need some low carb, high protein foods

Options
k011185
k011185 Posts: 320 Member
I have never eaten low carb before, but due to all sorts of 'fun' health issues my dr wants me to try high protein and low carb for a couple months to see if it helps. (under 60 grams carbs, min 155 grams protein).

I know eggs and protein shakes are obvious choices, and I don't have a hard time getting protein from meats. I didn't think I would have a hard time with it, but I'm realizing things like black beans that I usually use for protein, are pretty high in carbs.

I don't really want to be eating nothing but meat and cheese, I'm sure there are plenty of options, I'm just having no luck finding them.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, salad, nuts, seeds, berries

Edit to add, I just went for the low carb in my example
  • plaz58
    plaz58 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Take a look at "The Belly Fat Cure" by Jorge Cruise. There are lots of ways to cut down on carbs and eat so you are not hungry
  • boltsfan704
    Options
    Turkey Jerky all day long!!
  • verbalriot
    Options
    Tofu and tempeh.

Check out peasandthankyou.com for recipe ideas
  • WoodsyMama
    WoodsyMama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Non-fat greek yogurt (plain) with 1 tsp. honey mixed with 1 cup of fruit is delicious. High protein, low carbs.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Green leafty vegetables--spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, etc.
    Berries, lemons, and limes are pretty low-sugar fruit.
    Try all kinds of meat--pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, tuna, salmon, trout, vension...lots to try!
    Tons of dairy too...cheese, some kinds of greek yogurt, unsweetened milk and almond milk.
    Nuts in moderation (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashews) and seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, etc.).
    Olives are tasty.
    They also make many speciality low-carb breads, wraps, snack bars, etc.

I don't do low-carb but one of my friends enjoys it. Track your carbs and plan out your meals ahead of time...should help.
  • 2dogmom
    2dogmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PLAIN Greek yogurt. Add berries (fresh or frozen) for flavor - they will add some carbs but also fiber.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Fish, lean beef, chicken, eggs (particularly egg whites), lean pork, other lean meats.

If you're truly trying to do a high protein macro, there's not really much else you can eat outside of those and powders to not throw your macros off.

Protein is a tough macronutrient to hit when you go over 30%.

My diet is pretty suppliment heavy, but you're welcome to cruise it for ideas. My macros are set at 30/40/30 carbs/protein/fat.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe try making a protein shake with a powder you like and some unsweetened almond milk?