What to add to almond milk?

Options
KayLaul
KayLaul Posts: 19
I usually have almond milk in the morning as part of my breakfast - I find it pretty filling, and it's a good source of calcium and so on. I'm not too keen on the taste (or that of soya, hazelnut, rice etc, before you suggest those!), so I usually put a little of protein powder in to change the taste a bit.

Except I've recently become lactose intolerant, and the powder contains whey. Does anyone have any suggestions for a LACTOSE-FREE addition for my morning almond milk? The only one I can come up with is coffee, but I'm sure there must be others! I had though of drinking chocolate, but most of those contain milk products.

Replies

• bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use rice protein powder... it's twice as expensive as the whey kind tho :(

I love vanilla almond milk, and csometimes add vanilla extract to my plain unsweetened milk. I alsmo make smoothies with the milk (using frozen berries etc)
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i add a little stevia to my almond milk to make it sweet! no calories, natural, and it tastes really good!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Too funny - I was going to recommend coffee. ;-) If you're not opposed to artificial sweeteners, you can use the sugar free syrups (Torani, DaVinci, etc) to flavor it up a bit... Or, stevia and cocoa powder?
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    whey protein powder, fat free fage, chocolate cocoa powder. takes like a dayum chocolate milk shake! :smokin:
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    There are different kinds of protein powder (as mentioned here). I am also lactose intolerant and never use whey protein--I use a vegetable protein of some kind (pea) or rice protein, or soy protein...
  • TooHott2Trott
    TooHott2Trott Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try a drop of vanilla extract.
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    you can also buy egg white protein.

Throw your almond milk in the blender with some frozen fruit (i love half a frozen banana, some PB2, and a tad of cocoa powder) - the possibilities are endless!
  • allirep
    allirep Posts: 26
    Options
    have you tried the whey protein isolate powder? it has much less lactose. just a thought.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/539857-whey-protein-dairy-intolerance/

i don't really like any protein powder myself. i blend my almond milk w/strawberries. If you are looking to up your morning protein - eggs and bacon are both tasty and delicious :)
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    You could switch to a rice or hemp based protein powder.

Also, there are some good whey-isolate protein powders that have 99% of the lactose removed from them. A lot of them also contain lactase enzyme to help with the digestion of any remaining lactose (Generally, lactose intolerant individuals do not produce enough lactase naturally).
  • kristineclair
    kristineclair Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cereal
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup Coffee + 1 cup almond breeze unsweetened almond milk + 2 Tbsp Hershey's sugar-free chocolate syrup + 1 pk Stevia + cool whip free = Chocolate Iced Coffee 71 calories

Also, check out www.capellaflavordrops.com . They have no-calorie/carb/sugar flavored drops in a gazillion flavors. I like to use the cheesecake flavor and 1 pk of Stevia.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Try making your own. I like to do 1 cup of almonds (soaked overnight), 1-2 dates (optional), a dash of vanilla (optional), and 2-3 cups of filtered water (depending on how creamy you want it). Toss it all in the blender and then run it through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth.

MUCH better than store bought and you can control how sweet and what flavor it is.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Try making your own. I like to do 1 cup of almonds (soaked overnight), 1-2 dates (optional), a dash of vanilla (optional), and 2-3 cups of filtered water (depending on how creamy you want it). Toss it all in the blender and then run it through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth.

MUCH better than store bought and you can control how sweet and what flavor it is.

Also, the left over nut meal is a delicious addition to many cooking/baking recipes. I have even used it as a nutritious pie crust before. MMMM pie.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with whey powder
  • kimmers99
    Options
    I use vegan proteins +, it taste yummy. I usually mix with rice milk but almond milk would be good as well.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I replaced my rice milk in my cereal with almond milk. Sometimes the almond milk is a little too think so I might cut it with water which is even less calories.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    VEGN protien powder!!!!!!!!!! YUMYUMYUM! lactose/gluten free! I buy the choc-o-lot flavour of the instant smoothie variety, it is unfortunate because it only comes in smaller packaging. But it is tasty so good! I usually add unsweetened plain almond milk, a scoop of natural peanut butter, a tablespoon of flax, and frozen strawberries, then blend!
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Blend it with frozen fruit and a little protein powder or greek yogurt, and it makes a yummy sweet smoothie.
  • rabbittoes
    rabbittoes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If your a fan of yogurt. There's some company's that make it out of coconut milk. I have allergies to milk, whey, soy, wheat etc. Many more. I also use my almond milk in the am to make a fruit smoothie! I can't tell that I've added non dairy milk. If you google for milk free products you will find lists and stores that carry them.