Protein shakes and when to drink them.

Options
After reading a few things on here, I've decided to join the Eat More to Lose More revolution!

This scares me to death. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept BUT I figure, I'm not losing anything by restricting to 1200, so I might as well try more calories, right? I have to admit though, a part of my brain is saying, if this is how you look when you work out and eat 1200, how terrible are you going to look when you eat MORE!

Anyway, I decided I would start off just by adding a protein shake to my daily regime. So here is my question: Does it matter when I drink the shake? Is it best to drink in the morning, afternoon, before bed? Does it matter?

Replies

• andrewlazenby
    Options
    I drink them right after I work out.

I figure of all times my body can use it, its then.
  • OAvalos
    OAvalos Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I drink one in the morning way before my breakfast and one right after my workout. Good luck, I started the eat more to weight less, and i've been lossing slowly but surely. More inches than anything though, so don't for get to mesure yourself.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The best time is right after a tough workout so your body can immediately use the protein to start rebuilding your muscles. They are also great for a quick, healthy snack if you're feeling hungry and water hasn't helped stave off your hunger pangs.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me but after workout is great too.

Make sure you are getting one with 25 or more grams of protein and less than 200 calories.

Also watch the sugar and water, all protein shakes are not the same!!!!

Also, make sure you drink your water, it is a must when increasing protein!!!

Best of Luck!!!
  • rn299
    rn299 Posts: 2
    Options
    There is roughly a 30 min gap after hard exercise where your body need to replace the glycogen in your muscles. Having around 150-200 cals of high G.I drink (watered down fruit juice) and a protein shake is perfect to get the maximum out of your work out. This is most important if you are working out every day as you'll find you can do so much more, much more often.

Good luck with it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would drink your protein shake whenever it's most convenient.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I drink them right after a workout. If I only workout once that day, then I'll drink one for a snack later in the evening. I drink milk with mine.

One time, I went all wild and crazy and drank a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of strawberry...all at one time...and it wasn't even after a workout!

Man, I'm a wild and crazy gal lol.
  • ZSherrill
    Options
    Shortly after work-out, followed by a glass of water.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I purchased a container of chocolate protein powder, mixed it with coffee and drank after my run for the day. Once the container was empty, I did not replace it because I felt water was sufficient instead of a coffee shake. I believe in getting my protein from more typical sources, e.g. meat, eggs, etc. You also need to check the sugar content in these drinks. Know what your are consuming...
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would drink your protein shake whenever it's most convenient.

I'd also listen to Sidesteal, if I were you.
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have mine for breakfast and sometimes have another one post workout if I am hungry or don't feel like cooking.