How can I Shop Healthy w.o. Emptying our Accounts?!

Options
Any one who went to college or has lived on their own as a young adult, knows that food is expensive! That was a serious shock moving out of my mother's house... the healthy foods, like fresh fruits and vegetables, are expensive while fast food and crappy, empty calorie meals are cheap! So backwards!

I was sitting here today thinking, "What are we going to have for dinner tonight"...."maybe subway.. NO ... maybe I'll stop and pick up some chicken... or make an eggplant panini!" Then it dawned on me, I'm seriously broke right now, and all we have the cupboards is junk food. Like Skillet dinners and mac and cheese. Which are all delicious! and don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the food we have.... but I can't even imagine how many steps back they would push us. A lot, I'm sure!!

It's really hard financially to spend $100 on healthy food and only get enough for a week or so, when I could spend $100 on frozen pizza and boxed meals and eat for a month, or longer. I know pizza and boxed dinners aren't the best for us... but when the options are eat a salad or pay the bills... guess who's eating pizza? Hahaha.

I guess what I am getting to is....
Does anyone have a shopping list or approach for a limited budget? One that will fill the fridge with healthy foods but not empty our accounts.
Or maybe some great recipes that have cheap but healthy ingredients.

I would really love some feed back about this! I know we are not the only broke people out there.... so how is everyone losing weight but not breaking the budget??

I look forward to your responses.

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely! I am a young adult in college. I use couponing, price matching, and buy one get one sales to fill in certain things when they get cheap I buy in bulk... like nuts, dairy products, lettuce, etc. I get only the fruit that is in season so it is on sale. I buy meat on sale typically and can only afford fish once a week.

You can look at my diary if you like to get an idea, and ask me any questions.

By the way, my budget for me and my husband together is about $80 a week.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Brown rice, dried beans, whole grain pasta, canned tomatoes, tuna, salmon, spices, cost very little per serving.

Frozen veggies, fruits, all are cheap and don't spoil.

Coupons are your friend!!

Oatmeal, barley, split peas.....
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Salmon is expensive where I live......
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    I buy meat (chicken/fish/shrimp) in large quantities when it's cheap and freeze it. Defrost when needed. Buy fruit and veg that are in season. A tray of eggs lasts a couple of weeks? 1 loaf of bread/week.

Not sure where you live but I can get 4 chicken breasts/ground meat + vegetables to make enough lunches to last me a week all in <15$. Where as if I were to eat out lunch, I'd spend 15$ in two days. Stuff like seasonings/rice/pasta/potatoes/beans/canned stuff I always have sitting around in large quantities so I don't spend on those things on a regular basis.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    What onyx girl said is great advice. While not popular these days, buying a whole chicken or part of a turkey, you can make a myriad of different things with the left overs. Use left over breast meat for salads, or sandwiches. Boil off your bones and extra stuff for soup broth. If you measure your amount of carbs like rice, noodles, vegetables you can have a healthy soup without all the salt in canned soup. If you don't like soup, you can make lots of different kinds of casseroles with chicken. If you don't like poultry it may be a little more difficult. Even though eggs are more expensive than they used to be they are still quite cheap and very quick to make. If you count your starches you can eat them. Just don't overdo it. Cut off some of the breast meat before you prepare the whole chicken and make a stir fry. I love chicken and snow peas. Use some of your broth, after the fat is drained off, and fry turkey burger in the broth. If you are vegetarian or vegan, sorry.
  • _alix_
    _alix_ Posts: 4
    Options
    I try and use coupons here and there, but then I find myself buying stuff that I don't actually need, because I don't want to waste the coupon hahaha. I think I will try to buy up some frozen fruits. That seems like a good idea, I love fruit! We always have frozen veggies and if hunting season goes right, we one way or another (one of our deer or one of our dad's) always have venison. So that saves us a lot. We eat chicken all the time! I try to buy a frozen bag whenever I see it on sale. We go though a lot of those lol. I think if I look through recipes and kind of search by ingredients I should be able to find something that'll work for us. This is just such a frustrating time. Finally, so much independence and no money to go do anything hahaha! I haven't had fast food, in at least a month. My boyfriend on the other hand eats it almost everyday. I've convinced him to do this with me.... so hopefully we will change that and be able to cut it out for both of us 100%!

