BREAKFAST HELP! DESPERATE!

Options
So I work in nursing in a hospital. I eat breakfast at 6:15am, but don't get to eat lunch until 12:30 or 1:00pm!! WHAT DO I EAT FOR BREAKFAST/SNACK?! I eat oatmeal and am starving by 9am!

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Take some fruits, nuts, cheese, crackers, a protein bar, something that can be eaten on the go?
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're eating oatmeal, that's carbs only. You need protein. Your body has a hard time processing carbs all by themselves - it goes through them quick. You should always have a protein with your carbs. Add in some cottage cheese, string cheese, a hard boiled egg, something with protein to help keep you full longer.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Fruit is usually my mid morning snack along with 16 ounces of water and that holds me to lunch. I eat my breakfast at 6 am so by 10:30 I'm ready for something
  • luvinlife2012
    luvinlife2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A protein bar on the run between meals will take the edge off.....look for those that have 20g protein....you won't be hungry for a while.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Add in some protein. I have toast with peanut butter and fruit. Maybe an egg in there as well. That protein combined with the fiber will help you stay fuller longer. Also, bringing fruit and drinking water throughout the day will help as well. I find that continually drinking water helps me stay fuller as well. Good luck!!!
  • frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I need protein and fat with my breakfast to stay satisfied. My current breakfast faves are an Amy's apple Gouda chicken sausage wrapped in a whole grain tortilla (270 cal) or cooked bulgar wheat with 2tbsp nutella stirred in (340 cal). The first is an easy on the go meal and the second is great for the days when I want something sweet.
    If you want to stick with oatmeal, try adding nuts and Greek yogurt, or plan on a mid-morning snack. I like almonds, because they are easy to carry around. Hard boiled eggs are also good if you have access to a fridge.
  • mjs101102
    mjs101102 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've learned through trial & error that despite everything I've always heard, oatmeal does NOT keep me full.

MY *perfect* breakfast is eggs (1-2) either scrambled or overhard, w/ 1-2 slices center cut bacon (preferably nitrate free), 1/2 an avocado and a grapefruit. That's just what works best for me. If I have that for breakfast (usually around 6:30am before work on the days when I DON'T get up early to workout), I'm good til around noon or 1 before I start feeling hungry.

I usually still have a small snack, though, around 9 or 10 just to keep the metabolism rev'ing (walnuts & blueberries, etc.)...and always drink plenty of water. I agree with samblanken...definitely add some protein and see if that helps (and try to keep your sugar intake low). I always find that if I have more sugar in the morning (for instance, a fruit smoothie), I tend to get the munchies much sooner and end up oversnacking. Again, that's just me. Good luck!
  • mjs101102
    mjs101102 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    If you're eating oatmeal, that's carbs only. You need protein. Your body has a hard time processing carbs all by themselves - it goes through them quick. You should always have a protein with your carbs. Add in some cottage cheese, string cheese, a hard boiled egg, something with protein to help keep you full longer.

No wonder I feel hungry after 2-3 hours when I eat oatmeal for breakfast.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've learned through trial & error that despite everything I've always heard, oatmeal does NOT keep me full.

MY *perfect* breakfast is eggs (1-2) either scrambled or overhard, w/ 1-2 slices center cut bacon (preferably nitrate free), 1/2 an avocado and a grapefruit. That's just what works best for me. If I have that for breakfast (usually around 6:30am before work on the days when I DON'T get up early to workout), I'm good til around noon or 1 before I start feeling hungry.

That's an awesome breakfast!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal just didn't cut it for me. I am now microwaving 1 cup of egg beaters with 1/3 cup of weight watchers mexican cheese - a total of 200 calories and 31 grams of protein. This sticks with me. Mid-morning I will usually eat 10-12 almonds and I'm good until lunch. Some people will argue about the amount of sodium in the egg beaters, but I rarely go over my sodium allowance and I drink a lot of water.
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY Greek yogurt!! It has tons of protein and you can put stuff in it (honey, berries, granola). It's the only way I made it from 7:30-12:30 on a daily basis. =) I also eat 2 eggs and a piece of toast every day, but it wasn't until I added the Greek yogurt that I noticed a difference. Supposedly Greek Yogurt helps weight loss too. =) EDIT: And make sure you get the plain stuff... it has more of the good stuff (the flavored versions have less proteins and more sugars). Be sure to add honey or something to it at first because it's an adjustment to your taste buds but you will get used to it. =)
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    girl you need protein! try two boiled eggs
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and cereal and such don't work for me. It doesn't keep me full. And I'm not a fan of eggs either.
    Try some protein. I usually eat a cheese stick, some black bean hummus on half a whole wheat pita (for a bit of carbs) and a turkey sausage. I also really like cottage cheese and yogurt with some fruit in it.
  • pinkmoonk
    pinkmoonk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A veggie omelet is always a quick easy breakfast. For snacks, I suggest sneaking a few fruit cups (mandarin orange, pears, or mixed fruit) that are sugar free and munching on them when you get a quick break. Cheese sticks, healthy Special K cereal/granola bars are good, or just a bag of fresh fruit/veggies. Good luck!
  • tammyr112
    Options
    I am glad I read this thread. So many great tips! I eat oatmeal for breakfast but will be adding some protein n see if it helps.