Tredmill vs. Elliptical

Options

Replies

• kaedaza
    kaedaza Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do 30min on each everyday..i LOVE it..with the treadmill I do once of the mountain or hill programs on the highest level..I burn about 400cal every 30min that way
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    for me its the tredmill, i have a hard time on the elliptical lol
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on preference. For me I get a much better workout with the elliptical. I have 0 coordination on the treadmill so I spend more time trying not to trip than getting a good workout in.

^^ this. I'm always nervous on the treadmill b/c I'm so uncoordinated. I put in 45 mins on the elliptical on 20% incline and speed of 12 and I burn upwards of 900 calories. I don't think I would see that kind of result on a TM w/o running (and that would leave me lying on my face, I'm sure, w/burns lol) The elliptical is easier on my knees too.
  • DrJackson6
    DrJackson6 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I burn more on the treadmill on a 6.0 incline.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on the elipitical vs the treadmill. I can go faster and have more incline on it.

I can not run or jog anymore. The elipitical is suggested due to joint issues of the knees and ankles.

If I could :bigsmile:
    I'd fmix it up with both machines, and favor the Treadmill on days when jogging/running outdoors is off limits= ice, deep snow, storms, and like weather.

I see it as a preference for what works best for you and your body's abilities.
  • kilada
    kilada Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    nice work! 100 calories per 10 minutes sound good to me!
  • mattness09
    mattness09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    the elliptical is my favorite. I set it on random and level 14 or 16. burns 450cal in 30mins. I give the treadmill an honest try, but I just can't get the hang of it. Prefer to run outside.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The ellipitical definitely seems to overestimate calories burned. Elliptical's feel much easier then treadmills, and I really doubt that they burn as many calories as they claim.

I think running is much much better than ellipitcals for several reasons. Mainly, it gives you the option to take your exercise outdoors, which is huge when the weather is nice. People who exercise outside have been found to be more likely to stick to their workout routine for long periods of time. Second, it's too easy to slow down your pace on an elliptical, whereas you can't slow down subconsiously on a treadmill w/o falling off. Also, your body was designed by millions of years of evolution to run. It's just the most efficient cardiovascular exercise out there.
  • jennydanger77
    Options
    i love love love the elliptical. im horribly uncoordinated, so like a PP said- i spend the time trying not to fall off the treadmill. i use the 'random' setting on the elliptical so the intensity is always varied. i can push for speed when its low resistance, and alternate with higher resistance trying to keep up the speed. know what i mean? the intervals keeps me from being bored for the 45 min, and i can zone out to music and enjoy the workout. i can usually get an 11 calorie burn per minute this way, and that is not too shabby.

4 years ago i dropped over 50 lbs in a few months, just from the elliptical. its a valid workout.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hate the elliptical. Its so boring and my feet always fall asleep. I used to use it all the time...was able to do an hour straight and assumed if I could do that I could run...NOT. After a few months of building up running (after using the elliptical for over a year) I have seen more body improvements than I ever did with the elliptical. I get a tremendously amazing workout running...and always feel awesome after a good hard run. I do the treadmill 3 days a week at lunch (too hot in AZ at lunch to be outside) and run 3 days a week at home long distances...I couldnt stand to do all that on the elliptical.

Plus, in my opinion, the elliptical does too much work for you. Its too easy to slow down too.

I wouldnt say I love the treadmill, because I prefer to run outside...but I absolutely hate the elliptical. So for me...the treadmill will always give me a better workout. But its all about finding YOUR thing and sticking to it. Its hard to stick to anything you dont enjoy.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It is preference and how hard you work. I tend to take it easy on the elliptical, whereas on the treadmill I run sprints so I know I get a better workout. My theory is, whatever it is that you get a better workout and you actually workout is the best. Some people buy a treadmill with good intentions but never use it. The equipment you actually use is the best!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Yes, i was just wondering what people thought, but i also love the Elliptical..i hate running on the tredmill...i feel like my butt n boobs go everywhere lol

^^^ HAHA YUP! Which is EXACTLY why I dont run on the treadmill. Plus, the elliptical burns way more calories!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I choose the elliptical all the time. I feel like I'm going to hurt myself on the tredmill and if I wanted to go plain walking, I rather be outside in the fresh air. I also choose the elliptical because I have knee problems.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    definately the treadmill especially mixing it up with fast and slow :smile:
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use both. The elliptical is GREAT for burning the calories, especially when the cross ramp is at an incline. It's also gentle on the knees (I have a torn meniscus). I like the treadmill because walking is one of my favorite things to do. This summer has been extraordinarily hot, so I've been using it a little more. Because of the knee injury, though, I have to use it sparingly.

The other piece of equipment I use is the bicycle. I sit down, set the resistance, start pedalling, and open the book I'm reading. The time goes quick and I forget how long I've been on the bicycle. I've also noticed that when I am engrossed in reading, I am pedalling faster. The bicycle burns more calories than the treadmill, but not as much as the elliptical.

A workout routine can get boring, so I change up the equipment I use.
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The elliptical always said that I burned a ton of calories, but I didn't really start to lose weight until I ditched the elliptical and started using the treadmill. I think I lost 40lbs in 3 months during and just after couch to 5k and that was before I was counting calories.
  • Fit_SailorsWife
    Fit_SailorsWife Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical and it's especially good for people with bad knees :)
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I hate them both. I'd rather go outside and run in the open air with cars and people and scenery. To each their own of course, but unless it's pouring our I never do cardio on a machine. Even if it's pouring I'd rather do an Insanity video, but since I'm half marathon training I need to stick to the treadmill if weather isn't running friendly.
  • mamabearcushing
    mamabearcushing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Neither...

The Bowflex Tread Climber is amazing. Not only am I getting a great cardio workout, 214 calories burned in 20 mins, but you tone a lot too.

The machine has a bar that I hold on to and squeeze my arms, back, abs, and legs. It feels great. Tones you right up. You dont even feel like you are running. But it does take some coordination.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from user to user. I often find myself burning more calories per minute on the treadmill (mainly when I'm doing interval or incline running) than the elliptical, but the difference is fairly small, definitely trivial when considering I can go much longer on an elliptical than I can running.

I like all forms of cardio myself, but between the two machines I prefer the elliptical, because it is a lot easier on the joints and tendons.