Half marathon advice/tips?

Options
Hey all!

I am working towards my goal of a half marathon by the end of the year! I can currently run 6 miles in 56 minutes. Any tips or advice anyone would like to share to help me on my path? What's the average time to complete one? How often should I be running to make my goal? Any experiences to share? Thanks!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You might take a look in the groups. I'm pretty sure there's a half marathon support group. If your questions haven't already been answered, you can ask people in the know in that forum.

I completed my first half marathon in January. It took me 2:42, but I'm slow. :)
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh awesome! Thanks for filling me in! Congrats on your first 1/2!
  • amandask66
    amandask66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would suggest checking out websites to get training programs. Runnersworld.com and halhidgon.com both have good beginner plans. I am just getting back into running. I have run several halfs but they were a few years ago. My times ranged from 1:54:00 to 2:06:00. I'm planning on running one in the early part of 2013. I'll send you a friend request maybe we can help each other out.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half as well (end of Sept). There are lots of plans out there - Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, Runner's World, etc. I did a lot of research and kind of came up with my own plan - I run 3 days a week. Shorter (4-6 miles) during the week, and a long slower run on the weekend. My weekday runs are around 10 min per mile, and my long runs are more like 11:20 per mile. I am still a new runner, so my pace has been improving a lot, so hopefully I can get that pace faster for the 1/2. This Saturday I plan on 10 miles (did 9.5 last weekend). I am hoping to finish a 1/2 in under 2 1/2 hours, maybe 2 1/4 hours. The one I am running has some good hills, so maybe on the longer side. Several sites have some good calculators to predict your time based on current times for other distances (I think they are overly optimistic - but it gives you an idea, anyway).

Here is one I like:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

If you find a race you are interested in, you can usually find last years results somewhere on the internet to give you an idea of average times.
  • ndearing0501
    Options
    I would suggest checking out websites to get training programs. Runnersworld.com and halhidgon.com both have good beginner plans. I am just getting back into running. I have run several halfs but they were a few years ago. My times ranged from 1:54:00 to 2:06:00. I'm planning on running one in the early part of 2013. I'll send you a friend request maybe we can help each other out.

Great time!! Friend request accepted! : )
  • ndearing0501
    Options
    I am training for my first half as well (end of Sept). There are lots of plans out there - Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, Runner's World, etc. I did a lot of research and kind of came up with my own plan - I run 3 days a week. Shorter (4-6 miles) during the week, and a long slower run on the weekend. My weekday runs are around 10 min per mile, and my long runs are more like 11:20 per mile. I am still a new runner, so my pace has been improving a lot, so hopefully I can get that pace faster for the 1/2. This Saturday I plan on 10 miles (did 9.5 last weekend). I am hoping to finish a 1/2 in under 2 1/2 hours, maybe 2 1/4 hours. The one I am running has some good hills, so maybe on the longer side. Several sites have some good calculators to predict your time based on current times for other distances (I think they are overly optimistic - but it gives you an idea, anyway).

Here is one I like:

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

If you find a race you are interested in, you can usually find last years results somewhere on the internet to give you an idea of average times.

Ah! Thank you so much!! This will help alot! Never thought to look at previous times either! Great idea! Thanks again and good luck with your 1/2! You will do great! Just having a goal to do one is great in itself!
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Train at the pace you intend to run at, and three days before your race load up on cards so you will have the energy you need to run. I would say if you can do a 10 mile run the week before then you are ready to run. good luck, I got one coming up Oct 27
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Congrats for your first half! You are off to a GREAT start.

I think I used the Hal Higdon beginner plan when I first started.

You've already got some great advice! My best advice is to CROSS TRAIN. You really don't have to run all the time to prepare for a race. The cross training will help you reach your goals and protect your body from injury. Cross training includes pretty much everything: cross cardio, plyometrics, weight lifting, even walking. I took up swimming last fall and it has done wonders for my heart and lungs.

For my first half marathon, I was surprised to find how emotionally strenuous it was. I was anxious and nervous and doubtful. Got a shin splint. I made it, though. Just don't be surprised if you're reduced to tears from time to time!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I completed my first half last year (2:28). I am training for my second one in September. I run 3 times a week, shorter runs weekdays, long run Saturday. Following my own version of Hal Higdon's novice training program. I strength train on off run days. I really don't run for time. I run by how my body feels that particular day. I put no pressure on myself to run at a certain pace at any given time. I run by the beat of my music sometimes... I know lots of people do speed work, fartleks, etc... I really don't want to have to think about it that much. The only pressure I put on myself is that I will not allow myself to walk, although there is no harm in walking, it is just not what I want to have to do. Good luck!
  • ndearing0501
    Options
    Thanks for all your help and support guys! You are all helping my to achieve my goal one day!! I appreciate it! : )