Why do we loose motivation?

Options
I always wondered that we know we need to become healthy and we work on changing our lives but something triggers the old habits. For me when this happens i fall off and its so hard to get determined again, I always wondered why we can loose motivation so quickly.. What do you guys do to get your motivation back or keep it going ?

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that whatever has worked loses its flavor. Like, I become so used to that method of motivation that it just doesn't hold the same weight anymore and I have to seek something else. Sadly, I'm a very externally motivated individual and I know to reach my goals at their fullest, it needs to come from the internal.

Got to believe we're worth it, I guess.
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    I was asking my daughter that the other day. She and I started this "life change" last year and we were doing great even through the winter months when I usually want to sit on the couch and eat but it didn't happen until this Summer? IDK why, we just lost steam. So it's been a struggle to get back on track, which for the most part, we have. It's just not as fun as it was in the beginning.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    When you find that answer, let me know.

I've pondered for too long and have not the strength to ponder any longer.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I like to blame the voices...
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I lose motivation once I get bored. I may keep the same goal, but I'll find a different method (that doesn't work).

I keep up with MFP because its a habit now.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm in that same boat. For a year I was so motivated, never missing a beat and over the last several months I've lost steam. I've gained some weight back and wonder why am I doing this to myself. I reset my weight on my tracker to my true weight (hard to do!) and that triggered something because I've been pretty good for the last few weeks. For me life gets in the way, one or more situations happen that throw me for a loop and disrupt my schedule and then I start to fall into my old routines. Most of us are human and this happens-got to just get back up and keep trying! If anyone has the magic answer let me know!!!!
  • wendye1960
    wendye1960 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's a great question. I would say it's probably because to give in is the 'course of least resistance' or in other words it's easier. Getting me back onto it again can vary I have yoyoed over the years it has varied I suppose it has to be something would really want. For example a big kick in the butt for me was certainty about my job and the prospect of having to go out into the job market again in a market that's in recession. I have enough to contend with being over 50 without being overlooked because of my weight. Other then that I couldn't really say.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    When I lose motivation, I look at myself in the mirror. I HATE looking at my fat, and I hate having it there, so it gives me the motivation to lose again. Another way that helps is I put on something that makes me look fat, then look at myself in the mirror, that helps a lot too. I guess the motivation that I use I just have to remember how much I hate having the fat on me, and how awful I think it looks. Plus, I want to look sexy for my fiance, and I don't feel like I am when I have this much fat on me. (He doesn't care, he'd still love me even if I decided to quit right now!) I keep remembering these things.

The times when I tried 1200 calories a day, it didn't work. I never allowed myself anything unhealthy, and EVERY single time, I fell of the wagon. Since I've changed it to 1390 and more if I exercise, I allow myself treats once in awhile, and It's been really easy to stick to it.
  • pjellingboe
    pjellingboe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think I lose motivation because I want to see results NOW. I feel so good when I exercise and changing my lifestyle eating habbits but then I wish I could see results sooner then the actual time frame it should take. I know it takes time and I have to keep telling myself that but its still hard.
  • judybegood
    judybegood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know I have trouble with this I think it's a lot like other things in are life we get bored. I try to spice it up by getting a new dvd or exercise game. Don't forget your friends too when they motivate us we are more incline to keep up the good work.
  • cjbennett2012
    cjbennett2012 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Keep posting on here, chatting to new people, doing different exercises & trying new (healthy) recipes, that way most of your days will be so different to the other you don't get stuck in a routine and then get bored and quit. It's what I've started to do as I found myself getting so bored eating the same types of food and the same training, feel a lot more positive.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I always wondered that we know we need to become healthy and we work on changing our lives but something triggers the old habits. For me when this happens i fall off and its so hard to get determined again, I always wondered why we can loose motivation so quickly.. What do you guys do to get your motivation back or keep it going ?

Is it because you dont understand physiology and dieting and go about it wrong?

The only time I lost motivation was when I learned that weight loss isnt linear.
  • metallicaspirit81
    metallicaspirit81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for or not but I do remember them saying something on The Biggest Loser that makes a lot of sense to me. Basically for a lot of people that struggle with weight issues, it's something that is programmed in our brains. We have become so used to eating whatever we want and/or not adding exercise into our daily lives and for a lot of us it's been this way for years. Now we are trying to change those habits but we have to basically reprogram our brain. They said that it will take a while to reprogram your brain to what is healthy and to get those bad habits out of your brain. Hope that makes a little sense. lol I also think as humans we need changes in our lives. After a while, eating the same food and doing the same exercises are going to get boring and we just aren't going to want to do it anymore. Maybe try shaking things up a bit. Try eating new things or try adding different exercises to your workout. I also think that we want results right away and that's not always the case. I have 150 lbs to lose and as much as I would love to wake up and have it gone I know that won't happen lol. It's gonna take me probably a few years to get it off and my whole life to keep it that way. I hope this helps a bit.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I think I lose motivation because I want to see results NOW. I feel so good when I exercise and changing my lifestyle eating habbits but then I wish I could see results sooner then the actual time frame it should take. I know it takes time and I have to keep telling myself that but its still hard.

^^ This is why I lose motivation for sure... I want to see results for all my hard work and when they don't come I get bummed.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Once you lose motivation, I think that is where discipline comes in. This is the longest I have stayed at a weight loss program and really I keep telling myself that it is a lifestyle change. I am not motivated to workout and eat right everyday, but IF this is a lifestyle change I must be disciplined.

I went on a little vacation for a few days recently, did not workout while I was away and ate a lot. When I returned home I was sick and did not feel like getting off my lazy bum and eating right or exercising. That is where I tell myself, "you can take care of your body today or be stuck in bed later in life." Each day is a choice for me, I take that back, each meal/snack is a choice for me. I can do what I need to do for my health or I can get all of the health problems that plague my family. I want to be like the grandmother of a childhood friend of mine, Granny Go Go was still bowling at age 80. She live alone and was able to do pretty much what she wanted to do. I want to be a Granny Go Go.

Wait! I think I just found my new motivation. Now I must go and find a picture of Granny Go Go from my childhood.
  • asteelman4
    asteelman4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! Love to read all the responses and support on here, makes me realize i am not alone ! ( :