low potassium

Options
I seem to be consistently low in potassium, but I'm high in carbs, so I don't want to eat bananas or potatoes. Ideas? Quick and cheap recipe ideas?

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Bump for responses
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Meat, dairy, and all fruits and veggies have a ton!

I like zucchini and coconut water for instance :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Im performing a atudy on this now.

My wife and I are eating the daily amount of sodium and potassium to see if we wake up without water retention.

So far my favorites are:

Avocados
    Organic kiwis
    Organic bananas

Heres a helpful list.
    http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/

Keep in mind the more natural the food the better.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Chicken is a good way to raise potassium and protein without adding any carbs.
  • ITS_MY_CHOICE
    ITS_MY_CHOICE Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor and get a blood test. Then you will see what your potassium level is. Don't blindly trust MFP for that info.
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I relate to your concerns about potassium. It's a challenge for me to eat the amount recommended by my doctor . I also watch my carbs so I choose carbs that will also give me the potassium I need. Sweet potatoes, small red skinned potatoes, winter squash, and all beans are part of my diet but in somewhat smaller amounts than a usual serving. Fruits like cantaloupe, peaches, apricots, bananas, oranges are great sources of potassium I throw a few dried raisins or apricots in my oatmeal to boost the potassium. Avocados are fantastic.. And you also get a lot of potassium from meats. It's a balancing act between the high potassium foods and keeping the carbs low.
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Nearly everything you eat has some potassium in it. Most people dont record it when entering food into the database. So i search mine out and create my own foods. Google Nutrition database which is good for data.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Nearly everything you eat has some potassium in it. Most people dont record it when entering food into the database. So i search mine out and create my own foods. Google Nutrition database which is good for data.
    ^^^
    This. Not all countries include potassium in their labeling (Australia, we are looking at you).
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Not all nutrition labels have potassium on them.

if you are really concerned, check with your GP about a blood or urine test for potassium to see what your levels look like. My urologist said my potassium was low and prescribed a daily supplement of 2100mg.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Raw spinach has a ton of potassium :)

I was low on postassium too, and it started making my legs get cramped up and I was told it was because I wasn't getting enough potassium. I ate raw spinach for lunch for a few weeks and ate banana's for breakfast and my legs felt fine after that!
  • kriscrat
    kriscrat Posts: 15
    Options
    I can't eat much red meat, but I love my fruits and veggies!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Spinach!
    Add some in your fruit smoothie.
    Spinach lasagna.
    spinach soup
    spinach salad
    Use Morton lite salt then you can have more potassium.
  • kriscrat
    kriscrat Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks all for the ideas! I already eat an avocado and drink coconut water every day, but I'll also start including some of these other things too, and ask my doctor at my next visit to include a potassium check in my blood work.
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't trust MFP for tracking potassium (like other people have said) . I panicked for a bit before I started checking the foods I ate. Almost all the user created foods say N/A under potassium. Turned out I was getting way MORE than what I needed :)
  • JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you care about your potassium intake?
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    I may be wrong but i think it balances out the sodium intake. I think they negate each other.