Knee Injury

Options
I have a knee injury... I know I know "see a doctor". Well sometimes life just dosnt make that financially possible!
So I am asking for a little advice from my co-horts at MyFitness.

I do not know how it go hurt. I just realized it was hurting and it kept getting worse over the last couple of months.
If I walk over 100 yards It becomes unbearable. I cannot get up or down from the floor and walking up and down stairs is a challenge. I tried hot packs and a knee brace (just one day though) which really didn't help any. In the last couple of days I have started doing some very basic knee strengthening exercises, which seem to be helping. Oh.. I cannot take Advil or Alieve, they work just the opposite on me and cause swelling instead of reducing it.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Replies

• clbabonas
    clbabonas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tore an ACL a few years back and lived with it for close to 9 months before I had surgery. It was extremely difficult and painful. My doctor had me doing physical therapy to strengthen all of the muscles surrounding the knee. It helped my stability immensely. I would suggest stretching every muscle in your leg slowly and easily for a half hour a day and then ice EVERY time. Icing and elevation will help at night and as much as a knee brace is cumbersome it does help. For pain medications you might be better off with a natural remedy. I have heard garlic pills help joint health. Best of luck.
  • missallenxox
    missallenxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    do you have an old injury? I would say wear a brace, or even a wrap bandage half the day. the slight pressure may help. if its swollen maybe ice it no more than 15 minutes at a time but if its been a while it may be too late for that. is it hot to touch? i would avoid any squat movements, or go easy on the stairs, i would probably want to bend it less.walking short distances would probably be good for it. just no running or high impact. if you cant take advil can you take tylenol?