Offering me chocolate is like offering an alcoholic a beer.

Options
I am a food addict. That is as real as being addicted to alcohol or any drug. The difference is that I have to eat everyday to nourish my body and have to make conscious choices everytime I put something in my mouth. Do you get that? I am a food addict, but I have to eat food every day. Every choice I make about food going into my body has to be made with my addiction in mind.

Does the alcoholic or crackhead have to endure such torture? No. Do they have to drink a little whiskey everyday, with the expectation of not being drunk? Does the crackhead have to take one hit off their pipe but not get high? No.

It seems that no one truly appreciates the fact that food addictions are real. Don't offer me a piece of chocolate and say, "It's only one piece." because you wouldn't say "It's only one line" to a cocaine addict would you? Please try to be (more) sensitive to those struggling with food addiction if you hadn't given it serious thought before reading this.

Replies

• socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is what i try SO hard to explain to my husband!..... he just doesn't get it.

We used to smoke cigarettes and he used Nicorette to quit and had a hard time of it. i quit cold turkey. he kept asking me how i did it... He couldn't understand that cigarettes were not my real addiction so it was easy to stop.

NOTHING will ever be as hard to handle as my food addiction.
  • cookadook
    Options
    I also quit smoking cold turkey. And I smoked for 25 years. Not just a social smoker, but a full on smoker and just couldn't afford it anymore. But if someone puts a piece of cheesecake, or peanut butter cups, or a million other things that I would die for right now... in my face, I don't have the will power to "eat with moderation" or to enjoy just one piece/slice/bite. I feel the need to devour all that I can eat until I am on the verge of being in pain from being so full. Now, let me just clarify that it is not always like that. When I wasn't dieting, i just everything I wanted without thinking of consequences and it was normal sized portions of unhealthy food. Now I'm working on lifestyle change and eating the right portions of healthier foods. I have to deprive myself of my trigger foods as I do not have the self control to only have a small amount. Just like a meth addict can't take just one hit and then sit there staring at the pipe. People just don't recognize that food addiction is real.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I am sorry that people are not taking your food addiction seriously. I am also sorry that you are minimizing others' addictions, as they have done to you, and that you didn't like. As a recovering alcoholic/drug addict/crack head (thanks) I also developed a food addiction. So yes I know what it is like, and I do sympathize with ANYONE with ANY addiction, which is something that I think you should work on before you before typing.

I feel that ANY addiction is difficult to quit, because it is the psychological factors behind addictions that need to be treated. So please do not act like any addiction is harder than others, when you obviously do not know others' struggles. We are all supposed to be in this together, not arguing which addiction is harder to beat, we have enough struggling to do. If you are going to vent you should try to keep others' innocent feelings in mind, b/c you obviously do not like it when others' don't keep yours in mind.

Thanks.
    Sobriety of 3 years
    Ex-smoker, from 2.5 years
    Ex-pepsi addict, 1 year and 2 months
    Trying to break binging habits.

A drug is a drug is a drug.
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    As someone who has binge eating disorder and is a drug and alcohol counselor...your post has some aspects of truth as well as some insensitive stupidity. A drug is a drug is a drug. Everyone is different. Cocaine may not have linked up with your brain like it may have for others but food did. You're facing the same struggles they go through. i'd go on but no need to write a book. I think I got point across
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    I am sorry that people are not taking your food addiction seriously. I am also sorry that you are minimizing others' addictions, as they have done to you, and that you didn't like. As a recovering alcoholic/drug addict/crack head (thanks) I also developed a food addiction. So yes I know what it is like, and I do sympathize with ANYONE with ANY addiction, which is something that I think you should work on before you before typing.

THIS.

-recovering alcoholic/heroin addict/meth addict. 2 years sober. Also, I struggle with an eating disorder, and trust me, chocolate is not the same as meth. This whole thread is offensive.
  • Foodie711711
    Options
    Oh and to add to the poster above me...most (generalizing but true) who decide to stop using drugs turn to either smoking ciggs or eating more food.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options

I feel that ANY addiction is difficult to quit, because it is the psychological factors behind addictions that need to be treated. So please do not act like any addiction is harder than others, when you obviously do not know others' struggles. We are all supposed to be in this together, not arguing which addiction is harder to beat, we have enough struggling to do. If you are going to vent you should try to keep others' innocent feelings in mind, b/c you obviously do not like it when others' don't keep yours in mind.

Thanks.
    Sobriety of 3 years
    Ex-smoker, from 2.5 years
    Ex-pepsi addict, 1 year and 2 months
    Trying to break binging habits.

A drug is a drug is a drug.

:flowerforyou:
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I understand your analogy... food is not something you can't just stay away from or "quit."

Hang in there... keep fighting.
  • Foodie711711
    Options
    Congrats to those of you in recovery. It is definitely something to be proud of!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict and it is only recently that my husband of 27 years kind of' gets it ! I have reached my goal weight and everyday is still a struggle not to overeat. I still want all those things I shouldn't have, but not in moderation. I still WANT the whole box instead of just one piece.I can go off the deep end in the blink of an eye. I use a deep religious faith to keep me from giving in to the devil and keep my body fit and healthy.
  • happythermia
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. I know a lot of people say "All things in moderation" (myself included), but for some people that just doesn't work!

YOU have to know what works for you - and it sounds like you really do! Stay strong!!
  • socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is what i try SO hard to explain to my husband!..... he just doesn't get it.

