Relief for sore muscles

Options
So here's the deal. I've been walking walking about an hour almost every night; either on the road or on the Tred Climber. I've only lost 1/2 pound for the last 2 weeks. For the past 2 days I've been working out with the Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout along with my walk. My legs are so sore I'm not sure if I'm pushing myself too much or if I should keep pushing on. If so any suggestions how to ease the pain?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to rest, or maybe just lessen the intensity at which you work out.

It also helps if you are eating enough protein. I used to struggle with being sore, but I have found just the right level to push myself at.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Well done so far! Sorry to hear about the pain .

Don't let the scales discourage you.

I am no medic but have heard that the sore muscles are likely to be swollen - inflamed and holding water - while they hurt. They are probably masking your actual weight loss.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    ice...works every time.
    ETA: ice before heat please!!! I just had to add that after reading the subsequent posts.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have not done that video but when I did 30DS I was horribly sore the first 3 days. I pushed through & felt mych better on day 4. If you are just sore & not injured I say keep going. For me it seemed to get better the more I kept moving. If I sat for any period of time I got real sore.
  • texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Vick's Vapor rub on your legs after a walk or before you go to bed helps me a lot.

Your body is working hard and you need to determine if it is just regular workout burn/pain or is it may be you are tensing up when you walk or workout (i am guilty of this) and make adjustments. If you fall out of bed the next day instead of being able to get up and walk out of bed, then you may have pushed yourself too hard on the workout.

Do not get discouraged. Something else that may help is the kind of scale you have...I don't feel so bad being able to see the percentage of water, bone density, etc that other scales display as part of the weight.
  • fpadojino
    fpadojino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    soak in a warm bath with epsom salt. simple and can provide a lot of relief.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Excessive soreness is very common in the 1-2 weeks following a dramatic increase in activity level. It's called DOMS, and it sucks. Your body will learn to handle it soon. Get plenty of protein, stay hydrated, take a multivitamin, and give yourself adequate rest.

Also, swollen muscles absolutely mask weight loss, so don't be discouraged.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As long as it is soreness in the muscles and not in the joints, it's good pain. work through it, keep pushing, and it will lessen as your body gets used to it. Treat the pain itself as needed, make sure you drink plenty of water, and remind yourself that the pain comes from your body working hard and burning up energy to give you muscle tissue.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    A nice hot bath might help increase circulation and alleviate some of the soreness...
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    A nice hot shower always works for me.. and I just lay down and chill out. I also have deep heat and a ice spray. If I am at my fiances he would give me a massage (If I am lucky lol).

Usually if I have a rest week, I lose more than a workout week. Try a rest.
  • chermath66
    chermath66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.I will skip the video today and just walk.Then a hot bath. Tomorrow I will go back to the video and walk.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I stretch really well after running it helps me not to be soo sore. I'd give that a try.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Agree with the poster who mentioned epsom salt soaks. The magnesium in epsom salts really helps relieve my soreness. I ruptured 3 disks in my lower back a few years ago and even after surgery, still have pain in my leg from nerve damage which can worsen temporarily with exercise. Epsom salt soaks and alternating heat and ice are my go to items for soreness.

Since it isn't always convenient to soak in the bathtub every time I'm sore, I also keep something on hand called 'magnesium oil' which you can spray on your sore spots directly, and it really does help.
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I like a scoop of protein powder with 8oz of water right before bed. I always feel much better the next day!
  • ValTheRizzle
    ValTheRizzle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've used arnica and had good success with it.