New-ish, excited! need a bit of help...

Options
Hello,
My name is Amanda, I joined this site about 2 weeks due to my sister an neice recommending it so highly. I did Weight Watchers an had there app to track my food/excersize which worked great lost 30lbs. Left w.w. due to paying 49 a month to use an app an getting weighed. (I couldnt keeping paying that kind of money for a program such as that.) So I ended up gaining all the weight back and more(due to quitting smoking after 12 years) I found every way in the book to justify not eating right or working out. Finally about 2 weeks ago I had enough. I am supposed to be getting married March 2 2013 an I refuse to be a fat bride. So I joined LA Fitness, an my sister recommended this app (which BTW I love!!) Now to my current problem. I work out atleast 5-6 times a week now an am eating around 1100 calories-ish a day. When I work out it is mainly cardio an I'm having kinda a hard time breaking into free weights for upper body an such, I need help! I wanna make the top half as in shape as the bottom half is becoming.. Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Amanda

Replies

• dsuppa1997
    Options
    Welcome to the site and gl. First off 1100 caloies is WAY too low. When you put your profile in here it should give you a more approriatte calorie level to shoot for. Also make sure you log your excercise and eat back your calories. As far as lifting goes, look into circuit training to mix in with your cardio. Something like this.

Day 1 - Upper Body(Arms Chest) circuit
    Day 2 - Cardio
    Day 3 - Lower Body Circuit
    Day 4 - Off
    Day 5 - Cardio
    Day 6 - Upper Body(Back and Shoulders) circuit

Day 7 - Off

or if you want to focus on muscle building, isolate muscle groups by day

Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
    Day 2 - Cardio
    Day 3 - Legs, Abs and Core
    Day 4 - Off
    Day 5 - Back and Biceps
    Day 6 - Cardio, Abs
    Day 7 - Off

or once again if youd like to do more Cardio (more fat burn less muscle build)

Day 1 - Cardio
    Day 2 - Whole Upper Body Circuit
    Day 3- Cardio/Abs
    Day 4- Off
    Day 5 - Lower Body Circuit
    Day 6 - Cardio
    Day 7 - Core

hope that helps a bit.

You have to find what works right for you, some people do better with more lifting and less cardio, some the other way. Just have to experiment and see what works for you.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can add me to check out my diary, it may be useful for you.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like for motivation and support :)
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Would definitely love to be along for the journey. Feel free to add me
  • steffanyjames
    steffanyjames Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I agree that 1100 calories is too low. Def amp it up a bit and eat to your calorie goal.

I went heavy on the cardio when I started and still do, as I spin twice a week... but I have found that yoga once a week has helped my upper body stay toned. Sometimes I get bored of the weights and I have found yoga to be a great all-encompasing exercise for me that constantly keeps me challenged.

Good luck!
  • katmont
    katmont Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can add me to.........I like to mix my exercise up a lot to keep my body guessing.
  • abannon123
    abannon123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know they say to eat 1200 calories but I dont think when working out you should eat your calories back.. I'm not starving myself, not usually hungry... Is it that bad that I don't eat it? I eat after I work out I just do Clean eating plus the concept of the zone, so not even just great quality food but portion control..?

26407417.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • chay69424
    Options
    You know, last week when I said in one of the forurms that my daily caloric intake was 1200, and I burn 1000-1200 calories a day, but i consume between 1400-1500 calories a day, i got burnt at the stake :( I simply just don't eat my calories back after I do my cardio exercises.... I'm usually hungry and I eat all the time because I know i workout all the time. This way I know I'm going to drop the weight.

I do a lot of machines for my uppe body, mainly the seated cable row (for my back and arms), assisted pull ups and dips, wide grip lat pulldowns, shoulder press and cable pulley. I work on them almost everyday before I do my spinning and stairmaster. You'll get fast results in as little as 3 months, seeiing definition in your arms... mine took about 4 months (from my profile picture)
  • steffanyjames
    steffanyjames Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Good call. I need to do more upper body weights and rowing after I spin. I need to get back to that.. thanks for sharing your exercises - I'm going to give 'em a try :)
  • abannon123
    abannon123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of incorperating my weighted boxing gloves into my spin class routine! Not sure if it would be to much.... hmm I'm going to give it a try an report back :)
  • chay69424
    Options
    it probably won't do you any good not unless y'all lift weights while spinning... you work core, back, legs and triceps (from hovering) so wearing weighted gloves won't help ...