Hope that gives you some ideas of where to start. Feel better!
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a noticeable difference in running when i don't drink enough water. On days when I run in the mornings, its MUCH harder to push through than when I run in the evenings after consuming 64 ounces of water earlier on in the day.

I also would make sure you have a rest day. Add to it--a big part of running is mental. Make sure you aren't thinking of it as a chore or you also tire out faster :)

also on c25k interval running, try to keep a steady pace. I found myself speeding up on the shorter runs and tiring out faster than my long runs.
  • magnibea
    Options
    Drinking lots of water will really help. Grab a fruit before you start the run. At the end of it, It helps to drink a healthy protein shake.
    At the end of some of my workout, I felt really sick and very lethargic, and almost couldn't do anything except sleep. My trainer mentioned that I should drink water before, and during the workout. Then finish with a healthy protein shake. This helped me tremendously.
  • rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If water doesn't help, get tested for lyme disease, that's what I have and whenever I exercise I feel soooo depressed and worn out, even if I don't break much of a sweat.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Dehydration, Under eating and generally doing too much CV work can wipe you out - especially if its a hot day. Make sure you have rest days, eat something before you run (I normally have about 200 calories 2 hrs before training) and if its hot take fluid with you. On long runs (over 8 miles) I normally consume 100 calories for every additional 3.5 miles - either as gels or as sports drink. You might also try having a recovery shake after you get back

By the way - a rest day doesn't necessarily mean a do-nothing day - you might want to do some weights, swimming or cycling instead of your run.

(Edit) - PS - its normal to have off days - lots of things affect us - heat, tiredness, having some minor bug or hay fever - some weeks I can run 12 miles at an 8 minute mile and get on with my day like nothing happened - last weekend I averaged 8:40 and was exhausted- but I had raced a 5K mid week and it was really hot out. Don't worry about it - its normal!
  • murdock8272
    Options
    Update. It was either an off day or lack of hydration. I think it was hydration. I drank a lot of water and today I did Week 6 day 3, a 25 minute run and I felt great the whole time.

Thank you to everyone for the advice.