Hi everyone(starting at 5"5/220 lbs/21 yrs old)

Options
Yes that's correct, 21 and 220 lbs which is not where I want to be. I literally feel disgusting! I went to the mall this past Saturday and not even a size 17 fit me :sad:
I started gaining weight about age 17, I blame it on working at the mall where I CONSTANTLY ate fast food. Soon after I was diagnosed with PCOS. I don't get my period every month, I can go 3-4 months without it. I have cysts in my ovaries, I gain weight and just CANT seem to get it off and worst of all my chances of being infertile went up and if I am able to conceive my chances for a miscarrige are much higher than the average woman.
I want to lose weight so bad. I feel if I had the funds I would have BEEN on the surgery bed lol
I am so thankful that for the past 4 1/2 years I have had a wonderful man by my side who loves me no matter what I look like. He just wants me to be healthy. My family on the other hand...I have a 15 year old sister who constantly calls me fat, so does my 11 year old brother. I try not to let it get to me because I know they're just kids but sometimes it really just hurts.
Is this really me?
My grandmother CRIES when she see's me. It really pisses me off like really?? wow....
I know I need to do something about this FOR ME. To live better and healthier.
This is my first day on the Herbalife products and i'm doing 2 shakes, 1 meal. Everything is worth a try right?
I love reading success stories and meeting new people.
I could use as much support as possible and I will support all of you as well. Thank you so much for taking the time out to read my story.
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Kazenouta
    Options
    Welcome to the site and congratulations on taking steps forward to improve yourself. I hope that you'll find a lot of support and good tips here. Like you said it's important to do this for yourself as in my experience when I've done it for other people, I've often fizzled out.

The one thing I do want to say is that in my humble opinion Herbalife and other products like it are not the best thing for you. There is a lot of readily available info around the web about Herbalife. I only know as I've tried that system and upon doing research on the side-effects and health risks I came to the conclusion that the best way to go was to go for a smart real-food diet. With that being said though, do what you feel is good for you and I hope the best for your success!
  • NikkiA0612
    Options
    Welcome to the site. Let me know how you like Herbalife. I've done used it in the past but haven't tried it recently. I've been drinking Shakeology shakes and have been having some good results.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I worry you may feel hungry only eating one meal a day and 2 shakes. Shakes are not meals--they are snacks. I dont want you to get discouraged if you feel like you are struggling on this Herbalife program.

I was worried calorie counting and weighing food would be annoying ( and it was when I tried it years ago before apps like this existed and had to do it all by paper) but MFP makes it so easy to just eat the right way. I bought a food scale for $20 and it was the best thing I ever bought to aid me in weightloss. I wanted to suggest you try the same. Now it all has become second nature to me and preparing and planning 3 real meals a day is easy.

Eventually you are going to have to stop eating shakes as meals and when you transition to real food again you will likely gain whateve weight you lost back and even more.

Shut your mean spirited, unsupporting family up by losing the weight and keeping it off.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 32 now, but was probably about your weight when I was your age. I was 231 at 26 when I started Weight Watchers. I'm between 5'5" and 5'6", so right about your same height, too.

I congratulate you on getting healthy now...I wish I had done it sooner.

I'd be interested to know what you think of the Herbalife, too. I don't like the idea (for myself) of using meal replacements because I'm not planning to eat them forever...I need to learn how to change my habits in a way I can sustain for life, and meal replacements don't do that for me. One of the things that I love about this site is that it's really teaching me to eat better. I can stay in my calories for the day, but it'll show me when I've had too many carbs, too much sugar, too much sodium, etc. so I can continue to adjust and eat better.

Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • kristys2013
    Options
    Welcome! That is horrible how your family is treating you! I have had many female issues as well and at the age of 32 had a hysterectomy.I am 34 years old and need to lose like 100 llbs.I have always been on the heavier side well since I hit puberty anyways and it does not feel good when people make fun of you or for heavens sake cry! But you know what .....you can do this!You can succeed and the first supporter and motivator is you and prove everyone else you can .I know you can and the best method is journaling and seeing where you may have issues with eating habits....that works for me and cut your portions down and have a coupel snacks .I am here to help support you and you can add me if you like.Good Luck!
  • fitX38
    fitX38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We have a couple things in common :) I also started gaining weight via fast-food addiction (thanku McDonalds) sometimes eating there 3X a day. I also have PCOS and struggle with getting the weight off as well as abdominal pain which I use as an excuse to keep me off the treadmill sometimes. I am 38 however and although I miscarried just prior to my last child he was born Feb 2011 so don't get discouraged...when you're ready and its meant to be it will happen. My two teens tease each other about their weight constantly, even though I have made it clear that its the worst possible thing you could do to a person, they do it anyways - its just their immaturity level. You may add me as a friend if you'd like and good luck in reaching your goals :)
  • _dreaface
    _dreaface Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I will definatly let you know!
  • _dreaface
    Options
    :embarassed: I totally agree with you! I know the 'plan' is to just do those Two shakes and One meal. I ate a couple healthy snacks today. I know I will be going to the gym a little later so I wanted to up my calorie intake a little bit. Hopefully it doesn't mess the program up for me
  • _dreaface
    Options
    Hello, I will def let you know as well how this works for me. Many people are telling me that I will gain the weight right back but i'm not planning to abruptly stop. Baby steps :happy:
  • lovezaporiah
    Options
    Yes that's correct, 21 and 220 lbs which is not where I want to be. I literally feel disgusting! I went to the mall this past Saturday and not even a size 17 fit me :sad:
    I started gaining weight about age 17, I blame it on working at the mall where I CONSTANTLY ate fast food. Soon after I was diagnosed with PCOS. I don't get my period every month, I can go 3-4 months without it. I have cysts in my ovaries, I gain weight and just CANT seem to get it off and worst of all my chances of being infertile went up and if I am able to conceive my chances for a miscarrige are much higher than the average woman.
    I want to lose weight so bad. I feel if I had the funds I would have BEEN on the surgery bed lol
    I am so thankful that for the past 4 1/2 years I have had a wonderful man by my side who loves me no matter what I look like. He just wants me to be healthy. My family on the other hand...I have a 15 year old sister who constantly calls me fat, so does my 11 year old brother. I try not to let it get to me because I know they're just kids but sometimes it really just hurts.
    Is this really me?
    My grandmother CRIES when she see's me. It really pisses me off like really?? wow....
    This is my first day on the Herbalife products and i'm doing 2 shakes, 1 meal. Everything is worth a try right?
    I could use as much support as possible and I will support all of you as well. Thank you so much for taking the time out to read my story.

Hey!! I'm 24 and weight 215 and only 5 feet 3 inches tall. I want to get to 185 for starters. Friend me and we can go on this journey together.
  • _dreaface
    Options
    Welcome! That is horrible how your family is treating you! I have had many female issues as well and at the age of 32 had a hysterectomy.I am 34 years old and need to lose like 100 llbs.I have always been on the heavier side well since I hit puberty anyways and it does not feel good when people make fun of you or for heavens sake cry! But you know what .....you can do this!You can succeed and the first supporter and motivator is you and prove everyone else you can .I know you can and the best method is journaling and seeing where you may have issues with eating habits....that works for me and cut your portions down and have a coupel snacks .I am here to help support you and you can add me if you like.Good Luck!

Thank you I appreciate that!
  • _dreaface
    Options
    We have a couple things in common :) I also started gaining weight via fast-food addiction (thanku McDonalds) sometimes eating there 3X a day. I also have PCOS and struggle with getting the weight off as well as abdominal pain which I use as an excuse to keep me off the treadmill sometimes. I am 38 however and although I miscarried just prior to my last child he was born Feb 2011 so don't get discouraged...when you're ready and its meant to be it will happen. My two teens tease each other about their weight constantly, even though I have made it clear that its the worst possible thing you could do to a person, they do it anyways - its just their immaturity level. You may add me as a friend if you'd like and good luck in reaching your goals :)

Thank you very much! I know they're just kids but ehhhh lol
  • _dreaface
    Options
    :smile:
    Is this really me?

