Questions about jogging

Options
Hi my name is Anthony and recently I started Jogging. I usually hate jogging but have been doing it 6 days a week. Im noticing that my leg muscles are getting stronger and tighter if that makes any sense in only a week or two is this normal? In High School I would take PE but never feel my legs getting stronger or notice packing on leg muscle. Would love any thoughts you guys have I just thought it was cool/interesting. Thanks :)

Replies

• arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting to jog! Yes, this is normal. With running you can get in shape fairly quickly if you keep it up. In PE is probably wasn't enough running to make a difference.
  • betty001
    betty001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great job on your jogging. I use to jog and entered into a few 1/2 marathons. This was the best way for me to exercise. Keep it up you will see the difference in your body.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of running! I love running! I genetically carry a good amount of fat in my lower legs and calf area. Running was the ONLY thing that slimed down my legs and formed some needed muscle. My results are from running around 3 to 4 miles at a time a couple of times per week.
  • ekaplan1020
    Options
    I also started jogging a few weeks ago using the Couch to 5K. I have never been a runner and thought it would be a great way to get my exercise. I have been noticing that I haven't been losing weight even though I am having a calorie deficit of about 500 calories each day and eating back my exercise calories. Is it possible I am not seeing the results on the scale due to building muscle from jogging, or is it most likely something else?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    yes it's normal. Weird I noticed the same thing. I was in track in high school but I didn't notice physical differences. Keep going! Feels great every time I finish.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also started jogging a few weeks ago using the Couch to 5K. I have never been a runner and thought it would be a great way to get my exercise. I have been noticing that I haven't been losing weight even though I am having a calorie deficit of about 500 calories each day and eating back my exercise calories. Is it possible I am not seeing the results on the scale due to building muscle from jogging, or is it most likely something else?

Since you just started jogging, your body might be adjusting. I would make sure to log my food intake down. I noticed from myself and being with other runners that there are two main types. Either one eats way too much because they get hungrier or the running curbs their appetite. I fall into that running curbs my appetite category. But for many others, running uses so much energy that your body wants to compensate with more fuel.
    I would wait a month or so and see how your progress is going. Running will get you in shape, but you might not see that scale drop. It happened to me too.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about muscle strengthening/growth... what you are able to "see" is actually muscle inflammation and swelling, and not actual muscle growth (YET). It takes the body a few weeks at the minimum for actual muscle gains. I'm not trying to say that what you are experiencing is BAD, because its NOT. I just wanted you to know so that when all of the inflammation goes down you won't be disappointed. If you keep it up eventually what you are seeing is true growth.

I just recently got into weight training and I was told to expect this as well. It proved true for me. The first couple weeks I noticed a difference, but after a few weeks I noticed that my muscle bump didn't go away.

Great job on the jogging! Keep it up!