Diabetic Losing Weight

Options
:wink: ++I am about to embark on a weight loss program that is supposed to eventually get me off insulin and other meds. Are you diabetic? Do you have a story? What has been your success at losing weight or controlling your blood sugar ? I'd like to hear from you :smile: I might mention that it will not be considered a diet but a lifestyle change. I'm ready to do anything.

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hi Marty!
    I'm a diabetic and on insulin as well...also take metformin and synthroid. I did take an ACE inhibitor for a while, but my endo took me off since my BP was actually too low...I was getting light headed and close to passing out a time or two on the lowest dose.

I'm on here to try to better track my intake of Carbs and try to lose about 10 lbs. My last A1c came in at 7.1 which was up substantially. So....I need to pay more attention to what and when I eat.

Let me know if I can help you in any way.
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic. I have been assigned with the task of keeping mine in check with my diet and exercise. My next check up is at the end of August and I can't wait to see if I have gotten a handle on this. Welcome!
  • pops9653
    pops9653 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 and starting P90X Monday. I am going to lose 40lbs. My goal is to get off Lantus and Metfomin. I have been on lantus for about a month and my triglycerides have dropped from over 400 to 145. My LDL has dropped from 76 to 56. I have been reading the insulin resistance diet. Seems to be working for me. If you don't know already Insulin turns excess sugars to fat. So that is why we have trouble losing weight even when we are eating less.
  • TheEmi
    TheEmi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am on Lantus, met and glipizide for T2. So far, using MFP, my levels have been phenomenal. I have yet to lose weight, though. I think that will drop in the next month with the eating and exercising changes I've made. (Not to say this will be your experience!)

I look forward to seeing how well you all do.
  • debbo10
    debbo10 Posts: 1
    Options
    My name is Debra and I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 40 years. I have always eaten healthy and have found that being on insulin it is very difficult to lose weight. I know everyone is different and I think people who have more than 20 lbs. to lose will lose it easily if they count their carbs and regularly exercise 3 times a week. Since I have about 15 lbs. to lose it has been disappointing but I won't give up the fight. My A1c is always between 7.2 and 7.6 which is a good number so I am not that discouraged. Any other diabetics having weight issues? Thanks and good luck to everyone :)
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jerry and I'm a type 2 diabetic. I'm on Metformin, Glimepride and Victoza. I have lost 24 pounds over the past 7 weeks. I have a goal of 140 more pounds to go. My doctor took me off all starches to get a better handle of my blood sugar and to help with weight loss. I thought he was nuts and thought when he told me that I'm not going to follow that. I have followed that and have taken my blood sugars from the 500's down to the 80's and 90's. I feel better and will stick to this for the rest of my life. Good luck and anyone feel free to add me as a friend.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am Type 2. I have lost 39# to date. I was diagnosed while pregnant and told to get a hold of it or I would end up on insulin. I lost both my parents way to early to Diabetes and didn't want that for me or my children. I have never been on medication. I was prescribed The South Beach Diet by my dietitian and doctor. That and fitness has been my lifesaver. It's been almost 4 years this September thank goodness my last A1C was 5.2! It is a daily challenge to keep up with my "Lifestyle" change. This site and the great advice I have been given have helped me succeed.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Hmm, strange, OP has deactivated account......:ohwell:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I guess he WASN'T ready to do anything.
  • pops9653
    pops9653 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My name is Debra and I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 40 years. I have always eaten healthy and have found that being on insulin it is very difficult to lose weight. I know everyone is different and I think people who have more than 20 lbs. to lose will lose it easily if they count their carbs and regularly exercise 3 times a week. Since I have about 15 lbs. to lose it has been disappointing but I won't give up the fight. My A1c is always between 7.2 and 7.6 which is a good number so I am not that discouraged. Any other diabetics having weight issues? Thanks and good luck to everyone :)

Debra and all reading this post. I have been reading a book called the Insulin Resistance Diet and found that the insulin we are using including our own insulin turns excess glucose into fat. So if your eating more than 30gr of carbs per two hour streach you are making fat in your body. Which makes it harder to lose weight. I try to watch the carbs and link it with protein and it seems to be working. Just a thought.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic, too. I was taken off insulin and put on 2 oral meds after losing some wt. Now I am only on 1 oral med. a day. That is so cool. Losing wt. has really helped me take control of my blood sugar. I try to eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water. That also has helped me be more in control of my blood sugars and my weight loss. Feel free to add me if you wish. My name is Kimberlee, 48.