High protein/Low carbs

Options
wantmylifeback70
wantmylifeback70 Posts: 18 Member
I really need some ideas!! As much protein as I can get in a serving.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Meat and fish are your best bets! Closely followed by eggs, and particualrly egg whites.
  • reneeeeeh
    Options
    Tuna in spring water and plain Greek yogurt!!
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Beef, poultry, fish, and lots of veggies. I've been doing high protein/low carb now for about a month and it melts off.
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I love my Cytosport Beverage Company - Muscle Milk Light Chocolate Nutritional Shake
    or the OhYeah! brand is delicious too!

These are the best tasting protein drinks I found, and still low in carbs
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love fish for this. I paticularly eat lots of salmon (but be careful it is a fatty fish) and tilapia (a lighter white fish lower in fat). If you don't like fish then very lean cuts of beef are usually packed with protein and low on carbs, and fat.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt.
    Cottage Cheese.
    Egg whites.
    Any lean meat.
    Protein powders.
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Chicken & Veggies....LOTS OF CHICKEN for me!! :drinker:
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bump for later, always need more protein!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    To answer this question in completion: I HIGHLY recommend checking out the GI Diet book. Just go to a bookstore or order it. It's like $10 (not too expensive)

It gives you a complete list of great sources of protein and carbs. You don't HAVE to go low carb, you just have to find the RIGHT carbs. I was on this for a month and dropped from 206-198. (I slid off it from stress and vacation, but I am getting back on it today). And I was also learning to just look at my plate & measure out servings vs having to calorie count to lose weight.
  • loridianehood
    Options
    completely agree!!!
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Google "Linda's Low Carb recipes" - her site is FULL of great low carb recipe ideas. Most are meat based so you'll get a good amount of protein in each recipe.
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts
    Plain Greek yogurt
    Cheese (cottage/string)
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Turkey
    +veggies

This is the majority of my diet :)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    check out my diary, I eat higher calorie amounts but I try to limit my carbs and have a ton of protein. Make sure you take in healthy fats though, otherwise you'll be craving and starving all day.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes help. Here is the one I use:
    optimumnutrition.com
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    why so much protein?
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you're aim is lowest calories, highest protein then I would stick with meat/fish and shakes for the most part (though you need others for variety of course!) Chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish, buffalo, beef, pork.... roughly they are all between 100-200 calories per 4oz and roughly 20-26 grams of protein. Of course it depends on the cut/fat percent/quality, etc. These are my go to's. I have some of one of these every day.

My second go-to's are dairy products. Cottage cheese, regular cheese, greek yogurt (plain, flavor myself to control # of carbs), milk (be careful bc this does have carbs, you just have to limit amount). These are higher in the calories/protein ratio, but really great for snacks since most are either no carb or very low carb.

My third go to is a protein shake. There are many you can get that are high protein and low carb.

A lot of people scream eggs when it comes to protein. Yes, they are a great source of nutrition AND protein and I eat them on a regular basis. But if you are looking for high numbers of protein this isn't where you are going to get it. A large egg has about 7 protein, but that one egg is about 100 calories by itself. Again, nothing wrong with eggs, but you asked for high number protein foods.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    if you are a coffee drinker... i mix chocolate protein powder in mine instad of any sort of creamer :) Just make sure it's not TOO hot or it sort of curdles... but if it's a regular temp, just mix it well :) 26 grams of protein a scoop! Also it works well in plain greek yogurt, smoothies, in baking, etc etc...

Last night after my workout for a late dinner I had a scoop of chocolate protein powder, a constainer of plain greek yogurt, and a tbsp of plain unsalted pepitas ( pumpkin seeds, already shelled), 1/2 Tbsp of special dark chocolate chips and a splash of sugar free caramel syrup. Was 298 cals, 20 carb, 8 fat, 3 fiber, and 43 protein! You could cut a bit of the fat/carbs and cals without the chocolate chips/pepitas. I still had them in my macros :)
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Fish
    Poultry
    Eggs (or just whites)
    Pork
    Soft cheeses
    Cottage cheese

Other things that help:

Substitute quinoa for rice
    Wild rice if you must have rice
    Vegetable-based pasta
    Tempeh
    Substitute sprouted grain bread for all others
    Chick-pea flour
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Chicken/turkey and fish are your best bets! The trick to not getting bored is to find some good healthy recipes for variety. There are lots of healthy-eating websites out there to help with that. Also, don't be afraid of tofu, even if you're a carnivor. It takes on the taste of whatever you cook it with, and there are lots of recipes out there for that, as well.

And for all you egg white enthusiasts - all the protein is in the yolk. Just eat the egg. ;)