I am the egg man, I am the egg man, I Am the Walrus!

Options
So I typically buy two packs of 36 eggs from Costco for a total of 72. Comes out to $8, great deal =)

Takes up a lot of room in the fridge. So I had the bright idea of cracking the eggs, throw the yolk out, and storing the egg whites in tall Tupperware containers. Personally I don't see the difference, your really just trading one shell for another. I keep my Tupperware clean.

But my friend is telling me that there is a good chance I'll get sick from this. What do you guys think?

Replies

• nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    the uncracked eggs last much longer than a cracked egg. Cracked egg whites in the fridge are likely only good for a few days. I would freeze the opened egg whites in ice cube trays or something else that makes sense for you as far as portions. Once they are frozen you can combine them all in a tupperware of freezer bag to conserve space.

Do a google search for "storing egg white". I am sure the internets is full of information on the subject.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I definitely was misled into this thread.. the title got my hopes up.. I buy egg whites and get about 30 for $8 so you are getting a good deal if you can keep them fresh.
  • miamimanni
    Options
    I definitely was misled into this thread.. the title got my hopes up.. I buy egg whites and get about 30 for $8 so you are getting a good deal if you can keep them fresh.

LOL, sorry, beatles reference, but it was actually about eggs
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why get rid of the yolks?
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I personally get rid of them(mostly) because they're high in fat and calories which you want to keep low when losing fat.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    if you have a cool place to store them outside the fridge you can put a light coat of mineral oil on each egg and they will safely store for up to like 6 months out of the fridge
  • miamimanni
    Options
    the uncracked eggs last much longer than a cracked egg. Cracked egg whites in the fridge are likely only good for a few days. I would freeze the opened egg whites in ice cube trays or something else that makes sense for you as far as portions. Once they are frozen you can combine them all in a tupperware of freezer bag to conserve space.

Do a google search for "storing egg white". I am sure the internets is full of information on the subject.

Good advice, that's exactly what I'm going to do =)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I personally get rid of them(mostly) because they're high in fat and calories which you want to keep low when losing fat.

But the yolk also contains most of the nutrients that make eggs worth eating..........the yolk has been given a bad rap over the years and there is a considerable body of evidence that supports eating the whole egg. At 72 cal for a large egg (50g) I'd be hesitant to call that "high" in calories.

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/ask-diet-doctor-egg-whites-vs-whole-eggs
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    At 72 cal for a large egg (50g) I'd be hesitant to call that "high" in calories.

It is for me.