Losing 1 lb or more in 24 hours

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    "To add to that, there is approximately 3500 calories in 1 pound of fat. If you were to lose that 1 pound of fat in 24 hours, you would have to burn at least 7000 calories MORE than what you ate. For the average person, that would be more than 10 hours of moderately hard exercise... If you think you lost a pound of fat, think again... "

Just wondering why I would have to burn 7000 more than I eat to lose one pound. That does not make sense to me.

It's from what I said earlier in the post: When you workout, at most, 50% of the calories you burn are from fat. 50% of 7000 is 3500, which = 1 lb of fat.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    I LIKE THIS POST!!!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Most of this I already knew....or partly knew, but it was all great information. Thanks for sharing this!
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    I do... I weigh before a hard bike ride and after to make sure that I am drinking enough. Even with as much as I do take in while riding, I still am normally a pound or two low in water that I need to make up.

That said, the only weigh in I count is the one on Monday Morning.
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! My feed is littered with people panicking because they weigh themselves every day, or even multiple times a day, and they go on this melt down of how could they have possibly gained weight, etc. etc. So, once again, thank you.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    "To add to that, there is approximately 3500 calories in 1 pound of fat. If you were to lose that 1 pound of fat in 24 hours, you would have to burn at least 7000 calories MORE than what you ate. For the average person, that would be more than 10 hours of moderately hard exercise... If you think you lost a pound of fat, think again... "

Just wondering why I would have to burn 7000 more than I eat to lose one pound. That does not make sense to me.

It's from what I said earlier in the post: When you workout, at most, 50% of the calories you burn are from fat. 50% of 7000 is 3500, which = 1 lb of fat.

I don't believe MFP agrees with you on this part. They assign a burn of 3,500 per week over what a person has eaten to equal loss of one pound. I am not a nutritionist or other expert, but everything I have read supports this...including personal experience. That being said, the rest of your post is spot-on. I even put on muscle fast (especially for a girl) but 1 pound in a day...absolutely no way. Now if steroids are thrown in there...idk...no experience there.
  • leanneb205
    Options
    i love this post. Hate seeing people like OMG I WENT OVER MY CALS BY 200 AND NOW IM LIKE 2LB HEAVIER THAN THIS MORNING!
    Glad you're getting this out there!
  • chivalryder
    Options

I don't believe MFP agrees with you on this part. They assign a burn of 3,500 per week over what a person has eaten to equal loss of one pound. I am not a nutritionist or other expert, but everything I have read supports this...including personal experience. That being said, the rest of your post is spot-on. I even put on muscle fast (especially for a girl) but 1 pound in a day...absolutely no way. Now if steroids are thrown in there...idk...no experience there.

I will agree with this for one reason - they tell you have a deficit of 3500 calories *over a period of 1 week.* How your body processes calroies over an extended period of time is very different from how it reacts when it needs extra calories right away. If you burned off those extra 3500 calories in 12 hours, as opposed to 7 days, you would not lose a pound of fat. It would burn off your glycogen stores first, then it will start eating away your muscles before it started to eat away your fat.

If it is a long, slow burn, over a week or longer, then your body will have time to digest the calories slower, and then it will target fat first, because it knows it needs the muscles to function properly. There's no immediate need for the calories, so it can take it's time at breaking down the cells into usable energy.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I will agree with this for one reason - they tell you have a deficit of 3500 calories *over a period of 1 week.* How your body processes calroies over an extended period of time is very different from how it reacts when it needs extra calories right away. If you burned off those extra 3500 calories in 12 hours, as opposed to 7 days, you would not lose a pound of fat. It would burn off your glycogen stores first, then it will start eating away your muscles before it started to eat away your fat.

If it is a long, slow burn, over a week or longer, then your body will have time to digest the calories slower, and then it will target fat first, because it knows it needs the muscles to function properly. There's no immediate need for the calories, so it can take it's time at breaking down the cells into usable energy.
    Hmm...What happens if there is not enough glycogen stored? I am thinking "Biggest Loser" type setting...low calorie intake and high levels of activity. With the low calorie intake, the glycogen stores cannot be adequately replenished, right? See, if my high school/college biology classes would have gotten into this stuff...maybe, just maybe, I'd have been more interested in the sciences...but I digress.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Hmm...What happens if there is not enough glycogen stored? I am thinking "Biggest Loser" type setting...low calorie intake and high levels of activity. With the low calorie intake, the glycogen stores cannot be adequately replenished, right? See, if my high school/college biology classes would have gotten into this stuff...maybe, just maybe, I'd have been more interested in the sciences...but I digress.

I can't say anything with regards to the "biggest loser" scenarios, but those are very extreme circumstances. It is easier to lose weight when you're heavier. I don't know the reasons why, because I haven't researched any of that before (becuase I've never weighed more than 240 lbs). It simply hasn't been of importance to me. Feel free to look it up and post the answer on here, if you can find it.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    very true advice, i only weigh once a week when dieting and monthly (or less) when i'm not as i know i fluctuate day to day and a pound up or down one day to the next is nothing to panic about :)
  • EmpathyBot
    EmpathyBot Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is pretty awesome. Just saying.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Great post! I weigh myself daily but only record it once a week. I do daily to keep myself on track and accountable for what goes into my body. For what ever mental reason, this works for me.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Now, I just checked out the numbers, and found that 1 pound of water is 500 mL (or 0.264 Gallons, for you American folks). That's a mere 2 cups. Less than 2 glasses.

Just for clarification on this (I'm not contesting the figures BTW)

500ml of water will weigh 500g (1.1lb)
  • gdrum3581
    gdrum3581 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great post. I think I knew most of the facts presented...just hadn't tied them all together. I like it when other people do that for me. HAHA.

So, I'm just starting back into weight loss mode after hitting the 240lb mark. However, a few years ago, I was at this same 240lb mark and I joined a weight watchers class for 10 weeks in an effort to get down to 190 so that I could get into officer training school (OTS). During those 10 weeks I did follow the point system pretty successfully and I did include 1hr aerobic classes (~3days/week). I also weighed myself daily (every morning). In general I saw 2lbs of loss every 3days (in the beginning) and then by the 5th or 6th week I was down to 1lb every 2days. Now I wasn't doing anything crazy with my exercise and hit my points pretty much every day.

So my question is, does OP's discussion explain this experience? It seems the OP's discussion (which is perfectly logical and I would subscribe to it) discredits the ability to loose weght on the order of 5 lbs/week. What am I lacking?

Since I hope to reattack this weight loss challange and stick to it as I did a few years ago, I'll share my current info. I'm a 31yr old male. 235 lbs (as of this morning). Office worker. Beer drinker. TV watcher.

See you guys around...

Gary
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is pretty awesome. Just saying.

^ THIS!! Great post, thanks for sharing
  • Miggy52
    Miggy52 Posts: 164
    Options
    Thanks for posting very informative...t
  • happychic
    happychic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great information!! Thanks
  • SJScobie
    SJScobie Posts: 63
    Options
    Ive been on MFP for 115 days and this post has just explained so much for me!

Thank you for posting!
  • tanjamorris123
    Options
    Great post, well explained. More people should take it into consideration!