bat wings, swing wings, grandma arms

Options
I'm 2/3 of the way done with 30DS! My arms have significantly toned up and I have lost about 1 1/4 inch from each arm. I am still having problems with the flabby under part of my arm - you know the ones that flap and sag especially once you become a grandma?! I'm nowhere near the age of being a grandma so I want YOUR advice. . . what did you do to tone that area? In addition to 30DS I also get cardio 5-6 times a week - usually about 2-3 times of jogging and 3 times walking the dog at a brisk pace.

Replies

• Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Tricep extensions with the heaviest weight you can lift while maintaining form or bench dips. I swear by them.
  • DivaJadelyn
    DivaJadelyn Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahwilloughby07
    Options
    I found a couple of workouts on Pinterest and found myself pointing at the screen and yelling at my arms, "THAT is what you are supposed to look like!" Here's one that I plan on doing once I locate my weights: http://www.fitsugar.com/Printable-Arm-Workout-Poster-23062748
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting!!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, and I know it takes time to lose from all of my body and that targeting really doesn't tell my body "Lose fat there darnit!!" but I lift and I feel it'll take time to see what's under the flab.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    This will partially depend on how much body fat you still have to lose, your genetics, age and skin elasticity. If you have more than 80lbs to lose, it's going to be common to have loose skin regardless of how much exercising you do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm a grandma and I don't have bat wings. Maybe good genetics maybe not; however, my weight came off slowly, very slowly and my exercise routines include triceps kickbacks two/three times a week. Don't know if this helps but I include a lot of Omega-6 foods in my diet which has (beef) been fabulous for my formerly dry skin.
  • ahlani
    ahlani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This will partially depend on how much body fat you still have to lose, your genetics, age and skin elasticity. If you have more than 80lbs to lose, it's going to be common to have loose skin regardless of how much exercising you do.

IDEA Fitness member

This

Time and life leave their marks on us all in some form or another. I don't believe loose skin that results from significant weight loss can be exercised away. ( that's where some cosmetic surgeons make a living :P )

If you do get the flappies then I think you should be very very proud of them as they are marks on your body that is undeniable proof of your outstanding success in your life's journey to become healthy.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm 2/3 of the way done with 30DS! My arms have significantly toned up and I have lost about 1 1/4 inch from each arm. I am still having problems with the flabby under part of my arm - you know the ones that flap and sag especially once you become a grandma?! I'm nowhere near the age of being a grandma so I want YOUR advice. . . what did you do to tone that area? In addition to 30DS I also get cardio 5-6 times a week - usually about 2-3 times of jogging and 3 times walking the dog at a brisk pace.

I have the same issue. My biceps are looking great, but my triceps look like they belong to another body. I think I will start doing tricep extensions and kickbacks again and some tricep pushups.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly this.

No such thing as spot reduction. I would recommend lifting heavy weights and eating in a calorie deficit. Best you can do!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You mean bingo arms?

Like when the old ladies wave their arms and say "BINGO!!"? :drinker:

I have nothing for you, except empathy. I have them too. And I have heard over and over again that you can't spot reduce.

Guess we will be visiting surgeons one day soon, hopefully... :flowerforyou:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    bump.....I want to find out what to do to help the flabbies also
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my personal experience so far has not been good. Since January, I've lost 10 inches from my waist, 11 inches from my hips, 7 inches from my thighs and less than a 1/2 from my arms.

My upper arms and calves are my problem areas - I've hated them at every weight, fat or thin. :-(
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about my tummy flab. I just try not to WAVE at anyone! heehee. I do lots of arm weights and they are toning....but I am over 50 soooooo I know there will be wings. I go crazy on The Biggest Loser when they do (enevitably) the famous body builder pose to show off their biceps! The floppy wings just overpower those beautiful biceps! Don't they watch last season's show? Haven't they seen it a million times....WHY DO THEY FLEX? giggle. I, because I am observant.....do NOT WAVE! just smile, nod my head and be SOOO thankful those wings are no longer stuffed with FAT.
  • Belenmc
    Belenmc Posts: 15
    Options
    Bingo wings we call them.

I've been doing kettlebells and my arms are more toned, but I think it's a bit like stretchmarks, down to genes and luck lol
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump for all answers. I am a Nanna who needs this info. Tks for sharing
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I'm more worried about my tummy flab. I just try not to WAVE at anyone! heehee. I do lots of arm weights and they are toning....but I am over 50 soooooo I know there will be wings. I go crazy on The Biggest Loser when they do (enevitably) the famous body builder pose to show off their biceps! The floppy wings just overpower those beautiful biceps! Don't they watch last season's show? Haven't they seen it a million times....WHY DO THEY FLEX? giggle. I, because I am observant.....do NOT WAVE! just smile, nod my head and be SOOO thankful those wings are no longer stuffed with FAT.

sooo cute Scub!