We used to smoke cigarettes and he used Nicorette to quit and had a hard time of it. i quit cold turkey. he kept asking me how i did it... He couldn't understand that cigarettes were not my real addiction so it was easy to stop.

okay i thought this was implied but i guess not...

Nothing will ever be as hard [For Me] to handle as my food addiction.........

and i don't think either of us are down playing other addictions .... just that a person can't get away from food....

My dad was a coke addict and moved away to get away from the drug and those around him who did it.....

I want to know how can i move away from food? never buy food? Never smell food? (i do want honest suggestions here, willing to try almost anything)

I know it takes will power, motivation, and determination... no matter what your addiction is and anyone who can get away from his or her addiction is awesome in my book......
  • Foodie711711
    Options
    Environment plays a role but drugs are out there everywhere. If an addict wants it bad enough they'll find out where to get it from. Same as food. People may make it easier on themselves by only keeping healthy food in the house however, if they want junk they know where to get it. Will power and the desire to change is what plays a role. Yes its hard but thats why you have the tools such as MFP and a support system (same as rehab and group for drug/alcohol addicts). No matter what you're addicted to you're never fully recovered. You're recovering...meaning on going process. You'll eventually get to where it's easier and best of luck to you
  • nade0069
    nade0069 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

okay i thought this was implied but i guess not...

Nothing will ever be as hard [For Me] to handle as my food addiction.........

and i don't think either of us are down playing other addictions .... just that a person can't get away from food....

My dad was a coke addict and moved away to get away from the drug and those around him who did it.....

I want to know how can i move away from food? never buy food? Never smell food? (i do want honest suggestions here, willing to try almost anything)

I know it takes will power, motivation, and determination... no matter what your addiction is and anyone who can get away from his or her addiction is awesome in my book......

This is a hard process and friends are the key. If you can't control yourself around certain foods don't keep them in the house. It may be hard to not purchase them in the first place so bring afriend or loved one (someone who truly understands how important this is to you) when you go shopping for food. If you find yourself alone at home and having a really bad craving call up that person and have them talk you off the ledge. Food addiction is real, and like other addictions it is something that you will have to work at every day for the rest of your life and you can not do it alone. Good luck to you (and to any one else dealing with any kind of addiction).
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

THIS.

-recovering alcoholic/heroin addict/meth addict. 2 years sober. Also, I struggle with an eating disorder, and trust me, chocolate is not the same as meth. This whole thread is offensive.

^THIS. I sympathize with feeling as if you are addicted to food, and I don't mean to be insensitive because it is a hard struggle, and one that I certainly wish you all the best with, but I'd just like to point out that drug and alcohol addiction is not the same as food addiction.

If you look at scans of addicted brains (to drugs and/or alcohol) and compare them to brains of individuals who claim to be addicted to food you can literally see a difference. When you do anything that feels good, including eating, a small amount of dopamine is released in your brain - this is an evolutionary mechanism designed to keep the species going, we keep eating because it feels good. When you take drugs the effect is different, sometimes dopamine is involved sometimes its not but that's not the point, drugs typically do more than just initiate a dopamine or other release, they inhibit re-uptake inhibitors so it stays in the cells for longer causing a longer effect or reverse the re-uptake inhibitors shuffling it the wrong way essentially flooding cells. Essentially, the process I've described here is the difference between being high and really enjoying something, and between the physiological aspects of, addiction and non-addiction.

I'm not discounting an emotional addiction, which I'm really not qualified to speak about but anecdotally I believe is quite possible, but physiologically there are effects on the brain from drug and alcohol use, and addiction, that simply are not present from food intake.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Environment plays a role but drugs are out there everywhere. If an addict wants it bad enough they'll find out where to get it from. Same as food. People may make it easier on themselves by only keeping healthy food in the house however, if they want junk they know where to get it. Will power and the desire to change is what plays a role. Yes its hard but thats why you have the tools such as MFP and a support system (same as rehab and group for drug/alcohol addicts). No matter what you're addicted to you're never fully recovered. You're recovering...meaning on going process. You'll eventually get to where it's easier and best of luck to you

This.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Actually people DO offer the alcoholic or drug addict "just one glass of wine", "just one beer" or whatever ALL the time.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this is why i do low carb. i can eat all my allowed foods and be okay. (and lose weight)
    the second i start eating starchy, carby, sugary foods.. i have zero self control.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict. That is as real as being addicted to alcohol or any drug. The difference is that I have to eat everyday to nourish my body and have to make conscious choices everytime I put something in my mouth. Do you get that? I am a food addict, but I have to eat food every day. Every choice I make about food going into my body has to be made with my addiction in mind.

Does the alcoholic or crackhead have to endure such torture? No. Do they have to drink a little whiskey everyday, with the expectation of not being drunk? Does the crackhead have to take one hit off their pipe but not get high? No.

It seems that no one truly appreciates the fact that food addictions are real. Don't offer me a piece of chocolate and say, "It's only one piece." because you wouldn't say "It's only one line" to a cocaine addict would you? Please try to be (more) sensitive to those struggling with food addiction if you hadn't given it serious thought before reading this.

^ This right here.

Sometimes I detest eating and wish I could take pills that filled me up for the whole day and provided me with complete nutrition.

Like today I had three scoops of ice-cream and felt so guilty, that it f*cked up my emotions for the rest of the day.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've taken the first step and admitted you are powerless over your addiction. That's how you feel, right?

Get yourself to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. They DO understand. Get yourself some help instead of complaining and being a victim.

There is help. You can beat this.