Do you weight your protein before or after cooking?

Options
As you well aware the weight of chicken/fish/beef is higher before it is cooked.
Do Nutrition Facts applicable to pre or post cooking weight ?
Thanks

Replies

• sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I always weigh after cooking since I cook for the whole family and it is easier to portion out a cooked serving. I always log my food by the cooked entry in the database. There are tons of cooked weight entries to choose from so it isn't really necessary to log a raw weight unless you like doing it that way. I love how MFP has so many database options!

edit: spelling
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cooked... it isn't always like I am cooking just my food directly before eating it... I have a lot of left overs since my kids do not eat left overs... lol
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It depends on if I'm using nutritional info for cooked or raw food. If you search for your meat with "cooked" or "raw" in the description, you should be able to find the entry in the database that matches. I prefer to search this way anyway because it typically gives you the "official" entry for that food, which is usually more trustworthy than relying on member-entered foods.
  • lleabrooks
    lleabrooks Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh most meats cooked.

Exceptions are ground turkey or beef or those items where the label only provides the nutrition info for the raw product. I like to be as precise as possible... its a sickness. :blushing:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It depends on if I'm using nutritional info for cooked or raw food. If you search for your meat with "cooked" or "raw" in the description, you should be able to find the entry in the database that matches. I prefer to search this way anyway because it typically gives you the "official" entry for that food, which is usually more trustworthy than relying on member-entered foods.

Exactly this. However, when I can, I choose the "raw" entry and weigh my meat raw. I figure that's more accurate. Cooked weight depends on how you cook (or overcook...) it. A perfectly cooked chicken breast weighs more than a cooked-to-death chicken breast, yet their nutrition content is the same; the only difference is water weight.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    ...However, when I can, I choose the "raw" entry and weigh my meat raw. I figure that's more accurate. Cooked weight depends on how you cook (or overcook...) it. A perfectly cooked chicken breast weighs more than a cooked-to-death chicken breast, yet their nutrition content is the same; the only difference is water weight.
    Good point!