Thank you all for your inputs, I really appreciate it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It's not so much about the foods as it is about where and when you get them that will affect your bank account. Of course the apples from Whole Foods might be more expensive, it's a specialty store and half the cost is branding.

On the other hand, if you scope out co-ops and farmer's markets, you can get fresh, locally grown foods for a fraction of the price. Going the co-op and farmer's market route can also help you find the farms in your area, which can help save you money outside of farmer's market season, because you can go directly to them to get things like eggs.

Additionally, if you buy in-season foods (and not just produce, some meats, such as lamb or venison, have "seasons," based on hunting seasons or growth cycles), then they're generally cheaper, and taste worlds better than "greenhouse" or otherwise out of season foods.

Buying in bulk will also help reduce per-serving costs. Find a friend or family member that is willing to go in with you on part of a cow and freeze cuts in family-sized packages (honestly, two of the best food-related investments I've made have been my chest freezer and my FoodSaver). You can buy produce in bulk, too, then freeze or otherwise process them yourself, as well.

As for the price for healthy food vs junk, I think it's a little skewed. Sure, you can spend $5 for a frozen pizza, but how satisfying is it, and how much does it actually feed? I don't know about you, but I can easily eat half of one and barely feel not-hungry. However, I can make stir-fry, or a chicken breast and salad, and be full on what seems to be a fraction of the food. If you chop up your own vegetables, instead of buying the pre-packaged stuff, you can make a stir fry that can make around 6 servings, for about the same price as that pizza. For the two of you, that's three dinners each!

It might help to pick up one of the Eat/Grill/Cook This, Not That! cookbooks. They have awesome, creative recipes, and (Grill This, Not That!, at least) have per-serving prices on them, most of which come out to be $2-$4. Even if you assume 3 meals for both of you for all 7 days, that comes out to, at most, $168 a week ($4/meal*3meals/day*7days/week*2people), and that's assuming you buy everything fresh. You can easily knock that number down simply by buying some of it in bulk.
  • hs1956
    hs1956 Posts: 16
    Options
    I lived off of cooked dried beans and frozen veggies when I was in graduate school and had a very tight budget. The plain, store brand frozen veggies are cheaper and can be bought in bulk. I also ate canned salmon and canned tuna for a meat source. Dried beans are a wonder-lentils, limas, black beans, pintos, etc and nutritious. They are cheaper than frozen dinners/pizza and can be made into large quantities. For beverages, I made unsweetened ice tea, watered down juices, made powdered milk and avoided the coffee shops. Buying heads of dark green lettuces are half the price of the "bag o salad" and dressing can be made from scratch. Don't buy the "baby" carrots-cut up your own. Fresh fruits do cost but were an area I chose not to skimp on.

I still eat like this!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I can make dinner for four with $5 and have leftovers for 2 days, or buy one subway sandwich. Check out the blog Poor Girl Eats Well to get some ideas on how to eat healthy on a very small budget: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Like someones else said, price matching is your best bet. Gather the flyers and price match the produce and meat from all the weekly sales all at one store. Adding coupons will make things even cheaper for you. Check out some couponing websits to see what you can do.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sales are good. Bulk and store-able/freeze-able are also good. Veggies keep in freezer, Fruits don't always but they will go on sale when they are getting a bit ripe so just eat them in the next 2-5 days. Milk is generally inexpensive and last a number of times if you actually use it by the cup (8oz) vs glass size (generaly 12-16 oz). Pasta is always cheaper. Use olive oile and spices for pasta with meat and veggies compared to sauce with meat and veggies. Count portions. If you spend $50 dollars on this week but have food for next week as well, that's 25 per week, compared to spending only 30-35 for week.

Also eating out most of the time is more expensive/quantity. If you buy tortila (on sale), cheese (block), peperoni, and speggetti sauce - add some spices, you can make a version of a pizza that's less expensive, less calories, and more quanity. (8-12 tortillas in a package...)

