To Wii or Not To Wii - That is the question!

Options
So, I've been reading the messages on this board about folks using their Wii systems for things like Wii Fit, Jillian's Wii workout thing, and so on and am really starting to like the idea of buying a system. Now, I do go to the gym but only for the pool. I swim competitively so I do killer swim workouts three times a week and water aerobics twice a week. But, I would like something to do on the off days because I love to EAT!!! I do have severe rheumatoid arthritis with very limited mobility in my joints; that is why I do not do Pilates or any other aerobic classes at the gym as I cannot get up and down from the floor, sit on my knees, or do push-ups, etc. I figure with a Wii, I can adjust the workouts at home, have furniture for up/down assistance, and can stop the program to take rest breaks as needed for my joints.

Would it be worth the investment for a Wii? Does anyone share the kind of situation I am in (physically speaking) and could recommend some good Wii programs? I'm prepared to buy some light hand weights and resistance bands (unless it comes with the Wii program). Running on treadmills, spinning on exercise bikes, and breaking my knees on ellipticals is out of the question, so any advice would be great!!!!

BTW, I love this site!!! I'm even getting my mom back on board with getting healthy, eating right, and exercising!!!!

Replies

• GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    I went back and forth for so long about purchasing the Wii. My mom wanted it to help her become more active, and workout ,etc. And I was really skeptical that it would really do the trick. So we finally decided to get one since I figured it may not a great workout, but for her (63, diabetic, arthritis, etc) it would be better than nothing at all. We play the tennis game all the time (The game pack that is included with the Wii) and that alone gets us sweating...and the boxing too!

Anyway, we also bought the Wii fit, and EA Active to go along with it. I haven't tried the Wii fit yet, but I tested out the EA active to see what sort of workout it would be. It is AWESOME! I mean, I workout quite a bit, so I figured it wouldn't do much, but I was breathing hard and dripping sweat by the end of it! It has a lot of movement exercises, but they are really slow and if you stop, so does the trainer, so you don't have to find the remote, pause it, etc. Also, other than the begining where it has you run in place, it is pretty low impact (Oh, and you can choose if you want it to be low, moderate, or high impact). It is tailored for you personally, because you can either choose the preset workouts, or choose a bunch of different exercises to creat your own personal workout. Like I said, I haven't done the Wii Fit yet, but I've heard that one is pretty good too.

So, very long winded story short. I was extremely unsure about this purchase, but it is deffinately worth the money!!

Hope this helps. :drinker:
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's so fun you don't even notice you're burning calories.
    Buy it for fun. You'll get fitness in return.
    Don't buy it for fitness alone. :wink: Classifying it as another "fitness machine" could make it sit in a corner collecting dust. If you understand what I mean.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I would definitely make the leap for a Wii. I think Wii Fit Plus & Biggest Loser would be a great match for you to workout to on your lighter days. Wii Fit Plus is especially good for the days you don't feel very well. The games on there are easy. It even has Yoga & Strength Training, which both have movements that are very low impact.
    Treat yourself to one for Christmas from Santa! ;)
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly my mom is getting the wii for me as an xmas gift and I really didn't even know if I wanted the wii. Now I have a reason so I have to buy the biggest loser wii and workouts for wii since I'm getting the console. I really want my whole family to play games together but you have to buy every small friggin thing that adds up criminies! I'll let you know how it goes lol. Good luck on your choice!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, shells. You can all do workouts together with only 1 of you holding the Wii Mote, it just won't log them. When my hubby does his workout on the Wii, I sorta act as a spotter, and let him know if he's doing it right. Also, if you get Wii Sports, there are a few games that you all can play together using only 1 Wii Mote (Bowling is a prime example) HTH!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I really think I'm going to buy one. I too, would like to get my family more involved with the fun side of fitness and I think this would work. Even on days when my mom is too tired to go to the gym after work, she can come home and play tennis on the Wii for half an hour....what a great start!

Oh, and to the gal getting th Wii for Christmas and is worried about all of the gadgets that will be necessary to buy, please keep me posted if you really do wind up buying all of the stuff and what particular games you buy. Thanks guys!
  • LETusDINEonAIR
    Options
    I have wii fit and while it is a good way to exersize, it does not replace the gym. It is a good way to burn calories if you can't make it to the gym one day, but don't expect fast results if the wii fit is all you are going to play. I'm getting the Biggest Loser game for wii for Christmas, so I'm not sure about that, but in the long run going to the gym is going to give you better results faster, but the wii fit is better than nothing.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    funny story.....If you get the wii make sure to use the arm strap while bowling. My daughter was playing at my mom's house on the fourth of July with the wii bowling game.She ended up shooting the controler into my mom's new 60 inch LCD TV. July 5th- I bought my mom a new TV LOL. This story wasnt funny when it happened, but I can laugh about it now- home owners insurance paid for it :):laugh:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    We joined the ranks of Wii owners. Santa is bringing one to our home this year. I hope dd and ds can actually get along long enough to play and it can be a fun way to spend family time together. I am excited about it!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Well, I have Wii-ed!!! Went out and bought the system today. Super easy set up. And what a BLAST!!! I had my fiancee and my mom in there playing the Wii Sports. The boxing and baseball had me working up a sweat. After an hour and a half, my arms and abs are super sore. And I thought I was in shape from swimming so much! I will be adding EA Sports Active and The Biggest Loser to my Wii collection tomorrow. SSOOO glad I made the purchase and look forward to working out at home now!
  • s76smith
    Options
    I strongly recommend the Wii fit plus. It has alot more to offer than the first Wii fit. I also have Wii active and active more programs.I love it. It has different scenery and more different exercise that was not on the other game My next toy will be Jenny McCarthy with the camera on top of the tv. Excited about this. I also have about 15 different walking programs with Leslie Sansone. She is awesome too. You do what you can and congratulate yourself on what you finished. Hope I helped. Sue
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the EA Sports Active, More Workouts, Gold's Cardio Boxing, and the Wii Fit Plus. I only bought the Wii for the exercise games on days I can't or don't feel like driving to the gym. My favorites are More Workouts, EA Sports, Golds, and then Wii Fit Plus. They all have a place but for me the EA series is the most bang for the time I spend playing the games. LOVE the investment.