Hey!! I'm 24 and weight 215 and only 5 feet 3 inches tall. I want to get to 185 for starters. Friend me and we can go on this journey together.

Sounds good to me
  • lilimini
    lilimini Posts: 56
    Options
    I have a similar family. My 2 younger sisters who are 25 and 20, are both thin! My whole life they picked on me for being a plus size.

Don't worry! We have all gone through something similar. But, you know what? You can change it! Just stay motivated. You will quickly start seeing changes- and soon, when you see your grandma, she will cry because of all the hard work you have put in!

Starting is just the beginning! Good on you :)
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I sent you a friend request with a note.
  • _dreaface
    Options
    I have a similar family. My 2 younger sisters who are 25 and 20, are both thin! My whole life they picked on me for being a plus size.

Don't worry! We have all gone through something similar. But, you know what? You can change it! Just stay motivated. You will quickly start seeing changes- and soon, when you see your grandma, she will cry because of all the hard work you have put in!

Starting is just the beginning! Good on you :)

Awww thank you so much for those words!
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think that making the realization that you NEED to change is a huge step! That was honestly my biggest hurdle...everything fell into place after that. I'm 24 and started at 240+ lbs so I know how you feel. I feel disgusting and unattractive and it got to the point where I just said 'No more' and made the change. I have accepted the fact that it's going to be a long, long road but I am ready for it. It took a long time to put it on so I know it's going to take a long time to get it off -- just keep telling yourself that and don't get discouraged when things don't go perfectly.

Feel free to friend request me! I would love to have more friends with similar goals :flowerforyou:
  • mariannahl
    mariannahl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You're very young and since you identify the problem as eating the wrong kinda foods (!), I'd like to suggest you'd much rather take advantage of this site's calorie counter. Learn to eat better foods. It tells you when you've had your fill for the day, and it is rather generous with it's allowance. IF you go over, go for a little walk. Even 20 minutes of brisk walking gives you the extra calories you're craving for. With shakes and crash dieting you ONLY learn to tolerate starvation for a while, after which your body goes into crisis mode, and starts to store every single crumb you have, making the urge to eat even worse. Make a hearty shake in the morning out of yogurt, kale, carrots, some fruit of choice (apple, banana, frozen berries), you get 10 grams of fiber to literally fill you up first thing, and you can make it in the evening so you don't need to 'cook' first thing in the AM. Learning to eat by using the counter here also teaches you how much of what is acceptable to you. What do you think?
  • Spendy21
    Options
    sounds so familiar, almost same story, literally (PCOs, fam all that) . I am 5'5 weigh 192 (used to weigh 212 not so long ago). Small advice I am not the ideal person to give advice (since i hate working out and I wont give up a few things) however I did loose some weight, is to take baby steps dont expect to be eating carrots tomorrow for lunch and broccoli for dinner. What I mean is baby steps = start off by discontinuing something you eat or drink alot, like me soda I am not a bigg fan of soda but it was in every meal and that helped also dont expect to be running miles by tomorrow I would just go for a 30 min walk during my lunch break, didnt run just walk around fast, dont eat white bread wheat I still go out and enjoy myself but I pay attention at my options. One day I will cut out In n out completely but for now I'll stick to protein burger.. someday.. Lol oh and Myfitnesspal (this site) is AMAZING, I recently just actually started using it, (says i've had it for a while but honestly dont remember I did till now) I have it on my phone and makes me think before I order out I am back to loosing weight again :D LOVE this site
  • _dreaface
    Options
    I think that making the realization that you NEED to change is a huge step! That was honestly my biggest hurdle...everything fell into place after that. I'm 24 and started at 240+ lbs so I know how you feel. I feel disgusting and unattractive and it got to the point where I just said 'No more' and made the change. I have accepted the fact that it's going to be a long, long road but I am ready for it. It took a long time to put it on so I know it's going to take a long time to get it off -- just keep telling yourself that and don't get discouraged when things don't go perfectly.

Feel free to friend request me! I would love to have more friends with similar goals :flowerforyou:

Yessss I feel like if I love myself then I will change