I have no calves.

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I have one itty bitty non-existent calf muscle measuring 12.5 inches. I also don't have full mobility in that ankle either. Can anyone point me to some calf muscle building exercises that I can do without hurting myself? (OK, it's unlikely, as I hurt myself walking, but I'd like to try.)

EDIT: I should have elaborated... today is my first day in about 8 weeks out of a cast for a broken ankle, so I'm trying to get it back to about 14.5" where I started pre-cast. And I wasn't ordered PT b/c it's done really well getting back in shape on it's own (which is OK with me as my insurance sucks with PT).

Replies

• workkoutchick96
    Options
    I do calf raises until they burn so bad i cant stand it. reps of about 100 :) good luck!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Jump Rope! :)
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'll give you some of mine. ;)
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You can have some of mine. My left calf is two inches bigger than my right, so help yourself :)
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    My calves are the same size as yours, lol. I actually do have really nice calf muscles (or so I've been told) and I do a lot of calf raises both seated and standing to work that muscle.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    sprints.....

1670139_1727.jpg
  • odusgolp
    Options
    You can have some of mine. My left calf is two inches bigger than my right, so help yourself :)

Injury?
  • Razack541
    Options
    Calf raises are great. If your calf is to weak to do them standing, you can do them sitting, and maybe adding weight to your leg to increase the difficulty until you can do them standing safely.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.

I never take the time to train them, there's a lot of more important areas that I usually focus on.
    But if I'm injured or have time for an extra workout I try to hit them a bit.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    you'd probably have to do a significant amount of weight training and eating at a surplus to actually gain enough muscle to be noticeable.

And you can do bodyweight/low weight calf raises till you're blue in the face and your body won't significantly build more muscle.

It's just part of our genetics unfortunately.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    sprints.....

1670139_1727.jpg

That's hot. I may not run anytime soon, but I will keep that pic in mind :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Stair running
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do calf raises until they burn so bad i cant stand it. reps of about 100 :) good luck!

+1 on that. Exercises the doc gave me after the achilles repair. Balance yourself in a doorway initially and do it on each foot. Also place the aerobic step pad there (or do this on the stairs) and stand on the ball of your foot so you get more movement. After a period, do it with weights.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    <--- No calf raises.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Calf raises are great. If your calf is to weak to do them standing, you can do them sitting, and maybe adding weight to your leg to increase the difficulty until you can do them standing safely.

This helps.... I don't think I can even do a calf raise standing right now, tbh. But, i could throw weight on it while sitting, I hadn't thought of that.
  • odusgolp
    Options

+1 on that. Exercises the doc gave me after the achilles repair. Balance yourself in a doorway initially and do it on each foot. Also place the aerobic step pad there (or do this on the stairs) and stand on the ball of your foot so you get more movement. After a period, do it with weights.

Thank you! Doorway... another thing that never occurred to me. (Side note: Therapy was not ordered, which is why I'm asking the masses that are smarter than me) :blushing:
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have huge calves. Take them, they're yours.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would suggest walking as one way. and gradually jog lightly

Basilas you get strenght there!!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I have huge calves. Take them, they're yours.

I'd love to :)
  • odusgolp
    Options

if a woman have calves like this, I'd run away.

There's no danger of that happening :P