I use to make a meal plan based upon price honestly. For example, breakfast would be $1.00, Eggs are about 3 dollars here which is 25 cents per egg. Glass of skim milk = 50 cents per 8oz... So 2 eggs and milk would be 1.00. I could also do toast, oatmeal, etc. Just think about price/quantity of the item and nutrition. Ramen is cheap but it's just calories, no real substance.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    there's a huge price difference depending on where you shop, I live right in front of Giant Eagle the main grocery chain by me that offers "member discounts!" "double coupons!" "fuel perk discounts!" that is easily 3 times as expensive as some of the discount stores that are just a little further away. I'm a HUGE Aldi's shopper, they're owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's so you can get a lot of nice stuff for super cheap. Sure I have to provide my own bags and use my own quarter to "rent" a shopping cart but I can get enough food for my husband and I to eat for a week for under $60 and I am super picky about my food. This weeks haul included almond milk, lactose free milk, eggs, frozen veggie pizza, chocolate covered bananas (Diana's brand) ground turkey, frozen fish, a stirfry mix, a few bags of frozen veggies, salad mix, green bell peppers, crimini mushrooms, shampoo, conditioner & greek yogurt... I'm sure more than that but thats all I can think of, and I spent $58. I couldnt have gotten half that even with coupons from Giant Eagle.

Check for local farmer's markets & fruit stands for cheaper in season stuff and skip brand names & prepared healthy foods. You can buy bulk staples like rice & beans that will last for awhile from mexican or asian markets.

Good luck!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Go to walmart, only/mostly shop the outside rim the of the store and you should be good!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to do a little homework, it's possible. Believe me- I recently moved out of my parents after graduating college (where I lived on the cheap junk food) and I found out quickly that eating healthy was EXPENSIVE. But I've learned a few techniques that save me TONS of money every week.

Here's where to start:
    1. Get added to the mailing lists of the grocery stores around you. Even if you don't shop at them (or they're out of what you want that's on sale), if you take an ad to WalMart that has the same product as they do at a cheaper price, Walmart will price match it, which means STOCK UP! (I do this a lot with frozen vegetables, salad mixes, tuna, etc.) I get alot of things cheap at WalMart this way.

2. By all means, if you have an Aldi's close by, shop there FIRST. Their produce is WAYYYY more reasonable than anywhere else I've looked. They have almost any vegetable you'd want as well as fruit. They also have frozen veggies. I would warn you to be wary of their Fit'n'Active brand foods, they all seem to appear healthy, but you really need to read their labels good. Some are great foods, but some aren't. Just gotta do your homework. (Example- Their Fit'n'Active brand italian salad dressing, it's titled "light", but you can get much better at WalMart for the same price with less calories and fat.) I also love their frozen fish selection, they have salmon, flounder, tilapia, scallops, shrimp- all for WAY less than anywhere else.

3. Grains & beans are your friends. Brown rice (Aldis), black beans (Aldis, but if you buy canned, go with Bush's reduced sodium at WalMart, and still rinse with water first), quinoa, etc. (although I find quinoa to be a bit pricey at times). I usually have some type of grain or bean with most of my meals- my favorite is I'll cook up about 4 cups of brown rice on a Sunday and use it throughout the week as a side with my meals (top with salsa and pair with chicken, mix in with a salad, etc.)

4. Be a pack rat when it comes to meats. If you find it on sale, buy as much as your budget allows, and freeze what you aren't going to immediately use. I like to buy ground turkey and chicken buy the pound and split it up into 1/2 lb. pieces and freeze in individual sandwich bags so that I don't have to thaw the whole block when I don't want all of it at once.

5. You can also freeze fresh veggies (after you chop them up). Green peppers, onions, corn (on the cob, I boil it and cut if off the cob to freeze), fresh green beans, etc. Stock up if you find that you have extra funds and freeze for when there's a week that you find you can't afford to go out and replenish your fresh veggie stock.

6. You can save by making homemade versions of things that I feel zap the money out of your wallet. Example- I hate buying canned tomato sauce. I buy tomatoes, remove the skins, and boil them down, add my own seasonings- onions, garlic, etc. (this way you can avoid the extra sugars and other things that are always added into canned sauces). You can freeze after making, but I don't like to let this sit for more than a couple months or so.

7. I don't buy eggs by the dozen. I know it seems expensive when you look at how much Egg Beaters cost, but if you think about the shelf life compared to a dozen eggs, it makes sense. It would take me at least three weeks to eat a dozen eggs, which would go bad by that point- so I've just thrown my money away. Egg beaters (which Aldis also now carries under the Fit'n'Active brand) have a rather long shelf life compared to regular eggs (and also have less cholesterol & calories).

Hope that helps! I know I've saved a lot of money myself by doing all of those things!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since they double to quadruple in size, depending on the type, dried beans are one of the cheapest most nutrient packed foods I know. Brown rice is usually pretty cheap and mixed with the beans makes a tasty meal. Bean soups, vegetarian bean chilis, hummus or other bean dips/spreads (these make great wraps too). Use leftover beans for things like bean burritos or enchildas.

As others have said frozen vegetables are a very good bargain. Even leafy greens such as collards, turnip greens and spinach can be found frozen and are way cheaper than fresh. It would take a huge bag of greens to cook down to that little $1.50 box of frozen. And because they are blanched before freezing you don't really have to cook them. Just thaw, season and eat.

Frozen fruits are great for mixing in cereals, yogurts or salads. Cottage cheese is usually affordable, especially when on sale, and is great mixed with frozen fruit.

Eggs are a great bargain. Add a pack of frozen spinach and a little cheese and/or onion for a cheap omelette packed with nutrition.

Peanut butter is cheap. Many dry roasted nuts are affordable and are great protein additions to stir fries or salads, besides being great snacks.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've developed a strategy for shopping.

1. I get all the flyers for the local grocery stores. I shop at up to 4 stores every two weeks, and because I buy everything on sale, I get everything cheaper. My meal plans are based specifically on what's on sale.

2. I talked to the produce manager at the small local store and found out when they put their produce on clearance. They bag it up, and each bag is a dollar. I've gotten 25 kiwi fruit for a dollar, 4-5 red peppers for a dollar, 2 heads of broccoli, 5 pounds of oranges, 2 heads of lettuce, 2 heads of cauliflower, 5 pounds of apples, etc.

3. Find out when they put out the reduced meat. Take it home, portion it out, and freeze it. I generally get meat and seafood for up to 75% off.

4. Check out some websites on frugal living. My favorite is Hillbilly Housewife. Google it, and it pops right up. They have a page on healthy eating (Healthy Hillbilly Housewife), where all the recipes are lower cal. I adjust the recipes for my personal dietary needs, and enjoy. They even have the nutritional info for each recipe.

5. Check out places like Big Lots. They are a store that buys overstock from other companies. I get a lot of my favorite health food items from them at a much reduced price.

Yes all this is somewhat time consuming. I take out 2 days per month to do my shopping days, but it allows us to eat much better than before. I just had to make it a priority.

Good luck.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am so cheap! Doesn't matter if I have money or not, I just shop cheap! I buy the fruits and vegies (what's on special) I look in the junk mail and shop around, the cheapest meal I make serves 8 people (so 3/4 goes in the freezer) I buy cheap mince and drain the fat out after it's browned and buy 2 cans of tomato paste (79c each) and a tin of diced tomato (60c) and cook that with 99c pasta! But I skimp on things like shampoo I buy the $1.90 bottles I buy cheap soaps and cleaning supplies (steam mops are the cheapest after you've bought it)
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have managed to save so much by using a Foodsaver/vacuum sealer machine. I buy the meats etc when on sale and then freeze it all. Keeps it so much better, and you don't waste much at all to freezerburn. Learn to cut up whole chickens...its so much cheaper than ones that are pieced out!

Coupons coupons coupons and sales sales sales. If you have a Safeway you can get online and do the just4u thing that hooks up to the club card and it can really help!

Best thing I have ever done tho is sit down and figure out a menu for the week, and stick to it. I know just what I need to get and I know I already have stuff in the freezer etc to make it with. On weekends, about 1x a month or more depending on how much we go thru I cook a whole mess of food, portion it, and freeze it. Then I can thaw it and cook it or heat it according to my menu.

Makes life so much easier!
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Make casseroles and freeze the portions you don't use.
    Make spaghetti sauce with lots of veggies and beans. Put medium meat that you drained really well.
    Use leftover to make lasagna using cottage cheese mixed with mozzarella and an egg.
    Buy whole grain pasta cook with mushroom soup and frozen veggies.
    Make huge batches of chili with lots of beans, corn and tomatoes (all in season right now)